Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
I think the fluids will help Sadie too. I was just worried that we may be starting them too soon since her lab values aren't terrible. I guess I am just thinking out loud. When I asked the vet what she would do if it were her cat, without hesitation, she said she would start her on fluids and B12 injections.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
Well, today it did not go so well. It was my first day with Sadie that I needed to administer the fluids and I needed six hands but I only had my two. First ,when I tried to attach the needle I poked myself in the finger (ouch!). So I finally got everyting hooked up and inserted the needle while Sadie was resting. No problem there but I think the sensation of the fluids going in bothered her so she jumped up causing the needle to fall out and shoot fluids all over my lap top. I am still hoping that has no adverse effects on the machine.
So I tried again and again Sadie jumped up and knocked the needle out so I figured twice is enough for now. She didn't get enough fluids but I need to find a way to hold Sadie so she can't move around.
Like I said, I need six hands...<<sigh>>.

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
You'll get the hang of it! You can also change the flow of the fluids which can also impact how the cat feels (too much too fast especially when the fluids are cold can be uncomfortable). There are a lot of YouTube videos that show different techniques.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
We always warm our fluids in a sink of warm water. They don't jump as much when the fluids start going in.
The vet tech suggested that I warm the fluids in the microwave at 30 min intervals but I was afraid I might burn her. I like your suggestion much better. I think I'll try that method next time.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
Well, I am set on trying again this weekend and am hoping it goes better this time. It seems like it should be simple but by the time I figure out how to keep the bag of fluids above her and keep the needle from falling out she has scrambled off the table.
Just one of those things I need to get a system down to make it work...

·
Registered
2,905 Posts
I administered the fluids in my bathroom, hung the bag from a hangar and the hangar from the towel rack--no way would I have been able to juggle the bag & keep the needle in.

·
Registered
2,498 Posts
I think sh will learn that she feels better after ... I can tell you that I generally didn't wait for the fluids to drop down... I would push the fluids in fairly quickly... it would leave a large lump of fluid that would go down over an hour or two... and it was done... we started maureen on fluids she was about 18 and it gave her about 6-8 mos after that... you will get hte hang of it and so will kitty

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
We have a shower curtain rods over the sink as high up as it will go and then I bent a wire coat hanger to fit over the the and hang the bag on the hook part. The higher the bag the faster it will go in. On the really hard cats, I was able to get a vet tech to stop by my house on her way home and do it for me. I pay $10 a visit. Good luck

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Well, I had a better set-up tonight and felt more comfortable about the whole thing but I only ended up getting about half of the fluids in before she ran off and dislodged the needle.
I also need to give B12 through the fluid line but there is simply no way she will hold still long enough for that to happen so I injected it separately. I'm not sure if it is ok to give her the B12 that way but at the moment this seems to be the best way.

·
Registered
1,950 Posts
Do you have a friend that could come by and help? Offer dinner or something.
My daughter had to give fluids to her roommates cat last month. The roommate's boyfrined came by and held the cat, so it went well.

21 - 31 of 31 Posts