Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Hi everyone!

Has anyone’s pups experienced a sand impaction from a trip to the beach? I kept an eagle eye watch on my pup while there, but apparently between digging holes, playing fetch with sandy toys, and just nose to the sand, my 4 month old developed an intestinal obstruction that was really scary! (Required a midnight emergency evacuation in the middle of the night from Martha’s Vineyard due to no emergency pet services on the island, but that’s a dramatic story for another day!)

After an inpatient hospitalization, my pup finally passed what looks like about a cup of sand and is now on the mend. I have NEVER experienced this before and definitely have brought dogs to the beach! Anyone else have this happen or aware of this possibility? I’m so scared to ever bring him back, but boy did he have fun at the beach!

picture of him licking his nose takes on a whooole new meaning now 😳

·
Super Moderator
3,991 Posts
I have seen this but not quite as severe. A person was taking his dog to a sandy dog park and doing retrieves with him. I saw the sandiest stools. The dog ingests a lot of sand just retrieving bumpers.

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
I read about that before I took Rukie to the beach last sumner. Between stories of sand impaction and salt water causing vomiting it was a little scary. I'm glad he's okay!

·
Registered
390 Posts
We had an issue with Ranger after taking him to the beach at least 100 times previously with no problems. For some reason, he kept digging (which he never did) and trying to eat the sand. I thought I stopped him from ingesting it, but he managed to eat some. I took him to the vet that evening after he seemed very lethargic and they did an X-ray and told me he was blocked up, and recommended that I give him mineral oil. He did not need surgery. He passed the sand after the mineral oil- and there was a lot. The only thing we can think of was that perhaps someone spilled some sort of food product in the sand or buried something under the sand that he found tasty. He never did it before, and he never did it again. Glad to hear that your pup is okay!

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
We had an issue with Ranger after taking him to the beach at least 100 times previously with no problems. For some reason, he kept digging (which he never did) and trying to eat the sand. I thought I stopped him from ingesting it, but he managed to eat some. I took him to the vet that evening after he seemed very lethargic and they did an X-ray and told me he was blocked up, and recommended that I give him mineral oil. He did not need surgery. He passed the sand after the mineral oil- and there was a lot. The only thing we can think of was that perhaps someone spilled some sort of food product in the sand or buried something under the sand that he found tasty. He never did it before, and he never did it again. Glad to hear that your pup is okay!
Thanks!! This was my pups first time at the beach, so I’m completely paranoid to bring him back! I didn’t see him eat the sand either, just retrieving a sandy tennis ball! Good to know you had 100+ times at the beach with no issue :) we will try again some day!!

·
Registered
142 Posts
Our Watson experienced a serious sand impaction when he was 11 or 12. He was just picking up sticks and junk from the beach, but he doesn't swallow stuff so I didn't think anything of it. Before we got to the car, he was vomiting. He vomited sand, rocks, grass and sticks 10+ times in the car ride home, which took 3 hours. He was crying and miserable, and we just had to get home. I stayed up with him all night, watching for him to get worse. He was feeling better by the morning. Then he started pooping sand. For 5 days he pooped sand castles. I didn't think it was possible for him to have consumed so much sand!!! Anyway, I think it would be much worse for a puppy, but any dog can get sand impaction, and it can be deadly. Enjoy the beach anyway, but be aware if he's getting a lot of sand in his mouth.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts