Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting Roxy groomed next week, is this something that should be done? Last time I had a different groomer do it(she recommended it), she shaved so much of Roxy's fur off her belly. :( Any Advice?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
Does Roxy have an exceptional amount of fur in that area or trouble grooming herself? If not and she gets bathed regularly I would probably skip it since you've had a bad experience once. Just my 2 cents.

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I guess it depends if she has issues with getting poop stuck to her feathers. If she does, maybe do a small clipping, but by no means to shave the area.

Reactions: daddysgirl

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
On a female you should not clip any hair off the belly. You do for a male if they have a tendency to get urine on his coat. On a female you should just trim a bit around the anus and then maybe trim a bit of the feathers back there.

Reactions: daddysgirl

·
Registered
2,160 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Be specific about exactly what you want. Can you find a photo that shows a clip you like and take it with you? Maybe someone here can post a good photo.
It's hard with Roxy, she is a curly Golden! After she's groomed it always seems like they cut too much off :(

Attachments

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
Looks like she's quite a beauty. And the fur on her belly looks way too short!

I had (and lost in 2011) a big guy who had similar feathering. His photos won't help you, but I hope someone else will post pix that will help.

·
Registered
2,085 Posts
How long after the clip were those photos taken?

Unless the hair on her stomach was matted there is no reason to clip there. Plus, the total clipping down of the pantaloons (but feathers) is not a sanitary clip. Once again, the only reason to do that type of clipping is if the hair is matted or if the owner specifically requests it.

If you can't find a picture draw one or write down a list like

-do not clip the stomach
-do not clip the pantaloons
-clip only up to 1" around anus
etc.....

Good Luck.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts