Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Jill -- Maisie's "Mom"
563 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK -- maybe this is weird and maybe it doesn't matter, but Maisie (7 months) is scared of metal objects. I first noticed it months ago when pot lids or pans clattered; those don't bother her now, but baking sheets, etc, still were, so I started giving her treats and kibble in/on a variety of old pots, lids, pizza pans, etc. She's gotten better but is still skittish.

I got her a largish metal bucket for Christmas hoping to keep her toys in it (and maybe teach her to put them in it). She afraid of it -- of course... I started the treat and toy process with it last evening. But she won't put her head in it to take even her favorite treat out of it. She just sits down, looks at the bucket and barks in frustration. When I tell her "No bark!", she looks at me like I'm a meanie. Maybe I shouldn't bother? I'm just concerned that she might have to do something involvling a metal surface at some point when it really matters. (I though maybe the clinking of her tags against metal bothered her, so I took off her collar, but that didn't matter.)

Attachments

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
<reread about the tags>
It may take a while (days weeks) for her to beleive that the awful noise isnt going to come back...
you could hold the pail and let her lick a smear of peanut butter from the outsides...then slowly (over several days) place peanut butter deeper and deeper into the bucket...then as she gets more comfortable...move the bucket to the floor...then add a toy to the bucket that she needs to move to be able to lick the peanut butter..

Reactions: jluke

·
Tess and Liza
6,075 Posts
Maybe you can make a game of it: hide her favorite toy and really high value treats in it, and 'find' them for her. Make a huge deal of it, get her interested. Drop them near the bucket, closer and closer, and then in it. Take it slowly. Sit on the ground with the bucket between your legs. Make it feel 'safe'. I still remember the first time I took Tess to New York, and she had to pass the water valves in the walls. They sort of look like an animal. There was no way she would get past them. I started petting the iron valves and 'feeding' them treats. That got her attention! And the moment I got her interested, she wasn't afraid anymore.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts