Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Goodness, Luke has been itching for half a year now.

He's been switched to a hydrolyzed protein dog food and been eating it for about five months. Still itching.

He's had prednisone (hate giving him that), cortisone sprays, Gold Bond Powder and I can't remember what else.

He's taking fish oil.

I bought him Muttluks so he couldn't tear up his skin when scratching. He's probably sick of the boots after all this time. I take them off for his walks and swimming fun.

I'm going to take him to a dermatologist, but the vet suggested I let him run a thyroid panel before I make the appointment. When Luke was switched to the new food he gained over 10lbs in the period of about a month. I wondered about his thyroid then because I was feeding him less than the bag suggested. He's normally about 70lbs and he jumped up to 82lbs.

I have a call in to the vet because I don't know what a thyroid test entails.

Do any of you have dogs with thyroid issues? Know what the testing entails?

Thanks!

Edit: Oh -- and the worst is when he itches somewhere he can't reach. He just whines. I hate it.

·
Senior Royal Member
5,509 Posts
Daisy had horrible itches on her paws and face. She scratched and nibbled herself until she bled. I switched her to grainfree Blue Buffalo Freedom for Large Breeds and within a week, all the itching stopped.

Max (the human, not the dog)

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Does his food have any grains or potatoes? That is sometimes an issue.

Reactions: diane0905

·
Registered
1,472 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
He's on a prescription diet for the itching -- It's Royal Canin Hydrolyzed Protein -- it's hypoallergenic. He's been on quite a few of the higher quality dog foods -- Wellness, Canidae, etc. and the vet took him off of those because he consistently had runny poop. The vet said they're simply too rich for his system.

He hasn't had a single runny poop since he started on the hydrolyzed protein -- thank goodness.

The vet suggested Atopica so I wouldn't have to take him to a dermatologist, but I haven't liked what I have read about it so I would rather go the dermatologist route to see if they can figure out what his allergies are.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts