Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
261 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm a little confused.
Is it bad if our puppy runs a lot? I keep reading posts about how puppies (golden) should not be running much until they hit at least 4 months.

Our puppy started running from day 1 at 8 weeks. We can't really stop him. He loves it. He runs, hops, and even likes to test his limits by (literally) jumping WAY higher than he needs to, to come down 1 stair.

He will run full speed at the 1 step to the front door area, and without slowing down, jump up and landing just fine.

We still carry him up and down larger stairs, but haven't been stopping him from running (specially when he first wake up, or needs to poop).

·
Registered
107 Posts
Our Annabelle's about to turn 3 months. We let her run as much as she likes, because a tired puppy makes for a peaceful evening. We don't, however, let her jump.

·
Beware of Nestle Purina
5,722 Posts
My puppies have always run around but on soft surfaces (carpets, grass, sand, etc.)- Not pavement or concrete.

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
The problem is more with forced exercise, not the willy nilly stuff a pup will do when excited. I do not recommend jogging with an owner until the dog is 2 years of age.

Reactions: abowman
1 - 4 of 4 Posts