Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So while we’ve been more chill at the house since she’s recovering from her spay, I’ve had some time to sit and research some quirks about her.
Just figured maybe someone on here would know something. Or would have experienced this.
Bonnie loves other dogs but as soon as they bark she high tails it as far as she can away from them. It’s made it hard to bring her to my in-laws and even the neighbors dog. Bonnie is a very quiet dog and I can probably pretty easily count the amount of times we’ve heard her bark or even growl. She does it when protecting the house, if the doorbell rings. (Which isn’t very often).
I thought the more she saw specific dogs she’d grow out of it and play with them but she’s one now and still does it. If we’re at my in laws she’ll play with their pittie and sheltie but when the pittie gets really excited and gets vocal which then makes the sheltie get vocal. Bonnie is on the other side of their yard before we can even blink.
Are Golden’s generally not vocal? And is it normal to be scared of barking?

·
Super Moderator
840 Posts
One of the deciding factors into us getting a Golden was that they’re considered a breed that barks less...I’ve found it to be true in my case but, as always, I’m sure experiences vary. Barking is a way of communicating.

As for fear, it can happen in some young animals, but typically, I would expect a Golden to be rather fearless or unbothered in the face of a barking dog, especially if they’re friendly dogs. Was she exposed to other puppies/dogs during her socialization period?

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Was she exposed to other puppies/dogs during her socialization period?
That’s what’s weird, she was! She was in a puppy class, and was always taking trips to my in laws with us on the weekends.
My in-laws dogs are as friendly as can be and clearly try to quiet down when they realize she ran away but their vocal dogs and five minutes later excited again.
my neighbors two year old lab, has always been on the other side of the fence from her and they race up and down the fence together but if that dog barks bonnie says playtimes over and wants to go inside.
we don’t have kids just Bonnie and our mainecoon. So other than the cat talking all the time (When he’s not sleeping, he sleeps most of the day) the house is normally pretty quiet.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
So while we’ve been more chill at the house since she’s recovering from her spay, I’ve had some time to sit and research some quirks about her.
Just figured maybe someone on here would know something. Or would have experienced this.
Bonnie loves other dogs but as soon as they bark she high tails it as far as she can away from them. It’s made it hard to bring her to my in-laws and even the neighbors dog. Bonnie is a very quiet dog and I can probably pretty easily count the amount of times we’ve heard her bark or even growl. She does it when protecting the house, if the doorbell rings. (Which isn’t very often).
I thought the more she saw specific dogs she’d grow out of it and play with them but she’s one now and still does it. If we’re at my in laws she’ll play with their pittie and sheltie but when the pittie gets really excited and gets vocal which then makes the sheltie get vocal. Bonnie is on the other side of their yard before we can even blink.
Are Golden’s generally not vocal? And is it normal to be scared of barking?
Hi Katt,
My girl Rundle was the exact same way growing up. She was extremely well-socialized. Never barked herself. And showed extreme fear to other dogs barking i.e. trying to run the opposite way. I tried to train her out of it - expose her to dog bark sounds on the computer etc. but, ultimately it was something she worked through herself. We moved out of our condo into our house with a backyard when she was ~1yr old. We have 2 big dogs living on each side of us. One day maybe 6mos to a year after we had moved in, I heard her barking in the backyard. She was wagging her tail barking with the other 2 dogs having the best time ever! She's still generally quiet. Does not bark in the house, only in the backyard if there is something to bark at. Sometimes now at 5.5yrs she will tell another dog off if it is barking at her along the path we walk - which would have been unheard of before! So, I'm not sure this is the best advice, but, in my experience it is something they grow out eventually, but, not quickly. It took Rundle a lot of life experience to get comfortable with dogs barking. And there are certain dogs I am sure that would still send Rundle running for the hills. She is terrified of German Shepherds!

·
Registered
156 Posts
Scott is generally a very quiet dog except for the doorbell.... He's sure Amazon are coming to rob the house! 😆
Does Bonnie ever bark herself?
We taught Scott to 'speak' (bark) on command just for fun. We got him all excited and rewarded a bark with a treat, then taught the 'speak' command and linked the two things together. Took about a week or so, when he was about a year old.
Maybe if she feels confident to use her own bark, she'll be less anxious about other dogs barking? That might be a long shot, but teaching 'speak' is fun. Kids love it 😃

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Hi Katt,
My girl Rundle was the exact same way growing up. She was extremely well-socialized. Never barked herself. And showed extreme fear to other dogs barking i.e. trying to run the opposite way. I tried to train her out of it - expose her to dog bark sounds on the computer etc. but, ultimately it was something she worked through herself. We moved out of our condo into our house with a backyard when she was ~1yr old. We have 2 big dogs living on each side of us. One day maybe 6mos to a year after we had moved in, I heard her barking in the backyard. She was wagging her tail barking with the other 2 dogs having the best time ever! She's still generally quiet. Does not bark in the house, only in the backyard if there is something to bark at. Sometimes now at 5.5yrs she will tell another dog off if it is barking at her along the path we walk - which would have been unheard of before! So, I'm not sure this is the best advice, but, in my experience it is something they grow out eventually, but, not quickly. It took Rundle a lot of life experience to get comfortable with dogs barking. And there are certain dogs I am sure that would still send Rundle running for the hills. She is terrified of German Shepherds!
Thank you, it’s nice to hear I’m not alone. Did you keep taking her around other dogs during that fear stage? It almost makes me feel bad to take her around other dogs that bark.
Oh yea she’s terrified of bull dogs 😂 one look at their face and she’s runs. She doesn’t even care if their quiet! Which is funny because we considered getting one as a sibling for her.

·
Registered
222 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Scott is generally a very quiet dog except for the doorbell.... He's sure Amazon are coming to rob the house! 😆
Does Bonnie ever bark herself?
We taught Scott to 'speak' (bark) on command just for fun. We got him all excited and rewarded a bark with a treat, then taught the 'speak' command and linked the two things together. Took about a week or so, when he was about a year old.
Maybe if she feels confident to use her own bark, she'll be less anxious about other dogs barking? That might be a long shot, but teaching 'speak' is fun. Kids love it 😃
I never thought of that! We could definitely give that a try she tends to pick up new tricks quickly. (Except lay down which she’s convinced means come give me kisses) She is however dieting so I’d half to find a healthy treat for it.
She barks at the door bell but it’s more of a Low boof than a bark if you know what I mean. She barked at the cat once when she was still tiny and scared the crap out of herself and the cat.

·
Registered
1,909 Posts
Thank you, it’s nice to hear I’m not alone. Did you keep taking her around other dogs during that fear stage? It almost makes me feel bad to take her around other dogs that bark.
Oh yea she’s terrified of bull dogs 😂 one look at their face and she’s runs. She doesn’t even care if their quiet! Which is funny because we considered getting one as a sibling for her.
I think she might have saved you there! Bull dogs often have all kinds of health problems, moreso than any other breed. Here is an article in Psychology Today if you are interested: Is the English Bulldog a Doomed Breed?

As for Rundle, I didn't find exposure really helped with her fear of barking. So, if she communicated discomfort around particular dogs, I stopped putting her in that situation. Rather I organized playdates with dogs she did get along with or would entertain her on my own. Now I didn't come to this conclusion right away, and Rundle ended up in many situations she wasn't the most comfortable (e.g. at dog parks when all the dogs would get riled up). But, I just found I wasn't doing her any favours by putting her in situations where she was scared/uncomfortable. Perhaps its something I could have worked on with a behaviorist, but, at the end of the day it just wasn't a big deal for me to avoid dogs and situations Rundle didn't enjoy. She's got an incredible temperament, and even does therapy work now, visiting seniors homes and a women and children's shelter. She's still selective about the dogs she wants to be friends with, but, hey... I don't love every person I meet either. And frankly, some dogs are jerks. So, I just follow her instincts. They are usually right anyhow. ;)

1 - 11 of 11 Posts