Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found two pea size bumps on Coopers neck and they are rough on top like scabs. One has a "loose" piece on top that moves back and forth when you move your finger across it. He won't let me get a good look at them. They are right around where his collar lays sometimes. Any idea what these could be and should I be worried? My hubby thought it could be bumps from where he got his shots when he was a puppy. Thanks in advance for the help.

·
Registered
12,628 Posts
Has he been playing with other puppies? I know my dogs get occasional scabs on their necks from playing roughly.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
I was thinking about the playing with other pups. Check his armpits and under his back legs to see if he has any there either. If he does he could need a vet visit. How old is he now?

·
Mom to Bailey & Burgundy
4,217 Posts
Hmmmm...strange!! I was going to post a thread about this regarding Bailey...she has these bumpy scab like things all over her inner thighs...they have developed over the past 2 weeks... They don't look like real scabs, and come off quite easily, almost as if they're just dirt??? But I know they aren't...because the skin underneath them is pink. It's very strange... almost like bug bites, but that doesn't make sense this time of year and she takes protection against that...I will post pictures when I get home tonight... I will make a new thread, don't want to hijack yours any more :)

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
If he played with other dogs, it is probably from that. Especially when they were young Sammy and Barley had scabs all the time...

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Hmm.. yes he played with another dog over Thanksgiving. He had something like this on his chest a while back but I didn't feel it this morning. It's a pretty big lump. He doesn't have them under his armpits or anywhere else. I had the thought about his collar but we don't have it as tight as it could be. I just looked again (the little that he'd let me) and it does look like maybe he got nicked while playing. The one is a pretty raised bump though. This one that I could get to is flat and definitely looks like a bloody (dried) scab. They were jumping all over each other like crazy pups. I'll have to see if they go away.

He's almost 8 months (Dec 12th). I don't notice any excessive itching but some.

·
Barley & Mira's Mom
3,489 Posts
I would defiantly think it was from playing! Mine get scratched up all the time when they play. If you feel you need to do something you can put a little bactine on it. I do that with mine now when they get scratches…

·
Registered
50 Posts
Lily had these and they were precursors to a hotspot/skin infection.
Keep a close eye on them and if they spread/get bigger go see your vet :)

·
Registered
119 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was afraid someone was going to say the "hotspot" word but I honestly don't know exactly what a hotspot is. ?? What are they caused from?

·
Registered
151 Posts
I was afraid someone was going to say the "hotspot" word but I honestly don't know exactly what a hotspot is. ?? What are they caused from?
Hot spot is an moist lesion/wound. They are usually from excessive scratching or licking, the skin would then infected with bacteria and the dog usually won't leave it alone and keep scratching/licking it so the wound would heal slowly

1 - 11 of 11 Posts