Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've started leaving Jonah out for a few hours in my 1/2 acre "pasture" that is totally fenced in. For entertainment he has started digging in a few spots. So, has anyone tried building a sandbox to help directing where digging is appropriate? I've thought about putting his toys in there and let him go to town in the sandbox so he will quit digging up the plants on my Border Collie's grave!!! Any advice on this will sure be helpful.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
Anything to get keep his attention would probably help the issue. Probably just a matter of boredom and not a matter of having the urge to dig specifically.

·
Registered
1,488 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
He does tend to want to be the center of attention and he usually gets plenty of it when I'm not at work. But it would sure be nice if he would just play for awhile and whack himself out. I walk him daily and we do obedience training after that.

·
Registered
142 Posts
I actually watch an episode of Its Me or The Dog where trainer Victoria Stilwell did just that. Seemed to work for the dog on the show. I thought it was a great idea! Good luck!

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
I don't think dogs dig just because they're bored. Hank is a digger big time, he digs when his brother is here to play, he digs when he's outside alone, he digs when we're out there with him. He likes to dig! Our backyard looks like a mine field.

I think a sandbox could work IF you could get your dog interested and stay interested in a particular area. Hank moves his interest around.

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
When I first brought Daisy home, there was a sandbox ready for her (we lived in a rental). She loved it! I didn't have a problem with her digging anywhere else. I put lots of toys in it, she had a blast.

I too don't think that dogs dig just out of boredom. It's a natural activity for dogs. Still for Daisy, some 9 years later, digging is one of few activities that sends her into the zoomies. I love to see her dig :)

But she's not a digger really. She will dig up the dirt sometimes to make a cooler place to lay down but she seems to instinctively know when digging is okay and when it's not.

I say yes, give your boy a sandbox :) It will be a healthy, fun activity for him and with training and supervision, I think you definitely would be able to save the plants on your border collie's grave.

·
Registered
2,107 Posts
I don't think dogs dig just because they're bored.
I too don't think that dogs dig just out of boredom. It's a natural activity for dogs.
I said probably a matter of boredom, not necessarily. Goldens aren't necessarily a digging breed by trait (like a Westie is). I also said that because the OP mentioned he would leave the dog in the yard for a few hours by himself. I mentioned boredom as a potential cause of the digging due to those circumstances.

I did not mean to insinuate that ALL digging is a result of boredom because it is not.

Goodluck with your sandbox and let us know if it works.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts