Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
1,645 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
We found out tonight that a family member who successfully fought leukemia a few years ago has just been diagnosed with a new strain, probably caused by the chemo she was taking before. The prognosis is very bad. The whole family is in shock. Instead of a family Christmas, she gets to spend at least the next month in the hospital. They don't know what will happen after that, but she is unlikely to see another Christmas.

It is really hard to have any joy in Christmas now. I wasn't really feeling it before, but I was at least looking forward to church and listening to music and seeing the family. Now the family gathering is indefinitely postponed and the idea of being around other happy people just doesn't appeal.

Anyone else having a hard time this Christmas?

·
Registered
1,240 Posts
I am so sorry for your family member. I will keep you and them in my prayers. I was just sitting here having a bit of a cry. Today is my birthday and this is the 5th one I've spent without my dad. He was always the one that made the holidays special and now, well it's just not the same. ((((Hugs)))) to you.

·
Goldens Rule in SW PA!
2,127 Posts
We've had some hard times (family medical issues) around Christmas in the past. It sounds like the news just hit recently and your family is reeling from the prognosis. Give them time to collect their thoughts--that's a lot to digest, especially at this time of year. With time, perhaps things will settle down a bit and the family gathering can happen--maybe not at Christmas but early in the new year.

Our prayers are with you and your family.

SJ

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
My father passed away on Christmas Eve, 7 years ago. Then my mother died on the next 4th of July. So those holidays always are remembrance times.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Due to life's different paths, my daughters & I have been apart for years. I haven't seen my oldest daughter for 4 years; only briefly saw my youngest last October for a day when she was passing through. My oldest was planning on moving here last September; my youngest had moved about 800 miles closer so that I could at least visit her occasionally. We were looking forward to spending our first Xmas together in 8 years. Things happened; my oldest is still over 1000 miles away, & my youngest moved back to where she was. I'm alone again for Christmas. I'm working all day so at least I'll have something to occupy my time.

·
Registered
7,753 Posts
I'm so sorry. Sending your entire family much strength.

Having had a few sad christmas' myself I'd like send everyone who is having a hard time right now much strength and hope for the new year.

·
Premium Member
7,788 Posts
I'm so sorry that you and your family are going through this. The holidays are a sad time for many people, but that knowledge doesn't lessen individual pain. I hope there will be some unexpected joy amid the pain for you and those you love.

·
Registered
8,465 Posts
There is always a sadness, in this time of year, for us, only those that have had a child die, can understand, no matter the age,shane was 27, in 1998, and it is still hard, i miss him, and he really like christmas, so his absence, is always felt.

·
Hi, I'm Wendee
1,733 Posts
I'm so sorry. A close friend of mine was in the hospital at Christmas one year so we brought Christmas to her. We cooked dinner and took it to the hospital and we also brought presents and a four foot prelit tree that we decorated for her. We had Christmas dinner there with her and it put a big smile on her face when she was having a really hard time. I pray that your family member gets better this time too. This time of year is a little hard for me because I miss my mom. Lots of hugs to you.

·
Registered
3,230 Posts
Prayers and thoughts going out to your family member and entire family. I understand where you are right now, as we faced a similar situation last year with my mother. May you find comfort in the prayers all of us here are offering. I can tell you first hand I would never had made it thru it last year without all the support I received here...God Bless you and your family.

·
The Golden's Pet
178 Posts
I'm so sorry! My Grandmother passed away from colon cancer close to Christmas 14 years ago. It was a very hard Christmas that year, we still miss her.

Any way to bring your family member some cheer in the hospital or are they in reverse isolation and can't have any stuff in the room? I used to be a hospice nurse and we alwayst tried so hard to see that those that could go home on pass did, and those too sick had family with them. We spent time with those that had no family, I remember making milkshakes for one patient in our tiny little kitchen because that was what they were craving!

Hang in there!

Jenn

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
My mom was diagnosed with Multiple Myloma (sp?) a blood cancer, last month. Considering her age, 87, and her opting out of any treatment, this will probably be her last Christmas. But then I remember, God only knows when our time is up. She could be with us next year and rather then dwell on the whats & whens, I think about all the wonderful Christmas pasts and possibly to come with her. My dad passed away in 2008 but I can still feel him at our special family gatherings. Our loved ones may be gone from this earth but they will always in our hearts and memory.

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Christmas is a time of Miracles. Try to turn your cup over and have the Better half on top. Look for small joys, for the smile on childrens faces, the families and their pets walking but taking a few minutes to wish others a Merry Christmas. Look for that memory that gives your heart a race of pleasure with your loved one, be they human or pet. Life is short, unhappiness can make the time race, smiles can hold the minute to a stand still. Love and keep your heart open to share with others.

I lost my Mom at Christmas just 4 short years ago, she joins my Dad and brother, now we have just lost our family dog. I am chosing to hold on to the "Good" and will push the bad back to a deep place. I want my memories at this time, clear and perfect, let love and happiness in.

Try to find the smiles around you, remember the good and pull it to the front of your heart. Your family member would want no tears but would want you to celebrate your memories with them. There are many times to cry when you are alone, but keep the door propted open for joy to enter. They all would want this.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts