Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We've had Samson now for about a year and a half, and he has always been a picky eater. He started off as a puppy by eating his dry food sparingly so I started mixing in with canned food. This worked for a while until he decided that he didn't like this way of me preparing his food and just didn't eat, for days at a time he would get by on food that my son would drop (or give him when he begged), stealing the cat's food or by snagging a pork chop or two that was left on the counter. All he would eat was straight up canned food, which I really didn't want to be a part of his diet to begin with. During this phase I was extremely frustrated, he didn't seem like a healthy dog, he seemed depressed and his shedding was out of control. Then I read that you shouldn't feed your dog food thats main ingredient in corn or wheat or meat by products, so i went to Petco and purchased Blue Buffalo Wilderness. I picked the salmon flavored kind, since he seemed to enjoy eating the cats food. And lo and behold he still would not eat it. For some reason I had an idea the grind up the dry food in a food processor with some water to make a paste out of it. maybe even through in a hard boiled egg. Now he gets excited to eat. Its like he knows that after his morning walk hes gonna get breakfast. Its been about a month now and he seems so much healthier and the shedding has definitely gone down a lot, and most importantly he seem much happier.

·
Registered
1,296 Posts
Has the vet checked his teeth over? It seems like he doesn't want to chew and I am wondering if he has a bad tooth or a bad bite that hurts if he eats crunchy food. Glad you have found a solution.

·
Kaye
731 Posts
glad you sorted it out, Jasper was a bit picky with his food when he was about 8 months old but i just think he didnt like the food, threw in a bit of mackerel and it worked like a charm!
'Millie'sMom' makes a good point though, might be worth checking out.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts