Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I signed up for a class with **** to do "nose works" and it was advised to bring stinky treats. So I made sardine treats and I caused my husband and younger son to evacuate the downstairs last night. And my husband told me I stunk up the house this AM!

The recipe: one sleeve of graham crackers(cinnamon preferred),3 eggs, can of sardines in oil and not drained. If the crackers don't have cinnamon, add 1 tsp. If the sardines are in water, add 2 tsp oil. Crush the crackers and mix everything together. Place on a cookie sheet and spread out to 1/4 inch thickness. Cook at 375 for 25 minutes, checking every 5-10 minutes (if there are bubbles, poke with a toothpick). Cool completely, cut into 1/4 inch squares, refrigerate. The recipe did not call for greasing the cookie sheet... I would either do that or use parchment paper or the non stick aluminum foil.

·
Registered
1,392 Posts
I love sardines! Ima make some of those for me! (just kidding).
Thanks, we'll try it.

·
Registered
1,653 Posts
Well, does **** love them? Did they pass his quality control tasting? :p:

I found it so funny that the recipe specifically asks for the cinnamon graham crackers!! as if most dogs are so discerning..... :D

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Maybe I should make some! Thanks! Let me know how he does!

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
So I made sardine treats and I caused my husband and younger son to evacuate the downstairs last night. And my husband told me I stunk up the house this AM!
I bet that stunk up the house. Fiona gets her sardines out of the container into the dish. Can't imagine cooking those things, the broiled Haddock and seared scallops stink enough around here. I do enjoy sardines myself on crackers, good stuff.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Actually, the cinnamon defuses the eau de sardine! Did **** like them? Ha! The whole crew liked them...except for when my girls have false pregnancies, my dogs are not exactly finicky.. The true test will be if they work with his nose tonight!

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Actually, the cinnamon defuses the eau de sardine! Did **** like them? Ha! The whole crew liked them...except for when my girls have false pregnancies, my dogs are not exactly finicky.. The true test will be if they work with his nose tonight!
We will await ****'s verdict with "baited" breath. ;)

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
I'd like to order 3 pounds please, advise price including shipping :D:p::D

Reactions: Sally's Mom

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
The treats worked... **** is a tad weenie, but his food drive overrrided his fear of getting his head stuck in a cardboard box. I think he has a really good nose as I have done some tracking with him and he seemed to take to it. I am just one of those people who needs specific instruction and does better with private lessons(not for the nose work class, but tracking and obedience)... sigh.

Reactions: Dallas Gold

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
The dogs love salmon treats...they would be nutso for sardines treats!
Me...not so much~ :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
A person in the class tonight had cooked turkey hearts...bleeech...

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yay for ****! He must of loved having you all to himself! : )

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
He did. Doing something like this would be fun for Penny. It is low impact as far as I can see! ****, initially was all about the people... doesn't get out enough... but it seemed like his humongous nose kicked in... and then it was fun!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
And **** is so loyal... he is fun to work with and I have forgiven him for vomiting all over my center console in my car.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
He is putting that nose to good use! I have thought about it for Penny. I do a lot games here with her. I have a few of those wood treat puzzles that she is really good at. My client's like to hide treats and have her find them at work as well. Maybe i'll look into it.

I am glad you forgave him, how could you not! He is to adorable!

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
She is doing a senior dog nose works class... I think Penny is technically senior..

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
Yeah, I would consider Penny a senior, even though she does not act like one! : ) She is 8 going on 9! I will have to send her a message.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Good thing you don't need to put the treat in your mouth.

When I took attention classes, we had to keep the treats in our mouth for the dogs attention - cheese and hot dogs were the only thing my dog got.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
When I did the attention training, I could not put food in my mouth. I have to say I have issues with saliva and spitting... it's my own personal issue...

1 - 20 of 22 Posts