Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We got our new kitten, Emme, on Sunday evening. I know it has "only" been 4 and a half days..... But Sawyer is driving me CRAZY. He is obsessed with her. Mind you, we have always had cats during Sawyer's life, though they were full grown (2 years old) when we got Sawyer. He has always been respectful, calm, and sweet with the cats. We really haven't allowed Emme to be free in the house when Sawyer and Quinn are home. When we take them for walks, or to the park, or on a ride somewhere, we let her wander and she does great. When they are home, she is either blocked off (with closed door or a baby gate) in our bedroom or up in the cat tree/stand thing. Sawyer will not move - he lays in front of the barrier, or sits at full attention staring up at her in the cat stand/tree. He literally trembles when he is watching her, you can see it from where you stand. I have held her and let him sniff her and he is very nice - he sits and doesn't overwhelm her. The few times she has jumped down and moved around with him in the room, though, he loses it. He pounces after her and tries to approach her. She gets scared, arches her back and hisses like crazy.

I know it's only been less than a week. I know I have to give it time, but it isn't getting any better. Honestly, I am so annoyed with him right now, I could scream. He only very hesitantly leaves his "post" to eat and go for walks, but even that takes a little coaxing (which is CRAZY, because he lives for those two things). She's sooooo teeny tiny right now, that he could hurt her without meaning too. He isn't being aggressive at all, and I know that he means no harm to her. He is NOT cat aggressive. He has never behaved this way with Cooper (some of you may have seen the video I posted this past weekend with Sawyer "holding" Cooper's toy for him).

I thought I was a seasoned veteran when it came to having a dog and cat household, but this is a whole new ball game for me.

Any advice or suggestions???

·
Premium Member
5,218 Posts
I know when my uncle had his Golden, Milo, they introduced a kitten into the mix. Milo had grown up with cats but never a kitten. The first thing my uncle did was just put the kitten down in front of Milo and milo approached the kitten and smelled him, kitten got scared hissed and Milo ran away in fear! Milo was 1 year at this point and was terrified of this small little kitten. The kitten quickly learned he had the authority just like that and could get Milo to do anything! Soon enough though the kitten and Milo would sleep together and the kitten would actually suckle on Milo's lips when he was sleeping. It was quite cute :) I think its still early so not to worry. Maybe have Sawyer on a leash and let the kitten walk around him so Sawyer see's he doesn't have control, the kitty does!

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
I have a maine **** that is terrified of both dogs, she is 7 years old and lives on our second floor or the basement ( she sneaks between floors ) - so whenever the dogs see her it is a game of chase. I think a lot of this started at her breeders. Her breeder had a 7 month old GSD, and told me that the dog chased her a lot and I witnessed it happenning too.

My 2 year old siamese Willow came to us as a kitten and was afraid of Brady the first month and because of her fear, they did have a few "chases". Now she loves Brady and rubs up against him, and he has learned to stay still because he loves it.

MacKenzie was introduced to my my siamese when they were both about 4 months old. MacKenzie always plays chase with her. Because of this I the dogs know that the top floor (our house is three levels, top level has 2 bedrooms ) is off limits so the cats have a place to feel safe.

One thing that surprised me, last week we were in the vet's office in the examining room they have a big bench to sit on, I was sitting with MacKenzie beside me on the bench, and my daughter let Willow out of the crate, she curled up with MacKenzie, I was totally shocked. I noticed that since then, she has been a little more tolerant of MacKenzie.

Over the years with various cats and dogs, I have noticed different relationships between them - but the first week of all introductions is always the worst.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Our old golden LOVED baby kittens, so much so, he would raid the neighbors barn and if a cat had a litter he would bring it back to the house, where he held it and would lick it so much it was soaking wet. When we took the kitten back, he would usually in a few days go get the same one again. He had plenty of adult cats to play with and loved them too, but not like he loved any baby kitten. I was just afraid he might harm them, but he was so gentle.

I am with you though about watching him, cause the kitten is no match for him yet..heck you know what to do. Would L-O-V-E to see pictures (hint, hint)

·
Registered
10,950 Posts
I know when my uncle had his Golden, Milo, they introduced a kitten into the mix. Milo had grown up with cats but never a kitten. The first thing my uncle did was just put the kitten down in front of Milo and milo approached the kitten and smelled him, kitten got scared hissed and Milo ran away in fear! Milo was 1 year at this point and was terrified of this small little kitten. The kitten quickly learned he had the authority just like that and could get Milo to do anything! Soon enough though the kitten and Milo would sleep together and the kitten would actually suckle on Milo's lips when he was sleeping. It was quite cute :) I think its still early so not to worry. Maybe have Sawyer on a leash and let the kitten walk around him so Sawyer see's he doesn't have control, the kitty does!
have nothing to contribute to this post--sorry! just need to tell Jamm that your picture of Joey Jax is one of the best I've seen on this board. The smile on your dog's face is just too good! :D

·
Registered
14 Posts
Maybe letting them interact with Sawyer on a leash would make the kitten less exciting. But, I hate to say this, you're probably going to have to wait it out. They'll get there and the kitten will figure out how much control she can have by hissing!!!

That said, I'm going on four months and the cat is still very reluctant. Its a waiting game.

·
Curator of the Coy Zoo
770 Posts
Jazz is still nuts about the cats - strong prey drive! She and the one inside play the chase game with each other all the time, but they are both having fun. She'll walk right next to the one outside and ignore him for weeks, but if she sees him slinking off to jump over the 6 ft fence (he has a cat house next to the fence he uses as a halfway point) the chase is on! Other times he rubs up on her!

Darby loves the cats. He'll nuzzle and nudge the cats and is as gentle as can be. He's actually helped de-sensitize the outside cat to Jazz a lot.

It takes time, sometimes a lot of time, but they usually find a way to live together.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
My dog Jenny is exactly the same way with new cats. She just has to get used to them and then she doesn't care anymore. Try having him on a leash around the kitten and maybe he'll see that it's no big deal.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
When A.J. (the cat) adopted us he was maybe 8 months old, so not tiny but still young. Maggie was about 1 year old. They met and apparently Maggie got too close, A.J. gave her swipe across the nose and from then on Maggie respected A.J.'s space. As long as the kitten can get away, I wouldn't worry.

·
Registered
4,872 Posts
Our dogs are both obsessed with our cats. The cats initially HATED Jack, they tolerated Chloe when she arrived but only because she's slightly less obsessed with them. Jack got popped in the nose once by our cat Louie and that was the end of trying to play. Our other cat, Petey, just always ran away but he's a little...um.... husky so he doesn't move too quick. We always had to take extra precautions with him to make sure he was safe. Now the cats actually seem like the dogs as long as they're being calm. Both cats will snuggle with the dogs on the couch and they seem to enjoy being licked by them too.

As long as Sawyer knows he can't play with her, I imagine they'll be fine eventually like ours are. I would actually keep Sawyer off leash and have the kitten in your arms/lap. That way they know the cat is "yours" versus a toy.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
I think we've made some progress last night/this morning. She has been out and about with everyone, including the dogs. Sawyer still REALLY wants to be with her, but she is holding her own and walking around out here despite him. He licked her ears (and derriere) until she was wet last night. She didn't really seem to mind, surprisingly. I hope we continue on this path and everyone keeps getting used to each other. I so miss the relative peace and coexisting at my house.

·
Super Moderator
4,315 Posts
We introduced Asia to my son's new kitten(8 months old) when she was on leash. He doesn't live with us but visits evry week. At first the cat hissed and arched but he is now the boss and Asia respects him and doesn't get in his space. At first she was obsessed with him and would try to chase him but that has gotten alot better. The cat who is now about 10 moths old, no longer hisses but would rather not interact with poor Asia and she so wants to be friends with him, poor little girl. I'm sure Sawyer will calm down and learn that your kitten rules the roost because they seem to!

·
Missing Selka So Much
17,303 Posts
Sawyer just wants to have fun!! : )

Sorry, I am sure it makes you want to pull your hair out. I don't have any suggestions either (not a cat person, allergic) But hope he calms down some!

·
Registered
4,350 Posts
Lucy was horrible when she was first with us. I know she's only 8 lbs. but the obsession she had with my cats was awful. She would chase them relentlessly. It was not a friendly chase, either. She meant business.

The novelty of the cats eventually wore off for her, but it did take at least few months if I remember correctly. It's been less than a week for Sawyer and I'm betting that he'll be fine; he's probably never seen a kitten before and his curiosity is in overdrive. Lucy still gets up the cats' butts on occasion, but most of the time there's peace in the house.

Attachments

·
Registered
788 Posts
With in the past month I got two new kittens (two weeks apart) and Nyah was the same as Sawyer. She wanted to play with them soooo bad but she plays too rough and don't realize that cats don't play the same way she does. The first kitten was great. We got both from a rescue and the first one was only there for 3 hours before I got her. She would let Nyah stiff and play with her and just laid there and took it. After about a week she became more comfortable and began sleeping/playing with her.

The second Kitten not so much. What a difference. This one was at the rescue longer (although they said she appeared to 'like' dogs) she was terrified of Nyah because Nyah would keeps running after her trying to play. This kitten (anna) kept hissing and clawing at her (Nyah kept cornering her). We have a glass solarum in the living room that we have made the cats room and opened it up a crack for them to go in and out she she spent most time in there, but finally just this past week she stopped the hissing and clawing(still does it occasionally) and I even caught her laying next to Nyah twice and she even licked her!

Give it a few weeks until the kitten is comfy with everything/everyone.

The calical one is Sophie(the one that loves Nyah) and the tuxedo kitten is Anna.

Attachments

·
gone
1,443 Posts
Aww the pics are cute. Love the one on the bed when both are on their backs. When a cat sleeps on his back this means that he has total trust of everyone in his house. The stomach is the most vulnerable spot on the body and to expose this he KNOWS that he is safe and loved.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have two cats. The Ragdoll...Charlie in the pic, couldn't care less about dogs. He allows Bella to push him across the hard wood floor with her nose like a hockey puck. The other cat is a bit more cautious and will run when he sees a dog. Nothing like asking for it, huh? I wish the other cat would learn to just chill like Charlie.

I'm not sure if they'll ever be spooning together (like these two) but I keep trying to desensitize them to eachother. Some days are better than others but it continues to be about wanting what she can't have.

·
Logan & Lacey in R hearts
1,814 Posts
Glad to hear things are improving a bit. I was also going to suggest having the kitten out and about with Sawyer. Since it does not sound like he is being rough with it, he just wants to be close to it.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts