Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I don't know how much of this is a physical condition and how much is pure behavioral problems.

We got Rusty from a Rescue last October. He is 3 yrs old and he attacks his hind leg and foot, growling and snarling. The vet said it was a seizure and put him on phenobarbitol. He wasn't having them very often, but lately he is doing it all of the time. Now SOME might be seizures, but I know not all of them are. I believe the true seizures are when he goes at it so fiercely and out of control that he spins in a circle trying to chew it or bite it.

The other times he is still but will growl and snarl and chew at it, but not hard. Those are usually times he isn't getting what he wants or is bored, I THINK.

Anyway, the last few days he is just doing this constantly and it is just getting on my last nerve. At the beginning I am compassionate, but the sound of it really builds up anxiety in me. I wanted to surrender him to the nearby Golden Rescue (I got him from one about 7 hrs away) right after we got him, but my husband felt bad doing that and really was fond of him immediately. But I'm the one home with him round the clock, my husband is only home one or two days a week.

Does anyone else have a dog that does this? I'm not sure what is causing it and what is making it so bad lately.

He is a very moody dog. Sometimes he just doesn't want you petting him and will growl if you try to. Sometimes he just walks around the house growling!

·
Registered
2,941 Posts
I'm so very sorry you're going through this. I feel Rusty needs a neuro consult(UGA or GVS) at this point as something certainly sounds off with his wiring--hope you can this figured out

·
New Mommy
6,137 Posts
It is part of a seizure. This behavior went away went we added Potasium Bromide, but that is a very difficult drug to use. Have you run a 5 panel thyroid test on him ?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It is part of a seizure. This behavior went away went we added Potasium Bromide, but that is a very difficult drug to use. Have you run a 5 panel thyroid test on him ?
I don't think they did. Is Potassium Bromide a prescribed drug, I take it?

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I'm so very sorry you're going through this. I feel Rusty needs a neuro consult(UGA or GVS) at this point as something certainly sounds off with his wiring--hope you can this figured out
Showing my ignorance here, but what is UGA and GVS? Types of degrees or places?

1 - 7 of 7 Posts