Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Does any one here have experience working with Joanne Scott from Scotts 24k Goldens in Exeter, California? I've spoken to her a few times and am thinking about purchasing a puppy from her. I've yet to place a deposit.

My pros and cons at this point-
Pros:
She's very nice and responsive to questions
Very knowledge about the breed
Breeds 1-2 times a year

Cons:
My biggest concerns are the lack of the health certifications online on k9data and OFA. Her champions are definitely on there, but most/all certifications are >5 years old. When I asked, she said that they're filed away at home and can show upon pickup.

1. Does anyone here have experience working with Joanne?
2. Does anyone here have a puppy from her

Any information is greatly appreciate!! Thanks! :)

·
Golden Ret Enthusiast
1,505 Posts
Well not all breeders submit the eyes and heart and some do the DNA testing (PRA 1 and 2, Ichthyosis) but also don't submit them to OFA/K9data. The older the breeder is, the more likely they are just old school and don't submit them. Just ask for copies of the clearances. Any breeder that is a quality breeder and adheres to the GRCA CoE should have no problem supplying you with copies to verify they are done.

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
What health certifications are missing? Can you post the pedigrees of the sire and dam of the litter?

Full disclosure, my dog oldest Jack is one of the champions listed on her site. We do not have a relationship at all with Joanne anymore and have not for some time.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4

·
Registered
2,660 Posts
All clearances are there, but you would just need to ask Joanne for a copy of updated eye clearances on both.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Bump

Anyone else have input on Joanne from Scotts 24k? I might just go with them.
@HiTideGoldens Can you share any input as to why you no longer have a relationship with Scotts? This is a very important decision for me so I want to make sure I get the best possible breeder. Thanks in advanced

·
Registered
6,622 Posts
Strange question, but is it possible to submit fake eye exams to OFA? What does a real eye exam look like?
I would be happy to send a scan to you of a real eye exam. In theory, OFA will verify w their own copy from the vet who did the eye exam so no you can't have a faked eye exam on OFA. People do fake them all the time. Just two weeks ago at a dog show, the gal checking people in sent us off w blank forms, while we went to go get the puppy. She didn't have us pay for the exam but even if she did, the forms left the show site. In that scenario, we could have filled them out ourselves, never come back, and then showed them as eye clearances to inquiries. Goes w/out saying we didn't but that's how it happens.

·
Kate
20,688 Posts
Here's an eye clearance that I had saved online (not sent in to OFA - and there's no point now).

I don't like personal information being out there, so a lot has been scratched out on the left. Nothing has been changed on the right.

This was for my boy Jacks who I lost a couple months ago to cancer.

Best gist of an eye exam is it may last only a minute or two.

Dogs eyes will be dilated before - and eye vet takes a look at both eyes.

Owner (me) - fills out all the personal address information on the left side.

Eye Vet will check microchips and write that information down, check the eyes, and depending on the findings will mark accordingly on the right side - and sign the cert.

On the right side - he will either declare the eyes as "normal" or not.

If the eyes have something like distichiasis (very common), the eye (or both eyes) can't be marked as normal. But it's a breeder option and low concern.

With my little 10.5 year old dog - he had clear eyes all his life. Which was crazy, because he also had teary eyes all his life. <= Which, is my way of pointing out that even if a dog has full clearances including clear eyes every year.... you still need to have a conversation about health with the breeder. And ask questions about what you see with the adult dog.

Primary concerns that I would go over with a breeder any time and every time - even with my puppy's breeder who is a close friend... it's ask about skin health, allergies, stomach issues, etc.

As what the adult dogs are eating, etc.

To answer a question about whether a breeder could fake an eye cert. Probably? I guess it's easy to see how a clearance could be faked if somebody had the paperwork? And had other clearances to use to fake a eye vet's signature and #. Other thing is I don't know how easy it is to contact an eye vet and ask them to verify a client/clearance????

Especially if a breeder doesn't always have original copies of the eye clearance for studs she uses. If they ask, they probably are getting a scanned copy sent over to them. And a scanned copy is a lot easier to fake, quite honestly.

The breeder who hasn't sent the clearances in will have the cert on official paperwork to show a puppy buyer - even though, again - will just provide copies or scans to the buyer.

Anyway. :)

All reasons why having the clearance on OFA - at least within a year of the breeding is best! <= And I'm guilty because I do not habitually send eye certs in to OFA. Even this year, I have a cert filed away and was one of those people pulling it out to send scanned copies to whoever.

But if you think a breeder is likely to do something like falsifying clearances.... to the point where you have to ask them how you know if those clearances are real.... you should probably walk away from that breeder.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,833 Posts
Bump

Anyone else have input on Joanne from Scotts 24k? I might just go with them.
@HiTideGoldens Can you share any input as to why you no longer have a relationship with Scotts? This is a very important decision for me so I want to make sure I get the best possible breeder. Thanks in advanced
My apologies on the delay in response, I'm not on the forum as much as I used to be. I'm not sure if you've made a decision on this litter at this point but you are welcome to PM me for more details.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Sam you need to get the names of the sire & dam of the litter so people can look up information for you. Their website is very out of date... which happens often but no way to know anything about them or their dogs/puppies. So be cautious before committing to anything and get info.
Anyone can build a website and say all the right things, make your decisions on what's real.

·
Registered
10 Posts
@puddles everywhere thank you! Let me know what you think:

I actually found this breeder based on multiple recommendations on this board from engaged members - which makes me feel more comfortable. Here are the links:

I've asked her to send me updated clearances before I submit my deposit which she agreed but I have not received them yet. She seems very old school.

·
Puddles
3,399 Posts
Good job... she is, been doing this a long time. Eyes are the only concern and lots of breeders are bad about sending them in. You should feel safe with this one :)

·
Registered
10 Posts
Thank you! I would've done this completely the wrong way without this wonderful board. I'll pay everyone back with puppy pics soon :)

1 - 18 of 18 Posts