Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to meet others who have acquired dogs from Sandar Golden Retrievers in Tehacapi. One of your posts says Oprah's dogs may have come from there, too. If you rescued, adopted, fostered - anything, please respond to this post. I have a 7 yr old from her and want to meet others who have not had a good experience. This is important for the safety and health of all goldens. Thank you for responding

·
Einstein's handler, lol
258 Posts
Hmmm, I live 30mins away from Tehachapi in Bakersfield. I'll keep an ear out. I know there are some members on here from Tehachapi too.

http://www.sandargoldens.com Just so people reading this post know. Looks like they haven't updated their site in a couple years. Not much "golden" about all their white retrievers lol.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thank you for feedback. I have a feeling this breeder keeps under the radar. Her name is either Susan or Jennifer Arn (she uses both first names)

·
Registered
539 Posts
Got my first non-mixed golden from her in when she was in Rosamond, near Mojave. She had hip dysplasia and had a TPO surgery at 9 months old. She lived to be almost 14 years old and died in 2011 from cancer. This was before Jennifer/Susan became a huge doggy-mill type-operation. Yes, my golden was lighter in color, but she was so sweet and smart. I think I was lucky in that this dog did not have any issues other than not being able to run full blast. When my dog died I searched the Internet and found this forum....it helped me so much in knowing what kind of breeder to look for and to be sure all the health clearances were there and then I got my new puppy in November of 2011 from a wonderful golden breeder. And the good breeder was NOT SANDAR.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hey i got a pup from Jennifer in feb 2010 and he is 4.5 years old now and on the small side 63 pounds lean and the best pup ever, not one health problem at all and he runs or walks at least two hours a day and eats very healthy. I would recommend Jennifer anytime and a lot of the health to dogs is by how they are fed and treated exercise wise. My wife and i are both fitness people and we treat Emerson the same way and he is so healthy knock on wood and would recommend Sandar anytime and still do.

·
Registered
1 Posts
We got our beloved girl from this breeder in January of 2000 and she was an amazing dog. She was the sweetest and most beautiful golden I've ever known, and the best pet you could ask for. She was also very healthy, never had any hip or eye issues, no cancer, etc. We were lucky, but we also attribute this at least in part to good genetics. Of course, we took care of her as we would any member of our family. We lost our sweet girl a few weeks ago-- she would have been 15 in December. I read the negative stories about Sandar online, as well as the whole thing about Oprah, etc., and I'm wondering if there is any recent info out there suggesting things have improved with this breeder. Does anyone have any recent experience with them?

·
Kristy
10,074 Posts
We got our beloved girl from this breeder in January of 2000 and she was an amazing dog. She was the sweetest and most beautiful golden I've ever known, and the best pet you could ask for. She was also very healthy, never had any hip or eye issues, no cancer, etc. We were lucky, but we also attribute this at least in part to good genetics. Of course, we took care of her as we would any member of our family. We lost our sweet girl a few weeks ago-- she would have been 15 in December. I read the negative stories about Sandar online, as well as the whole thing about Oprah, etc., and I'm wondering if there is any recent info out there suggesting things have improved with this breeder. Does anyone have any recent experience with them?
I'm so sorry for the loss of your girl, having her till age 14 was a wonderful run but it never does seem like enough time.... You can check the Orthopedic Foundation for Animals website and it will allow you to search the names of individual dogs and also search kennel names to find out if the dogs have proper health clearances registered for Hearts, Hips, Elbows and Eyes. That can be a start in seeing whether the breeder has "cleaned up". However, if things were not being done right in the past, I would not get my hopes up that thing are being done to the standard of the Golden Retriever Club Code of Ethics now. Bad breeders rarely see the problem with their methods and are often in it (especially with the lighter colored dogs) to make money. They do not change.

Please make yourself at home on this site, check out the stickies on the top of the boards for researching breeders and puppies etc. Check out the website for the Golden Retriever Club and familiarize yourself with the information on recommended health clearances and what makes a good, reputable breeder. If you decide you are ready to add another GOlden to your home, please come back and post a thread to ask questions and request guidance on what you find. Golden Retriever Clubs are the best place to begin looking for referrals to good breeders. AN internet search is the worst generally because a pretty website is not a good way of judging.

Orthopedic Foundation for Animals

Golden Retriever Club of America GRCA: The Official AKC National Breed Club

·
Registered
1 Posts
I am looking to meet others who have acquired dogs from Sandar Golden Retrievers in Tehacapi. One of your posts says Oprah's dogs may have come from there, too. If you rescued, adopted, fostered - anything, please respond to this post. I have a 7 yr old from her and want to meet others who have not had a good experience. This is important for the safety and health of all goldens. Thank you for responding
We rescued 2 pups from a creep who bought them from this breeder (born Sep 2013); turns out one has hip dysplasia and one has elbow dysplasia. My concern is we've contacted the breeder to let her know but she's not responding.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I am reading of all the negatives on here about Sandar. I wrote before and my pup is a little Over 5 now and the best pup ever. As in people, a lot of illnesses and problems comes from the lifestyle of the person or pup. If the dog is let get fat and no exercise or no healthy lifestyle then the dog just as people will get fat lazy and ache

Emerson has walked or played two hours everyday and veryyyyy healthy. He couldn't be cuter or a better disposition.

I don't know why people keep knocking sandar the pups couldn't be cuter or w a better disposition. I am not into breeding emerson but when people meet him I have been offered 5k for one of his pups because of his disposition personality and looks they immediately fall in love with him. Give your pups love healthy environment exercise daily and don't leave them for hours and hours at a time, treat them with love and as a family member and u will be surprised how they will be and their health will thrive

·
Registered
2,672 Posts
I am reading of all the negatives on here about Sandar. I wrote before and my pup is a little Over 5 now and the best pup ever. As in people, a lot of illnesses and problems comes from the lifestyle of the person or pup. If the dog is let get fat and no exercise or no healthy lifestyle then the dog just as people will get fat lazy and ache

Emerson has walked or played two hours everyday and veryyyyy healthy. He couldn't be cuter or a better disposition.

I don't know why people keep knocking sandar the pups couldn't be cuter or w a better disposition. I am not into breeding emerson but when people meet him I have been offered 5k for one of his pups because of his disposition personality and looks they immediately fall in love with him. Give your pups love healthy environment exercise daily and don't leave them for hours and hours at a time, treat them with love and as a family member and u will be surprised how they will be and their health will thrive

People have posted personal experiences just like you have. Nothing wrong with that.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Sandar Follow Up

We rescued 2 pups from a creep who bought them from this breeder (born Sep 2013); turns out one has hip dysplasia and one has elbow dysplasia. My concern is we've contacted the breeder to let her know but she's not responding.
Can you tell me where she is physically located now? I understand the local animal facility is now rescuing her dogs before re-locating them the a golden ret. rescue group in no. ca Thank you for your post.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,766 Posts

Wow. Please point me to the people who will pay $5000 for such a puppy. I could use the money. :D

I know nothing about this breeder, but based on this thread did a google search and came up with this ripoff report: Ripoff Report | Susan Aka Jennifer Arn Sandar Golden Retrievers Complaint Review Tehachapi, California: 148791

BAD BREEDER! Was busted with over 75 dogs in her possession, convicted in LA County of multiple Animal Control violations, and suspended by AKC so she moved to Kern County, changed her name, and continued to breed in open defiance of law and common decency. She lies about health clearances, lies about the ancestry of her puppies, and produces at best marginal quality pups.

Search Antelope Valley Press (Antelope Valley Press) archives for proof on the Animal Control conviction. AKC Gazette published the AKC suspension notice.

According to recent reports, she has over 30 Goldens again and continues to puppymill.
That's certainly alarming. And the breeder seems to find negative posts and respond with a bunch of positive comments from supposedly independent people. Which also happens here on occasion, when a bad breeder starts an account in a fake name to respond to negative comments with positive ones.

I should probably add this to my list of SoCal breeders, with some caution indication.

·
Esquire Golden Retrievers
4,766 Posts
Wow. I clicked on their website and then randomly clicked on a dog. First of all, they sure have a LOT of dogs! And the one I clicked on...poor thing...looks just horribly put together. This is listed as "Lucy" (who looks pregnant in this photo):

That poor girl is going to have mobility issues, if she doesn't already. Same with this boy, "Joni," although it looks like it could actually be the same dog as Lucy.

Yikes. :no:

·
Desert Dweller Goldens
463 Posts
If there isn't a category here already...A shady breeder with their name and address would help clean up the industry or at the very least warn others when looking for a purebred. It would need to be monitored more that the others for negative spam..which is about dollars and not the industry.

just a thought.

added: Read the Rip Off report and this part raised a red flag for me:
She breeds only her best dogs and donates the pups who do not meet the OFA health certification to a rescue.
Really?? Is that the purpose of a Rescue?

·
Registered
539 Posts
I find it interesting that the ONLY positive support for Sandar Goldens are from people who have only 1 or 2 posts on this forum

. My previous golden that lived to almost 14 -DID NOT get hip dysplasia from "being fat" or having "an unhealthy lifestyle." It was due to the breeding. That she lived to almost 14 years was due to a TPO surgery, a healthy lifestyle, lots of love and lots of money spent on vet care.

·
Desert Dweller Goldens
463 Posts
I find it interesting that the ONLY positive support for Sandar Goldens are from people who have only 1 or 2 posts on this forum
Thats spam damage control...I noticed on a rip off forum that some company was hiring some india company to talk about how Blue Buffalo was making their dogs sick and some that said their dog died from it...there were 3 a day from different user names and it went on and on and on for it must have been 6 months..you could see the india pattern after reading a few. What people will stoop to for profit.

added: An Admin can look at the ip address of those in support, who have 1 or 2 post and see what members registered under that IP..and delete the posers..that's how you keep it real

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
The picture from DanaRuns looks exactly like my rescue. She was rescued from Sandar almost 3 years ago. Even the worn spot on her elbow is in the same place. This breeder is not ethical and has a criminal history and a history of mental health issues. Those of you who have had a good experience are lucky, but don't be misled. Do your own research and you will find the posts made against her are based on fact, not on personal feelings. It is my understanding that her "cast offs" are now picked up by an animal facility in So Calif and then a golden retriever rescue groups goes and gets them.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts