Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 34 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
9,612 Posts
I used to have to take anti-thyroid medicine and didn't notice any side effects.

I hope Miss Sadie recovers quickly.

My first cat as an adult was a pretty tortoiseshell. I have a soft spot for those pretty girls.

·
Lubbin mi prends!
8,962 Posts
Good news....well, kind of...The best thoughts for Sadie!

Heike

·
Charlotte
6,147 Posts
Callie aka "the princess" is taking Tapazole with no noticeable side effects. Because her thyroid levels were so high to start with, it took a while to get her dose adjusted, resulting in a few extra trips to the vet for bloodwork. I did ask our vet about the radioactive treatment and she said usually it is reserved for cats who do not tolerate the medication and that she had never had to refer any of her patients for it.

·
Registered
7,597 Posts
Essie, the other old old cat thread, was given Felimazole for hyperthyroidism. No side effects have been observed---other than her hating being given the pill 2x day! She never really liked being held and certainly doesn't like being given a pill

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
Essie, the other old old cat thread, was given Felimazole for hyperthyroidism. No side effects have been observed---other than her hating being given the pill 2x day! She never really liked being held and certainly doesn't like being given a pill
Felimazole is the same medication that my vet has recommended. We'll keep our fingers and paws crossed that my Sadie girl tolerates the medication as well as the process of having to give her pills twice a day.
Dogs are so much easier to give medication to.
Thanks all! I'll keep you posted on how she is dioing with the meds.

·
Charlotte
6,147 Posts
We started off using pill pockets and Callie took them quite easily but they are expensive and the meds run about $80.00 a month so now I just wrap them in the fancy feast that she gets twice a day and she doesn't seem to notice that the pills are there.

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
My kitty Samantha that is almost 17 is hyperthyroid. She is on meds and now back to her old sweet self again. It took awhile to get her meds right but once we did she doesnt eat like a horse and is friendly and outgoing again. And acting like a youngster again. I looked into the treatments too and they are very expensive and they have to stay at the vets for treatment for several days. My girl is shy and wouldnt do good with it.
Your girl looks alot like my girl.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
I just started Sadie on the Felimazole this morning and this evening she is having diahrea and doesn't want to eat. Did any of you have this problem when you started the medication and will it clear up?

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Sadie seems to be tolerating the medication...yeah! No more diarrhea.
The best thing about Felimazole is the pills are very tiny and so easy to give to my cat. They slide down her throat before she even knows she had a pill in her mouth. The pills are a perfect color too...hot pink for my princess Sadie.
She seems to be yowling less and is not begging for food as often. So at the moment she seems to be doing well. She will have her blood tested in about two weeks to make sure her dosage is adjusted correctly.
Keeping my fingers crossed...

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
You can get them in a chewable form too. Kind of pricey, but worth it if it's the only way to get it in them. Glad to hear she's doing better.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
It has been more than 2 weeks since Sadie started the medication so she returned to the vet for a re-check, B/P check and blood test to make sure the thyroid levels have improved. I won't know the results until Monday. I am hoping the levels have stabilized so I don't have to increase the medication to twice a day. Sadie is not all that wild about being given pills.
Her weight has dropped more so the vet is thinking we may end up increasing the meds...:no: Her blood pressure was elevated, as well, which may be due to they hyperthyroidism.
We'll see, hoping for the best on Monday for my sweet old Sadie cat.

·
Registered
2,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
The good news is that the medication levels look good and I can continue the Felimazole as a once a day treatment...YEAH!
However the blood work showed that Sadie has an infection so we are starting her on an antibiotic. It is a liquid and is cherry flavored so I am sure she is totally loving it....(not so much!)
I am really glad the thyroid levels are looking good so we are on the right track there. My old lady is hanging in there....

21 - 34 of 34 Posts