Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
243 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Thank you all who responded to my first post!

Called the vet back today to ask about thyroid levels and I learned that they didn't test her blood for thyroid levels! What? I was kind of perturbed since I had told them when I was there that I'd hear some behavioral issues are due to thyroid issues.

Apparently, they don't do the thyroid testing at the vet itself...they send out to another lab for that...so they did take her blood but it was for a CBC and chem panel and heartworm. The thyroid test is not 'included' in the general blood test they give and especially not the one that tests all of the different thyroid levels.

Like I said in my first post, my dogs have been very healthy so I don't have a real in depth relationship with my vet. They go once a year for vaccinations and a check-up that does not include blood tests and that is about it. I don't live in a very populated area in Indiana so I am sure my vet clinic is not 'cutting edge.' And now I know that I need to ask for specific things if I want them done.

The vet said they'd be happy to do a thyroid test if it would make me feel better. But she cautioned me that Sara has no weight issues, no skin/fur issues, no infections, lethargy or any other symptom that might indicate thyroid problems. I guess I need to decide how far I want to take this.

But tonight after work I started some of the suggested training exercises. Had both Scout and Sara sit and stay about 6 feet away from each other and then I took turns putting a toy in Sara's mouth, taking it from her and giving to Scout. I did not tether them b/c I figure in an real instance of aggression the chance of Sara being on lead is pretty small. And they need to listen to my commands off and on leash.

She did REALLY good...much better than I thought. They do know their commands well so getting them to sit still and stay a few feet away from each other was pretty easy. But, when I started exchanging the toy, Scout didn't even want to take the toy at all. I think he's still leary of her. Ultimatley, I got him to take it. We did this for about 15 minutes back and forth and back and forth. Twice Sara popped out of her sit to get the toy during Scout's turn (nothing aggressive or mean...just walked toward him) and I told her 'no' and put her back.

After our little training session, I pulled out 2 bones for them to each have. When Sara tried to go near Scout, I told her 'leave it' and she did. As soon as Scout was bored with his bone and walked away, Sara scarfed it right up...like usual...but she did not take it away from him (like usual).

We'll keep this up.

Again, thank you so much for the warm welcome and great training ideas.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
It sounds like you are on the right road to get Sara to where she needs to be. Keep up the great work and thanks for the update.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I strongly encourage you to go through with the thyroid test. My dog didn't have any of the symptoms your vet mentioned either. The only symptom he had was an sudden inability to handle stress and unexpained dog aggression. Got him tested and sure enough he was low.

I think the test through Dr. Dodd was $65. I think it's worth it because if it's a medical issue then all the training in the world can't make it go away. She may come back normal, but if not the medicine is cheap.

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
I also would strongly suggest the COMPLETE thyroid panel. Oftentimes behavioral issues are the first sign. It's easily treated with oral medication which is not expensive. I'm glad the training went well tonight... I think you're on the right track. And like I mentioned in my earlier post, many vets are not as well educated on thyroid disease as they should be. A low normal reading is actually LOW for a golden and needs supplementation. Please read Dr Dodds site for more in depth info and what you need to do for a consult. I posted it in my earlier reply.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts