Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Buttermilk, my 5 year old golden, had an anal gland rupture late last night, it lightly bled for maybe 15 minutes then stopped, now it's just leaking something else. Our usual vet can't get her in until Monday! I found another vet that we might take her to today, but I was hoping someone who has experienced this could tell me about how much everything will cost? How life threatening is a ruptured or abscessed anal gland??

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
Our toy poodle suffers from anal gland abscesses from time to time, about once every couple of years. We've learned to keep an eye on him and spot them early.

It's not life-threatening but it is very painful for the dog and it's best to see a vet as soon as you can. The main danger is the infection, which needs to be addressed fairly quickly. Our poodle has always needed antibiotics. He usually gets anti-inflammatories for a few days as well, for the pain. If you can see a vet today, that would be great. In the meantime, you can use warm compresses on the site of the rupture.

For cost, it shouldn't be much. Our vet charges the regular exam fee, plus the cost of the medications. Figure on 14 days of antibiotics, maybe a few days of anti-inflammatories, plus a follow-up exam.

In future, you should keep an eye open for the advance signs of this type of thing: scooting, biting, swelling.

Best of luck, and don't worry too much.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Our toy poodle suffers from anal gland abscesses from time to time, about once every couple of years. We've learned to keep an eye on him and spot them early.

It's not life-threatening but it is very painful for the dog and it's best to see a vet as soon as you can. The main danger is the infection, which needs to be addressed fairly quickly. Our poodle has always needed antibiotics. He usually gets anti-inflammatories for a few days as well, for the pain. If you can see a vet today, that would be great. In the meantime, you can use warm compresses on the site of the rupture.

For cost, it shouldn't be much. Our vet charges the regular exam fee, plus the cost of the medications. Figure on 14 days of antibiotics, maybe a few days of anti-inflammatories, plus a follow-up exam.

In future, you should keep an eye open for the advance signs of this type of thing: scooting, biting, swelling.

Best of luck, and don't worry too much.

We are most likely will be heading to vet real soon. There weren't really any signs before this happened, she was licking a lot but we thought she might have been getting a urinary tract infection, we didn't know she was licking her butt ?! I didn't even know this could happen so I didn't even think to check her butt.
Thank you for replying!

·
Premium Member
1,965 Posts
We are most likely will be heading to vet real soon. There weren't really any signs before this happened, she was licking a lot but we thought she might have been getting a urinary tract infection, we didn't know she was licking her butt ?! I didn't even know this could happen so I didn't even think to check her butt.
Thank you for replying!
Yes, the first time it happened to our poodle, we had no idea! The vet showed us what to look for, and once you know, they are fairly easy to spot.

·
Gunner and Honey's Mom
5,628 Posts
My Golden had a tumor on his anal gland found by a vet tech doing anal gland expression. He has been a scooter for the last five years. It turned out to be cancerous. Very small mass so hopefully caught it early. Currently going through chemo. He is nine. Glad you are taking him in today. Good luck!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts