Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Thanks for the posts. I picked up some SafePaw & sprinkled it around about 10 mintutes ago, so we'll see. :wave:

·
Registered
57 Posts
Bare Ground From Home Depot:

"Bare Ground liquid anti-snow / de-icer is the only "pre-emptive" solution to snow and ice that should be used before, during and after every storm. This all natural, biodegradable, water soluble, non-toxic and virtually NON-CORROSIVE spray on liquid is safe on all surfaces and around plants and pets." 1 gallon = 50pound bag of salt

·
Registered
1,889 Posts
OMG and I think its cold here!!!

I did slide down my driveway this morning tho... does that count?? It's going to be about -8 degrees tonight but no snow where I live... too much salt sea air or something!!

Hope you are all keeping safe, those ice grippers sound like a great idea.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Bare Ground From Home Depot:

"Bare Ground liquid anti-snow / de-icer is the only "pre-emptive" solution to snow and ice that should be used before, during and after every storm. This all natural, biodegradable, water soluble, non-toxic and virtually NON-CORROSIVE spray on liquid is safe on all surfaces and around plants and pets." 1 gallon = 50pound bag of salt
That sounds interesting too! So far, the SafePaw hasn't done anything. I put A LOT on there & nothing. :no: I may look into that or the Morton product tomorrow.

·
Registered
22,569 Posts
This product does sound interesting. I'm sure they all have info like this, but I was looking to see what the ingredients are. Of course they're not going to list them all. It would give away their secret! LOL
http://www.bareground.com/specifications.pdf

I'm going to show this to DH. My dogs don't use the driveway much, so this may stop me from nearly slidding out into the street again!

Here is the main web site. http://www.bareground.com/

Here is Safe Paw's. I just can't read it. Eye issue tonight.
http://www.safepaw.com/msds.pdf

·
The Missouri Crew
13,683 Posts
That sounds interesting too! So far, the SafePaw hasn't done anything. I put A LOT on there & nothing. :no: I may look into that or the Morton product tomorrow.
I live in a split level home and the only way in or out are stairs and the Safe pet has always worked great. I always worry about the deck stairs, because they fly up and down them, but havent had any problems. Its seems to be lately that all we ever get is ice.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I am really disappointed with the SafePaw. I bought a big container of it & sprinkled it all over (very liberally) & it didn't melt anything - I used the whole container. Maybe the ice was just too thick. So, I am going to look at the Morton one & the one at Home Depot that another member mentioned.

·
Kirby'sMom
1,155 Posts
I am really disappointed with the SafePaw. I bought a big container of it & sprinkled it all over (very liberally) & it didn't melt anything - I used the whole container. Maybe the ice was just too thick. So, I am going to look at the Morton one & the one at Home Depot that another member mentioned.
That's not good! Too expensive to not work! Hubby and I couldn't find any de-icer anywhere! All the stores were sold out. We finally stopped at a True Value hardware - they were out - but in the process of visiting with one of the workers, she said there were two torn bags in the back that they couldn't sell, but, because Mitch used to work there a few years ago, she'd make him a deal! I'm not sure what brand it was, but it sure worked good! For three days, we had such thick glare ice! It's gone now. I'm not sure if it was pet safe or not, but, Kirby hasn't had any paw issues with it. He had more problems trying to walk on the ice to go out and go potty and me trying to stay upright!!!

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
That's not good! Too expensive to not work! Hubby and I couldn't find any de-icer anywhere! All the stores were sold out. We finally stopped at a True Value hardware - they were out - but in the process of visiting with one of the workers, she said there were two torn bags in the back that they couldn't sell, but, because Mitch used to work there a few years ago, she'd make him a deal! I'm not sure what brand it was, but it sure worked good! For three days, we had such thick glare ice! It's gone now. I'm not sure if it was pet safe or not, but, Kirby hasn't had any paw issues with it. He had more problems trying to walk on the ice to go out and go potty and me trying to stay upright!!!
My dad got some type of salt product for the front driveway, which melted the ice FAST, but we wouldn't put it on the back patio. It's not icy anymore, fortunately. If my girls are going to slip & fall, I hope I will at least be there to cushion their fall so they don't get hurt. They're too precious. :wave:

·
Kirby'sMom
1,155 Posts
My dad got some type of salt product for the front driveway, which melted the ice FAST, but we wouldn't put it on the back patio. It's not icy anymore, fortunately. If my girls are going to slip & fall, I hope I will at least be there to cushion their fall so they don't get hurt. They're too precious. :wave:
We they sure are precious! It's funny, though, watching Kirby try to run around when he gets the zoomies after going potty! The driveway, up by the garage is still really icy and he slips and slides in circles. He wants to run so bad, but, he does hold back a bit and kinda does partial zoomies!! I have an ice free path on the front sidewalk and a path up to the mailbox for the mailman, and then up to the back door. The only area Kirby walks on is by the back door and we've scraped it down to the black top now.

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
Goldie & Aspen haven't been outside to play much lately because of the icy snow. :( They just do their zoomies inside, lol. When it's cold, they'll go outside to go to the bathroom & want in right away, especially Sweet Pea.

But, since it's warming up, I may take them to play with all their friends this weekend at this big 10-acre fenced field. But, if it's 20 degree or lower, we're staying home. Poor girls. :no:

Did you meet Goldie & Aspen at the expo last year? Oh yeah, you did! I remember you took pictures! You & that camera of yours, LOL! :wavey:

·
Kirby'sMom
1,155 Posts
Goldie & Aspen haven't been outside to play much lately because of the icy snow. :( They just do their zoomies inside, lol. When it's cold, they'll go outside to go to the bathroom & want in right away, especially Sweet Pea.

But, since it's warming up, I may take them to play with all their friends this weekend at this big 10-acre fenced field. But, if it's 20 degree or lower, we're staying home. Poor girls. :no:

Did you meet Goldie & Aspen at the expo last year? Oh yeah, you did! I remember you took pictures! You & that camera of yours, LOL! :wavey:
You bet I did! Got you, too....remember??

·
Joy of my heart
529 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
Poor Scout and cousin Chewy (yellow lab, 6 years old) have the worst mom/ aunt. I was in such a hurry to get the side walk and deck cleared off today (because of a washer/dryer delivery) I didn't think about my boys paws. I'm glad I came across this thread.
Just wipe them off with a wet washcloth or soak them in some warm water & they'll be fine. :wave:

·
Cheeky Curmudgeon
1,046 Posts
Salt de-icers like sodium chloride and calcium chloride work effectively because they depress the melting/freezing point of water when they are dissolved. Sodium chloride loses effectiveness at -9ºC and calcium chloride continues to work until about -30ºC because it is exothermic when it dissolves so the heat that is released contributes to the melting.

Any product should be applied to bare ground in order for it to dissolve and mix as the snow and ice come down to be most effective.

Rinsing your dogs' paws will help prevent them experiencing any discomfort from the road salt. Most cities use sodium chloride because it is cheaper and it will draw heat from the water when it dissolves thus lowering the melting point and lowering the temperature of the solution. Therefore, it will be colder on your dog's paws.

21 - 37 of 37 Posts