Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

Safe cleaning products

3K views 22 replies 14 participants last post by  Victorialands 
#1 · (Edited)
I'm just curious if the cleaning products I use around the house are safe for the dog. Currently I use:
  • Pledge
  • Windex
  • Swiffer - not the floor stuff, just the dust rags
  • Clorox wipes - for the counters, floor spills, etc.
  • Febreeze

What is everyone else using? Is there anything I really need to stay away from? I am quite the neat freak, and with all the dog hair and dirt that he tracks all over the house, I'm cleaning all the time. I want to make sure I'm not using anything that could harm him. I know there was some controversy about the Swiffer floor cleaner, and we do not use that.

#3 · (Edited)
I've gone to using the 7th generation products I buy at Target.. They are organic. Also have been using Laura's suggestion of the organic Orange TKO for cleaning carpets. No toxic, caustic chemicals to clean and no pesticides/ fertilizers in the yard. We've been using the diatomaceous earth for a pesticide ( with GREAT results) and have a self mulching mower. BTW, if you use the diatomaceous earth, be sure to get the organic kind for the garden... not the swimming pool variety that has been treated and is toxic.

#4 ·
Right now my toilets are soaking in tang crystals - it worked to clean the dishwasher, so figured I'd try it.

Usually for the bathrooms I put some baking soda in the toilet, add a bit of dishsoap or a pump of the liquid soap if I'm in a rush, and scrub it out. Some soda in the sink, a drop of TTO and use that to scrub the sink, counters and then rinse and wash off the mirrors. Then the tub same thing, and then wipe down the toilet and put the cloth into the wash. I have a window cleaning cloth that I do the mirrors with so no windex needed, the cloth also does the fixtures. Once every month or two I hook up the steamer and blast everything, it gets the gunk out of the cracks and so on.

Floors, microfiber mop and vinegar water, maybe a few drops of EO if I think of it. I mist down everything with peroxide once in a while or if someone has a cold. Kitchen counters I have an antibacterial cloth that picks up bacteria, use that for the tables as well. I'll spray vinegar and then peroxide on the surfaces that need extra bug killing.

We all had a cold over the winter so far, but other than that we're still alive. If we come into contact with someone who has a cold I have homeopathic medicine to take just in case, it worked really well when we were sick too.

Lana

#17 ·
What are TTO and EO?

Tang crystals contain citric acid in a ratio of about 4g/100g of tang powder...I wonder if just buying citric acid at Community Natural Foods would do the trick for my dishwasher and soap scum. I'd rather not feed the bacteria with the sugar in tang!

Citric acid is a weak acid like acetic acid (5% w/v is vinegar)

#6 ·
I'm sure i have read somewhere about febreeze being harmful, but can't think where at the moment - i don't use it

#10 ·
I use TKO (www.tkoorange.com) for everything. It is an all natural product, and there are literally hundreds of uses for it. I use it on wood & tile floor, and even in my carpet steam cleaner. I add to the laundry. I use it on my wood furniture, and leather couches. The Dogfather has taken to using it on is precious boats, hunting and fishing gear, and in his shop. I use it in the kennel, and have even used it ON the dogs (Larry called and had a flea scare - it will safely kill fleas) And I've used it to kill spiders. It will remove grease and adhesives. There are different dilution ratios fr different needs. It is very concentrated. I really hate the smell of cleaners, especially orange ones, that linger. I don't live in an orange grove, so don't expect my home/kennel/clothing to smell like one. TKO , when used, smells like orange for 15-20 minutes, and then all you smell is CLEAN. And yes, I AM a clean freak, and make no apologies for being so. :p:

#13 ·
#14 ·
I also use Orange TKO for everrrrything. I have all the dilutions in spray bottles and use it in every room of my house, and on my wood floors too. And I feel completely safe using it around or ON my dogs, their dog bed, and any eating surfaces, etc.

#18 ·
I'm not sure of what's toxic in pine sol, I just know my aunt used to use way too much of it and I can't stand the smell of it now. With a baby who lives on the floor and puts everything in her mouth, I'd rather use non-toxic or safer products.

TTO - Tea tree oil.
EO - Essential oil, usually here it's eucalyptus oil.

Not sure if the citric acid would work on it's own. The tang has that nice orange smell and we certainly won't drink the stuff ourselves....:D

I've also used vinegar for the dishwasher, it's on it's last legs here, the water is pretty hard which doesn't help things.

Lana

#20 ·
I just bought a mop with microfiber changable/washable pads with silver in it. The silver takes care of the bacteria. Just water, no chemicals. And that's good because I use it a couple of times a day. And it's not even spring!!

#23 ·
I love my mico fiber mop, mostly used on the walls or roof cleaning. I have a shark steam mop as well. I love it!!! It is amazing. I havnt had to use a chemical on my floor in a year. For soap I have been using green works it is made by cloroz. It is supposed to be 99% plant material, I like it. I like to use salt and lemon juice as well. it smells nice and the acid helps with the grim and the salt is course. I used to use all chemical type things until I developed a lung problem, I just dont think it is worth it in the long run.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.