Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Should I take him to the vet now or later

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone my 8 and a half year old boy Tommy has some scabs right above his ear, and right under. Some areas have dry blood and others just feel like crusted over but white (they feel hard and if I really Picked at it (I wouldnt) I could Take the scabs off) He is very hairy I can’t see it all to well. I’ve read up on scabbing with dogs and I’ve heard a type of lymphoma is linked to scabbing. His scabs have been there for maybe 3-4 days that I at Least noticed but he did have an ear infection cause he went swimming a lot last week and I forgot to clean his ears completely every time (which makes him scratch his ears A LOT) My mom thinks these scabs are just because of his scratching but I’m just concerned it could be something else. Has anyone dealt with scabbing? What did they feel like? Did you go to the vet? How long after did they clear up if they did? Should I go to the vet with him? My mom says to wait at least 2 weeks to see if they clear up.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Welcome!

I would take your boy to the Vet now so whatever is going on doesn't get infected.
Problem is my mom says she wants to wait to see if it clears up since his ear is no longer itching, we are putting anti bacterial at night before bed and we will wait 5 days, if we don’t see improvement then she will go

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Could be the start of hotspots. My boy gets them under his ears, and the one time I discovered them before they really exploded into hotspots they just felt like little scabs.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Could be the start of hotspots. My boy gets them under his ears, and the one time I discovered them before they really exploded into hotspots they just felt like little scabs.
Sorry another reply, I’ve noticed that he hasn’t been scratching it anymore and it seems like they are healing up. Is it worth going to the vet over?

·
Registered
1,314 Posts
Could you post a photo? When Denver had scabs, they literally tuned into hotspots a couple days after I noticed them, and then treating the hotspots was all about cleaning them and keeping them as dry as possible to let them scan over again and heal.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Could you post a photo? When Denver had scabs, they literally tuned into hotspots a couple days after I noticed them, and then treating the hotspots was all about cleaning them and keeping them as dry as possible to let them scan over again and heal.
It honestly looks like a scab that I have On my knee

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Hi everyone update on the scabs, most of them are gone now since we bathed him yesterday and a lot where loose and came off, so we are not taking him to the vet until his wellness check which is on the 2nd of June.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts