Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if my Rory is a little bit too scrawny for a being a year old? She just turned a year about a month ago and she still seems to look like she is in her "awkward teen" phase lol. She's healthy and happy (although she was a very sick pup, had parvo) and is full of energy! Love my little girl to death just want to make sure she developing like a healthy golden should! Any info would be appreciated!

p.s. Pictures are attached!

Attachments

·
Premium Member
18,411 Posts
She looks ok. Can you feel her ribs but not see them? That's the measure you are looking for to tell if she is at a good weight. You should be able to see tuck at her waiste and feel her ribs but not see them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the reply mylissyk! No you can't see her ribs you can feel them like you said but they are not visible. She eats off and on through out the day (more of a grazer) but she still looks a bit scrawny and small. Love her either way, just wasn't sure if she should be bigger by now!

·
Registered
998 Posts
I had this issue with Cassie all her life. She's always been fit and trim. But since we're so used to seeing overweight dogs, it looks like we're starving them.

When Cassie gets out of the pool, she looks downright anorexic. But, she's a good healthy weight. (~60lbs)

Rory looks fine to me. Her coat looks to be less fluffy/feathery than some goldens (which is fine), and I think that might make her appear thinner than others.

Being a year old, I'd imagine she's due for her annual boosters and check-up. Your vet will be able to give you a more official answer, but I'd bet they'll say the same as above.

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Some Goldens are just smaller than others. My last boy Homer was a monstrous 100 pounds but a fit 100 pounds cause he was just big boned.
Well above the "Ideal." And I know some girl pups that are spare like your baby. Sometimes it just takes a while for them to fill out more in coat and girth, but judging by her paw size it does not appear she will be very large.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
She looks good to me. Our eyes (and some of our vets' eyes) have become accustomed to plumper dogs. But she doesn't look scrawny she looks lean.

You are the best judge because you can put your hands on her. This chart is what I go by. Many people might think my dogs are thin, but they are lean. My vet is very happy with them.

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I think she looks fine. I agree with Castaway.. She doesn't have much coat and that is probably what makes her look "scrawny". More feathering on the legs would make them look "thicker".

Sent from Petguide.com App

Thank you all for replies!! It's good to know she looks healthy! I too was wondering about her coat it looked a bit thin/flat to me too. My last golden retriever (she passed =( wonderful girl) had a full coat, long and feathery just beautiful! And my poor little Rory is just a late bloomer I suppose lol. Do you think her coat will fill in?? Has anyone had a golden who maybe looked like this for awhile before growing a fluffy/full coat?

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I had this issue with Cassie all her life. She's always been fit and trim. But since we're so used to seeing overweight dogs, it looks like we're starving them.

When Cassie gets out of the pool, she looks downright anorexic. But, she's a good healthy weight. (~60lbs)

Rory looks fine to me. Her coat looks to be less fluffy/feathery than some goldens (which is fine), and I think that might make her appear thinner than others.

Being a year old, I'd imagine she's due for her annual boosters and check-up. Your vet will be able to give you a more official answer, but I'd bet they'll say the same as above.

Yes I got to make her an appointment to go see the vet. I think you are right though, I think she's healthy she just doesn't have much of a coat, she's still beautiful to me though! :D Guess I'll just have to wait and see if she possibly fills out more. If she doesn't well, as long as she's healthy I'll be happy! Just wondered if anyone else had smaller looking golden's who took a bit longer to fill out!

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She looks good to me. Our eyes (and some of our vets' eyes) have become accustomed to plumper dogs. But she doesn't look scrawny she looks lean.

You are the best judge because you can put your hands on her. This chart is what I go by. Many people might think my dogs are thin, but they are lean. My vet is very happy with them.
I agree with you and everyone else on here. Thanks for the chart!! She seems to be healthy to me and the vet always said she looked good (I had concerns about her weight when she was a pup too).

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Some Goldens are just smaller than others. My last boy Homer was a monstrous 100 pounds but a fit 100 pounds cause he was just big boned.
Well above the "Ideal." And I know some girl pups that are spare like your baby. Sometimes it just takes a while for them to fill out more in coat and girth, but judging by her paw size it does not appear she will be very large.
No I don't think she is going to get much bigger than she is now. Have you ever had a golden that had similar fur that later developed more feathering and a fuller coat? She seemed to have gotten a bit more feathering on her tail and belly but nowhere else yet lol

·
Registered
710 Posts
That is pretty much what Roxxi looks like at one, she is small too. From what I understand some dogs don't get a full coat until sometime around their second birthday....we can both hope! ;)

Reactions: Love_myGoldie

·
Registered
2,519 Posts
Thank you all for replies!! It's good to know she looks healthy! I too was wondering about her coat it looked a bit thin/flat to me too. My last golden retriever (she passed =( wonderful girl) had a full coat, long and feathery just beautiful! And my poor little Rory is just a late bloomer I suppose lol. Do you think her coat will fill in?? Has anyone had a golden who maybe looked like this for awhile before growing a fluffy/full coat?
Yes. Again, my late dog Homer was large for a Golden. When he was about a year he was tall and lean and his coat was very spare.
I think he was about 2? when his coat really filled in nicely and he started filling out relative to his height.

·
Bella's Dad
1,833 Posts
Some goldens are petite. Some are not.

Our Bella is 14 moths old. we were just at the vet's 2 weeks ago for kennel cough vaccine.
We weighed her as usual. She's 50 lbs.

The vet gave her the usual physical exam, listened to her heart & lungs & commented "she a good weight", healthy for her frame.

Her mother was also about 50 lbs.

Mike D

Attachments

·
Registered
12 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
That's good to know! Thank you, she's just may take a little bit longer than Sol (my first golden) to fill out. Just hadn't been used to my pups taking longer than a year to fill out but every dog is different.

·
Registered
595 Posts
I've always been concerned about Ripley's weight :) Everyone has told me he just looks too skinny and is growing, so I really should be feeding him more. "Gosh he looks like he needs to gain ten or twenty pounds!" However, vets have told me Ripley is in perfect condition and that everyone is just used to overweight dogs so I really try not to be bothered by it. I want to keep Ripley fit and on the lean side because I'm worried he is going to have some hip problems. Also, now that he has more coat and it is longer, I don't get as many comments about him being so skinny because it makes him look much thicker. He is now about 15.5 months old and I'd say his coat has really started coming in the last few months. Its much longer and a lot thicker in his chest area.

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
No I don't think she is going to get much bigger than she is now. Have you ever had a golden that had similar fur that later developed more feathering and a fuller coat? She seemed to have gotten a bit more feathering on her tail and belly but nowhere else yet lol
Tucker developed fur over time. He has more than enough now! :doh: Right before his second birthday I took a good look at him and was startled to see a full blown Golden tail, butt feathers, and chest and mane. I have to brush him once a day to stay ahead of the fur in the house!

1 - 20 of 26 Posts