Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Zak, my 8 yr. old, and Gibson, 14 wks. were wrestling and playing yesterday as they normally do. We bought Gibby a new collar a couple of days ago and it is still a bit loose even on the tightest notch. I figured he would grow into it soon enough and I always remove it when he is crated, but he usually wears it during the day when I am around. All of a sudden Gibson starts yelping and howling and frantically freaking out. I look over and from accross the room it looks as if Zak has him by the neck and is shaking him! I immediately run over and try to separate them. This is when I realize Gibsons collar is caught on Zaks lower jaw and his lower canine teeth. Zak is just trying to get away and this makes it more difficult for me to separate them. He keeps backing up trying to free himself, while poor Gibson is being choked! I finally got them separated after which seemed like an eternity. (realistically it was probably 6 or 8 seconds) It really scared the heck out of me. I was worried that Gibson's neck / throat might be injured but he seems fine. Everybody please be careful about leaving your golden unattended with a collar on, especially a puppy whose collar might be a bit loose. I hate to think what might have happened if I wasn't close by. I know I am going to be more careful in the future.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Great picture....Priceless....... I have heard of this before..... the only one here who wears a collar is Hootie.... Its for the electric fence

·
Bailey's Mom
692 Posts
I agree with the warning. We only use collars when company's here (to keep jumping to a minimum) or when they're on leash. A former co-worker's Rottie was electrocuted when his collar got caught on the a/c unit - he chewed through a line trying to free himself. She arrived home from work to find him. Too sad.

Wonderful picture of your two goldens - it's a classic!

·
Registered
493 Posts
I love your picture. Do you mind if I ask how you managed to have a clean floor and no stuff piled in high places? My house is a disaster since Molly joined us.

Good advice on the collar. I always worry about it. Thanks for the warning.

·
My real name is Sandy
2,375 Posts
Thanks so much for the warning and Im so glad your dog is alright---thank goodness you were there. I have always been against choke collars and very tight collars, I never would have thought that a loose collar could be a problem. You dogs are gorgeous !!!!

·
Registered
465 Posts
Thanks for the post - I never leave collars on my dogs when we're in the house. I can picture something like that happening between my two when they get going!

Absolutely gorgeous picture!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts