Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
We are all very excited that school will begin tomorrow! I think the cats are most excited! Any one have any pointers I should know? I think our class is only going to have about 4 other dogs in it. One being a golden!

Also wanted to give an update about the neighbor situation.
They came into our yard the other day, while no one was home. I am not OK with this at all. They also backed there car into mine, minor trailer hitch into license plate dent damages,but still...

Anyways, we moved the kitty litter into the kitchen and put the baby gate up in between the kitchen & bedroom/bathroom. Since we only have a shower (no tub) we are training Daisy to "go potty" in the shower while we are gone. Seems kinda gross but its better than having to clean up the bedroom floor...:uhoh: LOL

So far she is doing alright being inside, however she jumped up and knocked the baby gate down this morning, while I was still home. There is no door, just a cut-out so nothing to stop the gate from falling through, which kind of worries me. Also wondering if I should leave the TV on for her during the day, but am worried she will get "addicted"...

The BF is going out of town this weekend so it will be re-decorating/organizing weekend for me to try to come up with a better solution! :crossfing

I bought extra smelly treats (freeze dried beef liver) for school tomorrow so hopefully that will help a bit, and I am going to take her on a LOOONG walk before we go because I am nervous she is just going to be too excited to see everyone (thats just how she is! Life is too darn exciting!:p:) I think I am more nervous than her, we've been practicing commands since I got her because I refuse to be the mother of a "dumb blonde!" ;)

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
I don't know what your finances are like but could you hire a pet-sitter to come in to let the dog out to potty? That might alleviate the potty in the shower situation. That might come back to haunt you later on.
My dogs have learned to stay in the kitchen area while I am gone. They have crates to relax in if they so choose. When they were younger I had the sitter come in to let them out twice a day. Due to a safety issue in my neighborhood I couldn't provide a doggy door for them.
At this point, they are 8-9 years old, they don't need to be let out, they just wait until I return, unless I have an unusually long day, then I hire the pet sitter..
Best of luck to you.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Oh, thats what I forgot! On Sunday we are going to the park to meet a girl who volunteered to walk her for free. If all works out we will write up a little contract and she will come over once a day to take her on a walk and let her out!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I am so happy for you and Daisy. That is scary about the neighbors. Do you have locks on your gates?

I don't see a problem with leaving a tv on, and another option is leaving a radio on.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
Oh, thats what I forgot! On Sunday we are going to the park to meet a girl who volunteered to walk her for free. If all works out we will write up a little contract and she will come over once a day to take her on a walk and let her out!

Great that she's inside, I know Max can knock down our baby gates from time to time. At this point he accepts that when it goes up we are leaving and doesn't try to escape anymore.

This letting someone you just met into your home and trusting her with your dog isn't such a great idea IMO. First of all, she could totally steal things from your house. Secondly, she could be completely irresponsible and lose/hurt/hit your dog. I would never allow a stranger into my home or outside with my dog life's and well being their hands. The fact that this person is willing to do it for free sends off a red flag as well.

Is there a reason you can not afford a professional dog walker? Did you look to find out how much they cost? Or is there not a friend or family member who is able to come and let your dog out during the day? Even for a small fee. My stay at home mom friend from down the street lets Max out every day I am at work and it only costs me 5 dollars a day. It helps us both out. Perhaps you can rotate people. For example, Mondays and Wednesdays X takes her out. On Tuesdays and Fridays your boyfriends friend/family member Y takes her out. And on Thursday Z takes her out. I'm just worried for you that this person you don't know, and she may seem nice and not be as nice as you think, could take advantage of your home and your trust.

Good luck with everything - I know things are more complicated now, but as before, it seems obvious you love your doggy and things are moving in the right direction. Good luck at obedience class!!

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Everything sounds great! Have fun at class.

In terms of leaving the tv on all day, not sure if it matters to you, but I read that leaving the LCD screen tv's on all day long waste more energy and charge your electric bill a ton more than the old tube tv's. I would vote for a radio.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
This letting someone you just met into your home and trusting her with your dog isn't such a great idea IMO. First of all, she could totally steal things from your house. Secondly, she could be completely irresponsible and lose/hurt/hit your dog. I would never allow a stranger into my home or outside with my dog life's and well being their hands. The fact that this person is willing to do it for free sends off a red flag as well.

Is there a reason you can not afford a professional dog walker? Did you look to find out how much they cost?
A professional dog walker would still be a stranger. Letting anyone in your home, even if you do know them, is a risk. But she's doing the best she can. I wouldn't let a stranger in my home, but then there's people who would say I'm cruel because my dogs aren't let out during the day.

I would be a little concerned about her doing it for free too. And not because she'll mistreat the dog or steal something. I'm assuming she's doing it because she loves dogs and thinks its a treat to get to spend time with a puppy. My concern would be after a few days, it getting old and her not being as interested. I think if you could offer just a very small fee, like $5 a day, it would keep her more responsible. But those are just thoughts going through my mind.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
A professional dog walker would still be a stranger. Letting anyone in your home, even if you do know them, is a risk. But she's doing the best she can. I wouldn't let a stranger in my home, but then there's people who would say I'm cruel because my dogs aren't let out during the day.

I would be a little concerned about her doing it for free too. And not because she'll mistreat the dog or steal something. I'm assuming she's doing it because she loves dogs and thinks its a treat to get to spend time with a puppy. My concern would be after a few days, it getting old and her not being as interested. I think if you could offer just a very small fee, like $5 a day, it would keep her more responsible. But those are just thoughts going through my mind.
A professional dog walker can provide many references. To say that the risk of letting a pro dog walker into your home and a complete stranger are comparable is super niave. I'm not going to get this thread off track so just going to say that. There are extra risks involved with letting someone you don't know into your home and with your dog outside the home. I personally wouldn't do it and I live in a small town. If there is another way, I am still going to suggest she looks into it. It's her home and her choice and yes, great that she's doing the best she can. I want everything she's doing to work out for her and Daisy - I would be remiss not to share my concerns and see next week a post about her dog walker loosing Daisy or being stolen from. Maybe this girl is fine, maybe she's not. As I can not afford to replace the more expensive items in my home, I err on the side of caution.

·
Registered
128 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I am going to meet her at the park to see how she is. I will ask for references as well. On the days she does come over I think I would leave Daisy outside so that I do not need to give her a key to my home. Also, our landlords are here all day so that makes me not as worried...

anyways I will let you all know how it goes. First day of school went well! She is the only girl and soooo rambuncious! We have one other golden in the class so thats exciting to see how they are similar/different!

Happy Saturday Everyone!!!

·
aka Ali, Oscar's mom
493 Posts
I'm so glad you are finding some new solutions for you & Daisy! If you are able/willing to make some holes in your walls, you can put in a few nails/pegs to at least brace the baby gate in the doorway, at least against her pushing on it (I would put them on the opposite side as the dog, so she doesn't accidentally catch on them if she jumps up). They do also sell special gates that screw into the wall; however I don't know if you would want to pay for another gate (they can get kind of expensive, although you can always hunt around on Craigslist).

I agree about being cautious about letting someone into your home; however, if it was me, I would be looking for a solution in which you'll need to leave Daisy outside during the day when you aren't home... so fingers crossed that this girl works out for you and/or you find someone else (neighborhood kid? landlord?) that you can trust with a key that will come in daily for free or for a small fee.

And yeah the shower for a potty place isn't ideal... but IMO any solution where Daisy can stay safe inside the house during the day is great!! Did you put some puppy pads in there? That might help encourage her to only eliminate in that space.

I'm sorry if I forgot from the other thread, but I'm assuming the reason you don't want to do a crate is because of the LONG time she has to be alone during the day? BUT if you do find someone who can come inside and let her out during the day, I suggest you utilize the crate for rest of the time. Because although the bathroom is a pretty safe space (so long as you clean up anything she might want to get into), puppies are prone to chewing on evvvverrrything (as I'm sure you know)... e.g. if it were Oscar, I KNOW he'd be chewing up my cabinets!! So yes the crate is more boring but it keeps them safe (and your stuff) safe ;)

1 - 12 of 12 Posts