Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So we put our Max on Salmon oil (grizzly) 2 days ago. Instead of the 8 squirts (1 per 10 lbs), I've done 3. His poop is runny now. I had forgotten that this is why we hadn't kept him on fish oil in the past. It had caused this in both Max and Di. Is there something that I'm missing here? Is there something that we can do to still give him the oil, but it won't cause runny poop?

Since the values on blood came back with elevated kidney issues, the vet put him on a prescription food (K/D, then we put him on Royal Canin instead). He didn't have any reaction to the new diet-he never does. We put him on the milk thistle pill a few days later. Poop was firm. Then a few days later with the fish oil, runny poop.

·
Carol
478 Posts
We have Oakley and Seger on Grizzly Salmon Oil as well. From the get-go we have never had trouble with runny poops. I was just wondering about how much you are giving. I use the 64 oz pump bottle and it says for dogs over 75 lbs (which our's are) give 4 pumps total per day. If your bottle says 10 squirts, then we must be using a different size - 10 squirts sounded like lots compared to what we give. I know our bottle does say start with half the recommended dose and see how they tolerate. Sorry I have no advice but just wondered because the amount jumped out at me.
Carol

Reactions: PrincessDi

·
Registered
1,062 Posts
Ruby has the same effect when given any type of fish oil. Back in November the vet had her try AllerG-3. It is the only fish oil that has not caused the runs. It comes in a gel cap and you have to puncture it and squeeze onto food.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We have Oakley and Seger on Grizzly Salmon Oil as well. From the get-go we have never had trouble with runny poops. I was just wondering about how much you are giving. I use the 64 oz pump bottle and it says for dogs over 75 lbs (which our's are) give 4 pumps total per day. If your bottle says 10 squirts, then we must be using a different size - 10 squirts sounded like lots compared to what we give. I know our bottle does say start with half the recommended dose and see how they tolerate. Sorry I have no advice but just wondered because the amount jumped out at me.
Carol

Carol, I got the 8 oz bottle to try out. So the squirts are smaller than the larger bottle. The dose on the bottle says 1 squirt per l0 lbs and Max is 80 lbs. Instead, we have him at 3 squirts X 2 per day.

Ruby has the same effect when given any type of fish oil. Back in November the vet had her try AllerG-3. It is the only fish oil that has not caused the runs. It comes in a gel cap and you have to puncture it and squeeze onto food.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
I use Iceland Pure for my dogs, Cruiser being the biggest, weighing in at 85 pounds , he gets 4 pumps and we have never had any issues. Im thinking 8 pumps is way to much.Try cutting it back.

·
Registered
6,628 Posts
I have the runny poop problem when I give the salmon oil to my dachshund, so he does not get it anymore. My two other big boys do fine on it, no problems. I guess it depends on the dog and their sensitivity to different things. Which is really odd, because my dachshund, that I found a year ago as a stray, will eat anyhing under the sun if I do not watch him and will not get an upset stomach. Give him salmon oil and a whole different story.

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I use Iceland Pure for my dogs, Cruiser being the biggest, weighing in at 85 pounds , he gets 4 pumps and we have never had any issues. Im thinking 8 pumps is way to much.Try cutting it back.
Maggie's Mom-I ONLY GIVE HIM 3 PUMPS! The package says 8 and I give him 3. He still got the runs. I had started at 3 and thought that if he did ok, i'd increase it slowly. He couldn't handle the beginning dose. I'm now down to 1 pump. If that still gives the runs, I'll have to switch or eliminate any fish oil.

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
Sorry I misread what you posted.... How long have they been on it?

·
Registered
4,210 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Sorry I misread what you posted.... How long have they been on it?
No worries, i do that all the time!! He has been on it for 3 days now. Today with giving 1 squirt in the morning with food and 1 this evening, he seems like his poops are starting to be firm.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Hard to say how many pumps to give. I always poured it into a teaspoon, the brand I use (Seapet 200) has no pump.

"each teaspoon provides 775 mg of EPA, 520 mg DHA and 200 IUs of natural form vitamin E."

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
We had ours on 2 pumps X 2 a day, so went back to 1 pump after runny stools. After a month we are back up to 2 pumps twice a day and doing well. Stools are not solid, solid, but still firm.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts