Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,213 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
People keep asking me if I'm sad about turning in our first litter of puppies next week to Canine Companions for Independence. I'm really not. I'll miss them, for sure. But, as they turn 7 weeks old, I'm seeing that they're really ready for (and craving) the individualized attention that the volunteer Puppy Raisers (PRs) will be able to give them.

While we give each puppy alone time with us, there's no way we can provide all of the attention, personal interaction, and love that a litter of 8 puppies wants and deserves. I'm excited to see them heading off to PRs who will be able to give them all of that. (Plus my washing machine is going to enjoy the break. Mercy. That machine has never worked so hard in its 11 years. A litter of puppies generates SO MUCH LAUNDRY!)

Social media has made it possible for me to already know where 6 of the 8 puppies are going. I'll be able to follow their progress through the puppy raising stage and find out which ones have a change of career and which ones go on to become service dogs to someone with a disability. Plus, seeing how excited the PRs are about getting their new puppy late next week makes it impossible to be sad.

And now we rest until we do it all over again with Maisy's second litter.

Attachments

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
The two litters that I had last year was one of the most rewarding things my family and I have ever done. My breeder always said she thinks of it as providing a service. I have seen grown men cry when they meet their new puppy. Most, if not all of the homes, have had a dog that went to rainbow bridge, these puppies helped fix the new owners broken hearts. As much as I miss these puppies, I am so happy for the new families that they went to. I remember when we brought home every single dog that I have owned, how much this changed our lives and made our family more complete. I see the new children leaving with their new best friend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts