Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all,

Im looking to get a Golden Retriever puppy in the upcoming months, and I've been doing some research on breeders that are near me. I am in New York, but I've been looking at Sapphire Goldens in MA. They have stellar reviews, and all pedigree and health certificates are available to browse on their site.

I do not see any red flags from a look-over of the website, but I'm also not experienced in this realm. Does anyone have experience with this breeder or see any striking red flags?

Thank you!

·
Registered
226 Posts
At a glance, looks fantastic. If you have a specific pair or breeding you're looking at, you should also drop the names here so we can check them out.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Hi all,

Im looking to get a Golden Retriever puppy in the upcoming months, and I've been doing some research on breeders that are near me. I am in New York, but I've been looking at Sapphire Goldens in MA. They have stellar reviews, and all pedigree and health certificates are available to browse on their site.

I do not see any red flags from a look-over of the website, but I'm also not experienced in this realm. Does anyone have experience with this breeder or see any striking red flags?

Thank you!

They have wonderful reviews, but just a heads up, I got no response from them when we began our golden search spring 2022. We emailed and left a voicemail questioning any upcoming litters, never heard from them. I just would have appreciated a note saying "no upcoming litter plans", or frankly any communication at all. Thankfully we ended up with an amazing golden from CT in August! Good luck!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
They have wonderful reviews, but just a heads up, I got no response from them when we began our golden search spring 2022. We emailed and left a voicemail questioning any upcoming litters, never heard from them. I just would have appreciated a note saying "no upcoming litter plans", or frankly any communication at all. Thankfully we ended up with an amazing golden from CT in August! Good luck!
Thank you so much! I reached out and have not heard back. I put through an application, but not sure if I'll ever hear back. Fingers crossed!

Do you have any recommendations for a breeder or even the breeder you used? Would you be open to sharing your experience? Thank you!

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
@kittypup23 New England is FULL of great breeders! This thread will give you a great start: Looking For Breeder Advice [New England]

I also know we have a bunch of threads on breeders in NY or the NY area. Just use the "search community" bar at the top of the page to find them!

• Helpful
Reactions: njdglvr

·
Lead Super Mod + Administrator
2,889 Posts
Not a single dog is listed on k9data.

Rose: only has one eye exam on OFA, if you're looking at a litter from her, you need to ask for copies of the eye exams between 2019 and now.

Violet: same issue as Rose. Only one eye exam.

Lila: Only one eye exam shown on OFA.

London: appears to have failed elbows. Only one eye exam on OFA.

I'm not going to keep going, because I think 4 dogs shows a pattern... Either she isn't doing annual testing like she should, or she's only posting one year so she can get a CHIC number on her dogs and then isn't bothering to send in the rest.

This is just a personal opinion, but I find it concerning that this breeder wouldn't put her dogs on k9data. Their pedigrees are posted on the website, so someone with time could input each girl and any of her missing ancestors. I also find it concerning that several of her girls appear very close in age. AND without the dogs being on k9data, there's no way to tell if she's actually involved in the breed or not. One win photo from a long time ago doesn't prove continued involvement.

This bit bothers me too, "Sapphire Golden Retrievers is at #6 out of 50 Award Winning Golden Breeders in the USA" Number 6 at what exactly?

·
Premium Member
2,507 Posts
This bit bothers me too, "Sapphire Golden Retrievers is at #6 out of 50 Award Winning Golden Breeders in the USA" Number 6 at what exactly?
That bugged me too, so I did a quick Google search and found this: Best Golden Retriever Puppies - The Top 50 Breeders In America

According to their site, their criteria is based on "[aggregated] data from online customer reviews across a number of platforms [combined with their own] in house ranking that cover everything from web and social media presence to positive local media coverage." They also "place a high emphasis on customer suggestions and submissions we receive."

In other words, the folks doing the ranking don't know Jack about Golden Retrievers, or what makes a reputable/ethical breeder, and personally I'd scratch this breeder off my list just because they brag on something like this (FWIW, the "Top 50" website puppy/breeder listings also contain a lot of "designer breeds" - aka mutts).

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Not a single dog is listed on k9data.

Rose: only has one eye exam on OFA, if you're looking at a litter from her, you need to ask for copies of the eye exams between 2019 and now.

Violet: same issue as Rose. Only one eye exam.

Lila: Only one eye exam shown on OFA.

London: appears to have failed elbows. Only one eye exam on OFA.

I'm not going to keep going, because I think 4 dogs shows a pattern... Either she isn't doing annual testing like she should, or she's only posting one year so she can get a CHIC number on her dogs and then isn't bothering to send in the rest.

This is just a personal opinion, but I find it concerning that this breeder wouldn't put her dogs on k9data. Their pedigrees are posted on the website, so someone with time could input each girl and any of her missing ancestors. I also find it concerning that several of her girls appear very close in age. AND without the dogs being on k9data, there's no way to tell if she's actually involved in the breed or not. One win photo from a long time ago doesn't prove continued involvement.

Thank you so much! Yea, once I took a deeper look and with your assessment, I’m going to cross this one off the list.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts