Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
This is Bailey. She is 12 weeks now. This morning we went out for our morning potty break and it was raining. She was terrified of the umbrella! How should I introduce her to the umbrella so she is not afraid of it?

Attachments

·
Registered
3,097 Posts
My Molly was afraid of the umbrella to! Actually she's afraid of alot of things. Everytime we come across something she's afraid of, I just go next to it, go down and touch it and say ''Look'' She usually comes and sniffs it and then I give her LOTS of praise! After she sniffs it and she sees that it's no big deal she's usually over it!

You can try that. Open the umbrella, put it down and just touch it and say a word like ''Look'' or ''It's okay'' And when she comes you praise and when she sniffs it you praise even more! :D This is the trick that worked for us!

Good luck!

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
Oh she's so cute! What a sweet face!

Maybe try the umbrella closed first? Try putting it on the floor? good luck.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Yes, try putting the umbrella closed on the floor, and try playing with it, like it's the best toy in the world; if she shows any interest in coming to you, have a treat in your hand/pocket to give to her and praise, praise, praise!

Take things in baby steps--as she gets more comfortable with you playing with the umbrella and getting treats, open the umbrella and see her reaction--don't open it in her face, open it on the floor and gently rock it back and forth--see if she is interested. Put treats around it; gradually moving treats closer to the umbrella and have an "umbrella party." See how she reacts with the umbrella in your hand--if she is afraid, again, take a few steps back and begin by holding the umbrella unopened, with treats, then open it--but treat her each time she comes towards you--not when she is backing away. Hope this gives you ideas. If she's not food oriented, try her favorite toy instead.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks for the ideas! Since we are supposed to get a couple of inches over Christmas, I'm going to have to get her used to it quickly! Otherwise we will both be soaking when we come in!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts