Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi! Does anyone know if Sassafras goldens in Albany GA is reputable? They seem mostly really good from what I’ve seen but I know they have a DukexReba liter coming and I’m able to find Dukes OFA clearances but no health clearances for Reba? Is there somewhere else I should be checking?
Does anyone have experience with them or their dogs?

·
Registered
9,327 Posts
Duke has a nothing pedigree, but he does have clearances (eyes are out of date and UGA is taking appts now so there is no reason not to have current eyes). It's 5 generations back before you see the only two other dogs in his pedigree w any clearances.
Reba has no clearances and has been old enough for a while... her lackluster 5 gen pedigree also has only one animal 5 gen back with anything on OFA. If these are inexpensive puppies, like $1k or so, it may be worth a gamble if you are able to purchase insurance. For such pedigrees, these dogs are more attractive structurally than some of the slicker websites w ECGR being sold.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,855 Posts
Interesting, Robin. Thanks. I only know one dog from Sassafras, which is Ready, a very influential dog from back in the '90s. Sad to hear about these pedigrees.

Reactions: goldengolden2

·
Registered
443 Posts
Interesting, Robin. Thanks. I only know one dog from Sassafras, which is Ready, a very influential dog from back in the '90s. Sad to hear about these pedigrees.
Not anywhere near the same kennel or breeder. No surprise; I know of at least 3 people currently using "Sassafras" as a kennel name and none of them are reputable.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Duke has a nothing pedigree, but he does have clearances (eyes are out of date and UGA is taking appts now so there is no reason not to have current eyes). It's 5 generations back before you see the only two other dogs in his pedigree w any clearances.
Reba has no clearances and has been old enough for a while... her lackluster 5 gen pedigree also has only one animal 5 gen back with anything on OFA. If these are inexpensive puppies, like $1k or so, it may be worth a gamble if you are able to purchase insurance. For such pedigrees, these dogs are more attractive structurally than some of the slicker websites w ECGR being sold.
Thank you so much for the insight! Your replies on these forums have been extremely helpful in navigating the good and bad of the breeders out there.
I was able to see Reba’s genetic testing results which looked alright, I’m definitely worried about the lack of OFA but the cheaper price does mean more savings/ better pet insurance budget which could mean a lot for a pup later in life.... I’ll keep all of this in mind.
thank you!

1 - 5 of 5 Posts