Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone else have a dog that makes pitiful whiny noises when they're waiting to go for a walk?

In the morning, I get up, let Rookie out for a few minutes, feed him, let him back outside, and have my breakfast. After a while, he will come back inside and lay down at my feet.

We normally go for our walk or head to the park after breakfast. If I don't finish my breakfast quickly enough for him, Rookie will start to whine. It's not a loud whine. He actually whines very quietly. But it is this pitiful whiny noise that both makes me laugh and drives me nuts at the same time. He just sounds so very pathetic!

Anyone else got a whiner?

·
Registered
12,755 Posts
Oh yes! Sam is a major whiner. He does it all the time for no apparant reason. Sometimes if he's laying in my lap and I'm petting him he'll kind of be making this whiney noise under his breath. If he's standing in front of me trying to get my attention and I'm watching tv or on the computer, he'll whine quietly. He whines in the mornings if I'm not getting out of bed and he's ready to start the day. He whines when he and Dillon are playing.. Dillon tends to bark more when they play, Sam just whines and growls.

·
Registered
776 Posts
my lab chance is a huge whiner!!!! he whines if he needs to go outside but he also does it for attention...my golden doesn't whine at all....the whining does get annoying lol....

·
Boudiga
4,102 Posts
nope, not a whiner, but she'll let out a huge sigh and grumble a bit if i'm not moving quick enough for her. like she's so put upon!

·
Registered
217 Posts
Our new Bauer is a big whiner. I thought something was wrong with him at first. He wimpers when he's happy, sad, tired, excited, etc. The good news is that he's not a barker. Ruby was a barker. I'd let her out at 11pm at night and she would light up the night barking at everything that MIGHT be out there in the darkness.

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Flirt is a huge whiner! While I've only had her two months (She's 5 years old) she used to whine only for my fiance but lately she will whine for me. She only seems to do it if she wants you to pet her. Sometimes in the morning she will hop up on the bed and whine SO loud and with varying noises, if you didn't know better you'd think someone was having good sex LOL ! ! !

Yet she rarely barks.

·
Love my Golden Boys!!
7,076 Posts
OMG...do I have a whiner!! I wish I could tape Austin somedays. He just does it to get my attention as well.....we'll be sitting having supper and he just talks/whines non stop. He'll be sitting in a different room and just whine until mommy (yes, he has me wrapped around his paws) comes to see him.

Lincoln doesn't whine but makes grunting noises when he's excited.

Reno is very quiet until he knows he's going out for a walk...then he whines and gets excited.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Abbi gets so excited when i get home that she whines when i pet her! I think it is so adorable that I couldn't get annoyed at it :D She just does it cause she misses me so much!

For awhile I thought she did because she was in pain. She had recently pulled a ligament in her hind left knee. She would get so excited I thought she was putting too much weight on it and so she whined. Now I know though that she is just excited! She rarely ever expresses her thoughts in barks. Only when she is scared or wants out of her kennel.

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts
Oriana is also a whiner, like the others mostly to get your attention or as a way to notify me that the squirrels have invaded the backyard and she needs to be let out to fend them off! :doh:
Now Lucy, she is another story. She does not whine but what she will do is be lying there and out of nowhere let out this sigh/groan as if to say "I am SSSOOO bored." It is so pitiful that it can actually make you feel guilty. ;)

·
Registered
253 Posts
My golden is a compulsive whiner! He whines if he's bored, wants to go out, or is super excited. I find it cute when he greets me with his cute whining when I come home, but other than that, it drives me nuts! Even if we go for a 2 hour walk and play ball for an hour, he'll just sit at my feet and whine. If I ignore it, the whine gets louder and louder until it becomes full out barking. :doh::doh::doh:

·
Registered
1,464 Posts
Sophie is an anxiety whiner. When she knows it's time for a walk (sees us get the leash) she starts crying and whining and pacing back and forth. This becomes so loud and annoying! It used to be so hard just catching her to put on her collar and leash because of all the pacing. She's better in that department now because she finally realized that if we can't get the leash on, she can't go out there.

She also lets off soft whines if she's wanting to go outside, but other than that, she's fine.

Duke lets out whines and his are sooo cute! His whine has a lilt behind it, whereas "So-So's" are more squeaky and soft. Dukes whine almost sounds like a little human child's. Hank, Duke does exactly what your Lucy does... those groans are sooo pathetic! Tennisball, Duke also does exactly what your pup does as well... and who can ignore that loud bark? He'll even get up when he's noticed that I've FINALLY noticed him, and look me straight in the eye and start barking at ME.

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My husband is a whiner, does that count?
(just kidding, LOL)

·
Where The Bitches Rule
6,429 Posts

·
Registered
367 Posts
Yep, Ive got a whiner&sometimes he'll even let out a pathetic yelp! my dog is such a big cry baby lol I was sat on the floor the other day&I had a small box of chocolates balanced on my knee, watching tv,munching away, Jamie sat right in front of me whining, when I didnt take him on he kept pawing my shoulder,then he resorted to his pathetic yelp - he wanted me to move the chocs so he could sit on my knee! SPOILT BRAT!LOL

·
Knife Swallower
6,783 Posts
Ranger was whining today when the dog walker came and took my bro's dog, and not him! He ran from window to window watching her walk away and was letting out sad little distressed whines.

He'll also let out high pitched cries if there's something he wants that's out of reach. A toy under the couch, or the chihuaha at the vet clinic...and it might sound crazy, but i swear his yelps sounds like "help!" I call it his "But I Want" whine.

·
Registered
1,278 Posts
Oh my goodness yes. Caleb is a major drama queen when things don't go according to his schedule. It's been raining a lot here in the last couple weeks, so I've been waiting for breaks in the rain before walkies. Consequently Caleb has spent half the time moaning and crying and generally acting like his life is over. He is such a baby!

1 - 16 of 16 Posts