Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 21 Posts

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Some of you may remember that we lost our boy golden, Sunny, at 8 yrs old to hemangiosarcoma ? and we also lost our girl golden, Abby Rose, at 14 1/2 years to pneumonia. I struggled thinking about getting another golden. After a year it became clear to us that we are a golden family. All of our vacations and our very lifestyle revolves around activities with our Goldens. After some searching, I chose a girl from a male that I adored from afar! I saw his offspring and looked for an upcoming litter. We had to wait for breeding and babyhood and finally picked her up on August 15.

It has been so long since we had a puppy we were hardly prepared for the stages. Thankfully the stages go quickly! I am retired and am glad to not be sitting as much anymore, now that I have Meadow. That was a big part of my decision to have another golden. I’m also building muscle strength handling her. That’s a bonus. We’re currently trying to decide when (or if) we will spay her, and we’re amazed at how hard it is to decide how much to feed her. She’s growing so fast!

I just wanted to say hello to friends here and introduce Meadow. She’s a sweetheart and crazy smart.

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Crescent City CA. I tracked down potential litters for a male I was in love with. He’s a field golden, dark. Gorgeous. ?

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
That was at a hotel on the three day trip home from up north. She was ours from the beginning. Completely comfortable wherever we went, and in the car. She’s more work now than she was on the way home, lol.

Edit: Question... when I do a quick reply to someone, why doesn’t it say who it’s to? Thanks

·
Registered
781 Posts
That was at a hotel on the three day trip home from up north. She was ours from the beginning. Completely comfortable wherever we went, and in the car. She’s more work now than she was on the way home, lol.

Edit: Question... when I do a quick reply to someone, why doesn’t it say who it’s to? Thanks
Yeah, idk why that doesn't really appear to function. I thought it would throw in a @whoever but nope. Just hit the "Quote" button on the post you're replying to and then it'll be clear.

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
Success with crate today!

I left Meadow and went out for an hour today and she slept the whole time. I used the Alfred app on my phone to watch her. She is not like our other two Goldens, who accepted the crate (sometimes begrudgingly) from the start. Meadow has her own way. She had a fear of being left alone and we just haven’t wanted to traumatize her by forcing it. We slowly introduced her to time in the kennel and she was able to sleep in it at night pretty quickly but leaving the house is iffy.

She can go from sleepy to a barking panic in a few minutes. But today, during her longest nap, midday after lunch, I snuck out with my granddaughter to get art supplies. I watched her sleep and get up a couple times because of wind outside but she laid back down quickly. She was out when I got home. I’m so glad! This girl, when she is bothered, spares no volume letting you know. I liked the Camera app so much I’m going to get the premium.

Still working on these hard subjects... biting, mouthing, digging, eating everything, they all take time. We’ve been here before with these issues. ?

Attachments

·
Registered
192 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Meadow at 5 months old

Well, it’s been a month of craziness with Meadow. She has, in the last week, lost the last of her puppy teeth and drove us crazy while doing it! She was, shall we say, wickedly bitey! And stubborn. And resistant to training. Whew. I hope it was the teething.

She just sort of turned from puppy into preteen, seeming to understand, or at least listen to, what we are saying and asking. We kept saying, did someone bring us a different dog?

She has decided she DOES like lying on my lap to take a nap and she can sit still for awhile while I do something besides play with her, so that’s a huge leap forward. And of course she seems huge! Lol. We’re still struggling with her lunging at us like a crazed animal, usually during potty trips! It’s hard to get her stopped and under control. The thing that works best, since most commands don’t work then, is to get her sitting and rub her chest and shoulders. She likes that. But we have had to put her in a time out several times this week for not stopping. Time out is when nothing else works, diversion, back to basic commands, freezing in place, sigh. Sometimes nothing works and she goes into attack golden retriever mode. Then we know she’s too tired.

It’s hard to remember what puppies were like last time, in 2003 and 2007. But she seems to be as different from each of our past goldens as they were from each other! She is her own girl, this one. Very bright, very bossy, very talkative.

Oh, and we just solved the car seat belt problem. We have a Jeep Wrangler and it’s so small, it’s hard to keep her from getting up front with us even when she has a seat belt to her harness. We found a Dog zip line that we attached across the top of the back end of the wrangler, then the zip line leash attached by caribiner to the zip line. It keeps the leash up high and now she doesn’t get tangled in it like when we attach to the seat belt latch. We can adjust the length of leash to let her come up to the console but not get up front. I mention it in case someone else has this problem.

I can’t figure out why one of my photos isn’t right side up. ?

Attachments

·
Super Moderator Leader
47,283 Posts
I can’t figure out why one of my photos isn’t right side up. ��
You may need to reduce the size of it, usually when they load sideways or upside down, it's because the picture is too big.

1 - 20 of 21 Posts