Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I think she's hit the zoomies tonight, never understood what you guys have been talking about, if they can be hit at 8 weeks, she's hit them....looks like someones put amphetamines in her dinner!

The constant nipping at hands and feet is the worst bit! lol, doing our best to re-direct this onto her toys at the mo.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
They are pretty amazing. The first time you experience them I'm sure you felt like calling in animal control with the tranquilizer darts. ;) Just wait until they are 70#s and doing the same think. Then you really need to run for cover.

·
RIP Sweet Skyler
9,306 Posts
roflmao

RustyDog & I hit the backyard everynight for zoomiefever!!! 102Lbs of golden blur!! And then he gets his sisters into the act!!! Absolutely, without doubt, the highpoint of my day is to see my pack run with abandon and be as happy as they can be. Of course it takes 30 minutes or so to restore order!!!

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Tess gets the zoomies, too. She usually goes in the attack mode and 'kills' her duck...On the nipping and biting part: she is still pretty good about that. What works for me is a very loud scream: "ouch!". 90% of the time she stops and looks as if I have offended her big time. The remaining 10% she just gets more crazy :doh:.

·
Registered
8,990 Posts
Zoomies are in my opinion one of the greatest moments to experience with our K-9 friends. My boy Tuff gets wound up maybe once a week in the back yard with a comedy show taking a back seat to none!

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
I love the zoomies. Just something about watching them run with total abandon and completely free and happy... Well, it gets almost zen for me. I feel every bit of stress just instantly dissipate and a big smile comes on.

Of course, the other night Angie and Chance were playing in the house and HE got the zoomies around the living room. 90+ lbs running full blast and jumping on the couch... It was something to see. Vicky and I couldn't stop laughing.

·
Registered
1,537 Posts
Mac got a case of the zoomies as I was getting her morning feeding ready; out the door she went and zoom--zoom--zoom--back and forth across the yard she went. Then she came back in to sit before her bowl of food and eat. Zoomies are a regular occurrence when I am in the backyard on poop patrol.

·
Registered
173 Posts
Zoomies use to scare me to death. I will admit. There were times I thought I would have to return my pup for the crazies. Then I read somewhere that its thier way of stretching thier skin over thier ever growing body. Now Joy is already asleep under the desk as I type this. Hang in there and stay with this forum its a great help.

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
There are three things my goldens do that never fail to bring on absolute delight. The first is the head tilt...the look in their eyes is priceless. The second is the arrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuu - both of my goldens have this down pat and I can't get enough of it.

And the final is of course the ZOOOMIES...you're never quite sure what's going to bring it on but once it's on - it's on - I just stand back, try and stay out of the way and smile. It's pure happiness - it just doesn't get any better. Oh the joys of owning a dog - particularly a Golden. :):):)

Pete

·
Registered
5,347 Posts
grab a video camera or regular ,jump on the couch with your feet,enjoy the show.I love zoomies!

·
Registered
341 Posts
What is scary is the zoomies and a Christmas tree. Yikes! Our Riley has run between the tree and the wall pulling the plug of the lights. We have a great tree stand so it has not fallen yet.

Riley is now 11 months old and he is around 75-80 lbs. His zoomies are very loud and crazy. He will run right at you and veer at the last second,lol. What is funny is his running changes. His two front paws start to go together at the same time like swimmer doing a butterfly and he bounces doing it. It is quite amusing. The wife does not enjoy it. So, I have to hide the laughter a bit.

·
and now Chance too!
608 Posts
There are three things my goldens do that never fail to bring on absolute delight. The first is the head tilt...the look in their eyes is priceless. The second is the arrrrrrrrrrrrrruuuuu - both of my goldens have this down pat and I can't get enough of it.

And the final is of course the ZOOOMIES...you're never quite sure what's going to bring it on but once it's on - it's on - I just stand back, try and stay out of the way and smile. It's pure happiness - it just doesn't get any better. Oh the joys of owning a dog - particularly a Golden. :):):)

Pete
Yeah those first two are great as well. I especially love it when Angie starts with the roo roos... Chance doesn't do them.. :( Do any other dogs do that? I've never had another type of dog do it.

·
Registered
64 Posts
We love the zoomies. It makes us all laugh so hard, we just stand back and watch. You never know when they are going to come but when they do Scout enjoys to run in circles around the downstairs, up on the couches, around and under the tables and sometimes she even stops for a sip of water...then continues. Eventually she has enough and is then exhausted and just either stares at us or lays down and takes a deep breath. Enjoy!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts

Pete
Absolutely--I love those 3 things too! We got all 3 tonight from our almost 6 year old Toby! His grandfather (human) was over and Toby entertained us all with the head tilt, roo rooing in conversation and zooming around. When he was a puppy he zoomed two to three times a day. He would zoom horizontally and vertically around the house, going up and downstairs, changing directions, and back again! We filmed one episode and every once in a while we will put it on the big TV. Toby loves watching himself on the big tube doing his zoomie thing!

Our 12 1/2 year old golden doesn't do zoomies but he does have a pretty mean Texas two step he performs for us when he is happy or ready for his walk. Seeing him prance around like that brings tears to our eyes!

·
Daisy-Broken Heart Healer
595 Posts
The zoomies are funny! And it isn't a just a puppy thing. Annie is 7 1/2 years old and still gets them. She got a case of the zoomies in the back yard the other day after it had snowed 18". She was running and running until she ran into a 4 foot high snow drift. It stopped her in an instant. I had to wade in and rescue her (while laughing at her).

·
Registered
401 Posts
Don't mean to appear stupid, but what are roo-roos? I know that Sully acts like a bucking bronco by standing on her head in the easy chair bouncing her legs up and down. All four (babysitting the daughter's boxer) start the zoomies on carpet and then go sliding across the wooden floor. That's funny!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Daisy also has them, at first I was really frightened for her, and a couple times she did hurt herself - skidding on her damp paws straight into the freezer, poor thing, really shook her up, and once she ran into a really solid heavy wooden foot stool which made her really yelp.

Since I now take her to the local park and let her run herself on her 80ft lead, it's really great to watch her exhert all that energy, and run it all off. Now she only 'occassionally' goes mad in the garden/house.

Took us a few months to stop the biting of hands and feet, but now she's virtually finished teething, she has really settled down

·
Mom to Fyodor & Gibson
1,303 Posts
Gibby's almost 17 months old and somehow he seems to have them more often now than when he was a young puppy. DH and I encourage zoomies in our house and I can start a zoomie in Gibby by giving him a sideways, mischievous glance and kind of crouching my shoulders a little. And sure enough, he ZOOMS over to me and back and forth. He's hilarious. He doesn't nip or bite (I should hope not, he's old enough.) but what he does is zoom from one side of the room to me and let out one crazy loud bark as he makes a screeching U-turn right by me, runs back to the other side of the room, and barks again as he makes the U-turn... back and forth, back and forth with that crazed look in his eyes. I lurve my crazy boy. :)

1 - 20 of 22 Posts