Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My soon to be new puppy comes to me with a call name I would like to change to Jake but there is another dog listed from the same kennel with the same call name. Is it considered poor etiquette to have 2 local dogs from the same kennel with the same call name? I thought I might try to spell it differently like Jayke or some other spelling to differentiate between the 2 dogs.
Any thoughts as to whether this would be a problem?
The other Jake shows in conformation and I show in obedience.
Thanks!

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
I would ask the breeder her thoughts. If it's a big breeder that's produced hundreds of dogs, I don't think it's a big deal, there's sure to be repeat names. If it's a smaller scale breeder that's had limited litters, she might have stronger feelings against it.

·
Griff's a Muffin Thief!
3,165 Posts
Griff was going to be a Finnigan (His mother's name is Seraphin aka Finni) but when the breeder told me "he won't be the first" I decided to change the name.

I am rather partial to the name Jake though... ;)

·
Registered
2,500 Posts
having the same call name is not a big deal.... registered name is more of an issue... but call name is no big deal.... I have a Cuinn.... (pronounced Quin) a puppy person of mine named her puppy Quin .... who cares... its a call name.... the call name won't go on any registrations or show point things.... it won't be printed as an official name anywhere... except maybe your own obedience classes or whatever... I wouldn't worry about ... if you like the name jake name your pup jake....

·
Registered
7,496 Posts
I like the name Jake! Talk to your breeder, but I think it would most likely be okay since the AKC will use his registered name.

·
the party's crashing us
4,473 Posts
Since Jake is a very common name anyways I don't think it'd be a problem. If you wanted to name him something unusual that was the same as the breeder's other dogs, that would be a little weird.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Hi there,
Thanks for all your in-put on this. As soon as I get my Golden boy home and see how a name suits him I'll make a decision. I like Jake or Jayke but I do have a few alternates...just in case.

·
Registered
8,164 Posts
One thing to keep in mind is that Jake is a very common name. Make sure you'd be okay with going to a class/trial and there being three other Jakes there.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
One thing to keep in mind is that Jake is a very common name. Make sure you'd be okay with going to a class/trial and there being three other Jakes there.
Good Point! I actually was thinking it might be too common. I'm also considering "Dante" along with a list of several other options....oh my, it's a good thing it is a dog and not a human baby I'm trying to name!

1 - 10 of 10 Posts