Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
346 Posts
So do we really know if a soft and fuzzy undercoat that doesn't have the hard longer guard hairs over it is related to spay/neuter at all?
Maybe it's age?
Or hormones (and male and female sex hormones decline with age)?
Or a genetic predisposition?
Or central heating?
Or living near a windmill?
Or a dietary deficiency (or excess)?
I know I've seen it also in Spaniels - could it be related to gun dog or sports dog breeds?
Or dogs who swim?
I'd really like to know what breeders who stay in touch with their puppy owners say - but they might not want to say the puppies of their show champions don't naturally have super fantastic coats...
I'd just really like to know the truth - does spaying or neutering affect a goldens coat or not? I'm not convinced it does. I suspect it's correlation not causation. Does anyone have any evidence either way?
Thanks, H.
I have wondered many of the same questions with what my girls coat will look like. I am especially interested from a genetic side. For the most part, do they kind of fall in line with their parents? Maggie has a lovely coat and I am very interested in how it will change. Most of the puppies we have seen around her age have more coarse fur, and quite a few more curly. For now, she seems to be right in line with what I see of her parents. I know every dog is individual but I think there are generalizations that can be made.

·
Registered
450 Posts
I think there may be a genetic component to it, but spaying/neutering dogs definitely changes their coats. My girl was spayed in an emergency surgery due to pyometra at age 2 1/2. She gets slight spay coat on her hind legs and back of her neck, but I keep it stripped out so you never really see it. My old golden was spayed at 6 months, lived to 15 1/2 years and never had spay coat. I've groomed a number of goldens-none of which were particularly well-bred-and all of whom were spayed/neutered, and the majority had at least minimal spay coat that I would hand strip. There is one particular neutered male who sticks out in my mind as having the most spay coat I'd ever seen on a golden; I've attached a before and after photo of hand stripping his hind leg. Even if a spayed/neutered dog doesn't get spay coat per say, it usually lengthens and thickens. Some neutered males get quite a mane and need to be thinned out to avoid hot spots and other skin irritations from forming. My girl's coat has definitely gotten longer since she was spayed; I don't think its any thicker though, she's always had a really nice coat, but she comes from a good conformation breeder. And it doesn't just happen with goldens-its all breeds. Someone with a Samoyed was complaining about how she wished she would've known about oss before she got her girl spayed because her coat is now so thick that it is extremely difficult to groom. Sammies have much thicker coats than goldens to begin with though. Basically, know that spaying/neutering will probably alter the coat, but to what extent, who can tell? My guess is that a well-bred dog will be less likely to have truly bad coat even if it is spayed/neutered.

Attachments

·
Registered
346 Posts
I think there may be a genetic component to it, but spaying/neutering dogs definitely changes their coats. My girl was spayed in an emergency surgery due to pyometra at age 2 1/2. She gets slight spay coat on her hind legs and back of her neck, but I keep it stripped out so you never really see it. My old golden was spayed at 6 months, lived to 15 1/2 years and never had spay coat. I've groomed a number of goldens-none of which were particularly well-bred-and all of whom were spayed/neutered, and the majority had at least minimal spay coat that I would hand strip. There is one particular neutered male who sticks out in my mind as having the most spay coat I'd ever seen on a golden; I've attached a before and after photo of hand stripping his hind leg. Even if a spayed/neutered dog doesn't get spay coat per say, it usually lengthens and thickens. Some neutered males get quite a mane and need to be thinned out to avoid hot spots and other skin irritations from forming. My girl's coat has definitely gotten longer since she was spayed; I don't think its any thicker though, she's always had a really nice coat, but she comes from a good conformation breeder. And it doesn't just happen with goldens-its all breeds. Someone with a Samoyed was complaining about how she wished she would've known about oss before she got her girl spayed because her coat is now so thick that it is extremely difficult to groom. Sammies have much thicker coats than goldens to begin with though. Basically, know that spaying/neutering will probably alter the coat, but to what extent, who can tell? My guess is that a well-bred dog will be less likely to have truly bad coat even if it is spayed/neutered.
Thanks for your perspective., I bet you see a lot of different coat types. My Papillon, who is now almost 13, had beautiful silky fur that used to be easy to brush and laid fairly flat. He was neutered early on by the breeder, before she would even let him go at almost 4 months old. Just in the last couple years, his coat exploded! I get asked if he is part pomeranian now. You can kind of see in this picture. I would say his coat has probably tripled in thickness. Sorry, can't get the pic to turn right,.

Jules

Attachments

·
Registered
3 Posts
Our Golden weaned her fourth litter in July and is scheduled to be spayed this week. She was on a breeding contract, and the breeder suggested waiting till after another heat cycle in order to get her coat back. The vet disagrees. Any experience? She blew her coat last month, but it is coming back.

·
Registered
666 Posts
Káva has a spay coat. I call her ... "poofy" .... The fur on the legs is incredibly soft ... and it mats .... and it picks up everything, does not drop mud, and creates incredibly snowballs when playing in the snow ..... OTH, it's wonderful to to rest your cheek on when you are using your dog as a headrest.

Attachments

·
Registered
717 Posts
I'm at work, so I can't really share it now. On Winx's K9data page is the last picture of her with a pre-spay coat. That beautiful coat now has lots of little fuzzies that mat horribly. I keep the hair on her belly really short now and use the coat king on the areas you can see. It really turned up the maintenance on my "wash and wear" dog.

21 - 26 of 26 Posts