Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Sienna somehow scraped her paw pad really bad, left hind leg. She has been limping and working at it. We had an ecollar that we put on her, but our house is so small that it was really hard for her to move around. I washed it this morning. Tried to wrap it but she had it off within minutes. I put some neosporin on it and have been watching her with a water spray bottle to keep her away from it as she really licks it. Any other advice would be greatly appreciated.

I figure we might try the e collar again in her crate tonight. All this and her pee/water problem of yesterday. So far so good on that, no more accidents and no more excessive water drinking. I am concerned that it has happened 2 other times in the last few months though. Maybe it was the chocolate? I was wondering if she had stomach acid as she was licking her chops a little bit, like she had a bad taste in her mouth.

Pointgold recommended the nuskin bandage in a post when I did a search- can't the dog just lick it off??

·
16,000 Posts
I apply the NuSkin (or any brand liquid bandage) and sit with the dog and gently blow on the paw until it is dry. They do not lick it off.

This has worked well for me on several occasions - I do reapply it after they have come in from outside (especially in our snowy weather - which is when I have had dogs scrape their paws breaking through the icy top we get over snow...)

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
peroxide to clean .If it really bad get a sticky wrapping and put sock on it with masking tape to hold it.Worked for us. Its heals very quick,just keep cleaning.Yes,forgot plastic wrapping works better for outside trips on the top of the sock.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks so much, I will try the nu skin ;-) Olga: I did do the sticky wrapping... she had that off... then I tried the sock with sticky wrapping at top to hold it on... she that off within minutes LOL. Will do the hydrogen before the nu skin.

Thank you!!:wavey:

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
She's not a good patient with stuff put on her. She got weirded out when we put it on her pad and kept trying to lick it off even though we made sure it was dry. Her leg was shaking... I feel bad, hope it isn't hurting her.

We had to put the cone back on her. Not the best cone as she can get to the top of her paw if she works hard. Thankfully not the paw pad. :(

·
16,000 Posts
She's not a good patient with stuff put on her. She got weirded out when we put it on her pad and kept trying to lick it off even though we made sure it was dry. Her leg was shaking... I feel bad, hope it isn't hurting her.

We had to put the cone back on her. Not the best cone as she can get to the top of her paw if she works hard. Thankfully not the paw pad. :(

I'd skip the hydrogen peroxide. From how to dress a wound:

1. Hydrogen peroxide is not necessary to adequately clean a wound. The bubbling action of hydrogen peroxide creates oxygen gas -- more than blood can handle. Surgeons using hydrogen peroxide to clean deep surgical wounds have accidentally triggered gas bubbles in the bloodstream (known as a gas embolism), a potentially deadly condition. Very little evidence exists to show the effectiveness of hydrogen peroxide on minor lacerations, and plenty of evidence is published on the merits of plain old water -- so just use water.

*If you are worried about it being clean, use a little Listerine. Antiseptic, drying, and actually seems to soothe raw areas.

·
Registered
2,345 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
It was the NuSkin she didn't like... maybe it was also the smell. She settled down after a while, but we kept the cone on for most of the day. It's been off for a few hours now and she is leaving it alone. She is still limping though, poor thing...

I am more worried about the the pee accidents...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts