Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Spin Off: I was coming to post the same question:

Mr. Wilson is 8 weeks old and I spend 90% of my day caring for him... I really need to get some balance in my day... can someone share tips with me and a resonable schedule for a almost 9 week old puppy? including how much to walk and play with him. (I am a SAHM if that helps with tips!)

*how much excerise and how much sleep does he need?

·
Registered
233 Posts
Puppies sleep a lot, I think I've heard numbers around 18-20 hours a day. With a puppy that young you could probably crate him for 1.5-2 hours at a time (they can supposedly hold it 1 hour per month). Since it sounds like you are home all day with him, if I were you my schedule when I really needed to get stuff done would be something like this (when crated that includes being let out to potty every 1-2 hours):

-wake up, breakfast/play/spend time together for an hour
-crate until lunch
-lunch/play/spend time together for an hour
-crate until dinner
-dinner/play/spend time together for another hour
-back in crate until an hour before bed time and then spend another hour together.

That's probably considered "enough"...at least that's the minimum that would make me feel ok while giving me lots of time to work. Most days I'd probably keep the puppy out more between dinner/bedtime since I'd have my tasks for the day done by then.

Once he's potty trained, if you can gate him in a room where he can't destroy/swallow anything I would move to that instead of the crate at least some of the time during the day.

And as he gets older you'll need to focus more on making sure he gets a good aerobic workout, otherwise they get into all sorts of trouble...but I don't remember Ada needing a ton of actual aerobic exercise when she was that young. At 4 months now though even an hour at the dog park chasing other dogs isn't enough.

·
Mr. Wilson's mom too!!
130 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Puppies sleep a lot, I think I've heard numbers around 18-20 hours a day. With a puppy that young you could probably crate him for 1.5-2 hours at a time (they can supposedly hold it 1 hour per month). Since it sounds like you are home all day with him, if I were you my schedule when I really needed to get stuff done would be something like this (when crated that includes being let out to potty every 1-2 hours):

-wake up, breakfast/play/spend time together for an hour
-crate until lunch
-lunch/play/spend time together for an hour
-crate until dinner
-dinner/play/spend time together for another hour
-back in crate until an hour before bed time and then spend another hour together.

That's probably considered "enough"...at least that's the minimum that would make me feel ok while giving me lots of time to work. Most days I'd probably keep the puppy out more between dinner/bedtime since I'd have my tasks for the day done by then.

Once he's potty trained, if you can gate him in a room where he can't destroy/swallow anything I would move to that instead of the crate at least some of the time during the day.

And as he gets older you'll need to focus more on making sure he gets a good aerobic workout, otherwise they get into all sorts of trouble...but I don't remember Ada needing a ton of actual aerobic exercise when she was that young. At 4 months now though even an hour at the dog park chasing other dogs isn't enough.

thank u so much!! I just wanted to make sure I gave him plenty of attention without over doing it!! anyway, he was super great today, and was a little extra sleepy! I think the newness and excitement has worn off and he is settling into our house:) in fact I wanted him more awake today and he was just too tired, lol!

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
"Puppies sleep a lot" Could you please tell that to Jordan !!!:p:

Reactions: Dallas Gold
1 - 5 of 5 Posts