Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 20 of 544 Posts

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I grew up with dogs. At least until I was 12 and my parents split up, and my Dad got rid of our dalmatian for my step mother. I am now 28 and finishing my PhD this year. I feel like I have been waiting a lifetime to welcome another dog into my life. But, I really wanted to make sure that when I did, that I would have the time and resources to give him/her the best life that they deserve.

From the age of 16 I have been with the same, guy. He's been finished school and working for a long time now. He's just been putting money aside waiting for us to really start life together. After 11.5 amazing years, he asked me to marry him on the side of a mountain in the spring. Believe it or not I was completely shocked and over the moon.

2015 will be the year of all years for us. I will be graduating this year, applying for jobs, settling down in a new city and buying our first home. However, there was still a piece of the puzzle missing. I needed my dog.

I realized after some time thinking about it, that now is really the perfect time to welcome a puppy into our home. I am home so much right now working on my dissertation, that it would be easy for me to housebreak a puppy... as well as keep an eye on how he or she behaves with our 11.5 year old cat. Side note: we already have a cuddly, 11.5 year young black domestic short hair cat, we rescued as a kitten. Joie has followed us around on all of our life's adventures, so far.

So, we started actively looking and discussing what kind of dog we wanted in November. We considered rescuing a dog, but we were worried about how difficult it might be introducing a dog to our cat. So, we thought getting a puppy and raising her to be gentle with Joie would be the best option. Then we considered the breed. Now this was a subject of great debate. We were originally thinking about a great dane a wonderfully calm breed, and we almost got one too... but, then we figured that this would not be the right dog for us because there was no way a dane would be able to keep up with our active lifestyle. We then thought about getting a border collie. Again, we found a breeder and pup that we liked... but, with the more research we did we became more and more worried about the border collie running circles around us, and our cat. Finally, we came upon the golden retriever - the everybody and every creature's kind of dog. It seemed like a match made in heaven :) I remembered wanting a golden retriever back when I was a little girl... but, my parents had no interest in maintaining their coat.

But, our story does not end here. By this this time, it was after Christmas, and I was really hoping we would have had our puppy for the new year. We found a registered breeder that had all their clearances, produced both show and service dogs, and had pups from 3 different litters available in the states. We talked with them on the phone and everything seemed good, except they were a 5 hour drive away. No big deal. I was willing to go the distance to get our puppy.

So, we hopped in the car and drove to meet with them. Problem was, things didn't look so great by the time we got there. All the dogs were kept outside and seemed much too excited (i.e. not well socialized) when we went to see them. None of the puppies, even the ones that were 6 weeks old had any toys in their pen with them. The breeder was not feeding them very good food, and didn't seem to know much about the individual puppies and their personalities... not even the ones that were 6 weeks old. She didn't even have a way of telling them apart from one another. No, this did not feel right at all. We ended up driving 5 hours back the way we came... not having left a deposit on any of the very cute puppies.

On the way back I cried. We had seen and considered multiple dogs. And it was beginning to feel like we would never find our match. I sat in silence for almost the full 5 hours my fiancé drove us home. And when we got home I fell into bed, emotionally exhausted. Well, my knight decided he was going to do everything he could to make things right for me. He spent well into the night on his computer, trying to see if he could find me the perfect puppy AND breeder this time. And let me just say, he did really good!

The next day, we were driving only an hour away to look at a litter of pups that were only a week old. We met with the breeder who had all the right answers, and seemed as though he was doing everything he could to make sure that the pups grew up socialized and healthy. Both the Sire and Mom were on site, and were absolutely incredible dogs -- I would have just as quickly taken one of them home. And to boot, we were the first ones to put a deposit down on the litter -- first pick, yippee!! There were 3 females and 8 males. But, we were pretty sure we wanted a female. One of the females were dark, and we preferred to get a lighter puppy. The medium coloured one started crying as soon as my fiancé held her. She just didn't seem right either. Then I got handed the lightest coloured one, and she immediately curled up in my arms and fell asleep. It was love at first sight. We tentatively put a red collar on her, hoping that she would be our girl.

3 weeks later we went back to see the litter (our girl) again. They pulled out the red-collared girl for us and handed her to me. She immediately climbed up my chest to give me kisses on my chin. I handed her to my partner, and she did the same to him. Though we were nearby the Mom and litter, she did not cry out for them once. And she didn't fuss too much when I flipped her on her back in my arms and stroked her belly. All in all she seemed low-keyed and cuddly. We could not have been more thrilled.

After this visit we were all too excited. We did our research and found recommendations for all of the best things to buy when raising a puppy. We finished all our shopping for her in a matter of days. Now we are just waiting for some of the stuff we ordered to arrive, and are anxiously waiting to bring her home.

The breeder put up more pictures of her today (5 weeks). I can't believe how much she has grown! We are going to go see her again next weekend at 6 weeks, just to confirm our pick. But, at this point we are fairly certain she's our girl. We have decided to name her Rundle. Week 8 cannot come soon enough!!

Pictures are week 1 (Rundle and I), week 3, week 4 and week 5 (the one being climbed on)

Attachments

·
Registered
164 Posts
Aww! Your story just warmed my heart! I am so, so happy for you and your fiancé! Your little girl is just gorgeous and I can't wait to watch her grow up! Thank you for sharing your story and please do give us updates on you and your new family member!

If you don't mind my asking, who is your breeder?

We are neighbours I just realized, as I reside in Alberta! Good to meet another Canadian!

·
Registered
816 Posts
Loved your story. Your hubby sounds like a real keeper! I am a Vancouverite too and getting my puppy in 8 more sleeps! We are getting our Puppy from a Breeder on Vancouver Island.

Glad that you are finally getting another dog after all of these years and waiting for the right time in your life.

We look forward to more pics!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #4 (Edited)
Great to meet fellow Canadians! We are actually hoping to move to Alberta in the upcoming year :)
I will definitely keep this thread going with updates on our little girl. We could not be more excited about our first puppy.
As per the breeder, this is his first litter, and I am not sure whether this will be his last. So, I don't know how he would feel about my sharing his name on such a widely viewed forum. We are supposed to keep him up-to-date about the pup after we have her. I assume he may want to see the success of this line before publicizing his reputation as a breeder? I am sorry that I do not feel comfortable disclosing this information without his consent. All I can say is that we have been very impressed with him so far in his care and attention to both the mom and the pups.

·
4 legged kids
39 Posts
awesome story. My latest, Tag (now 2) came from a loving breeder in Calgary. I too visited the litter over the 2 months prior to adotpion. I think it's a great practice. Fellow canadians here too, living in Mission now.

I know the wait can be very anxious :)

·
Registered
153 Posts
Awwww! Rundle's adorable and it sounds like she is going to be part of a very loving family. Congratulations on your degree and hope you have a wonderful future ahead of you.

·
Registered
505 Posts
Congratulations! It's so wonderful to read such a happy story. Sometimes finding the right puppy takes some heartache. I won't go into the long story, but we had a terrible situation before getting our puppy. I started to give up hope that I would find the right healthy puppy. Then, after a lengthy search, along came Comet and everything fell into place. I honestly can't imagine having any other dog! I'm thrilled for you! You'll have to keep us posted and post pictures of Rundle's first day home. She's so adorable!

Comet's first day home and now at 6 months old.

Attachments

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Just to say hello to my fellow Canadians, from Winnipeg, the heart of Canada :), nice to meet you all.
Your story is just amazing I am glad you followed your heart as it was leading you to the right dog, perfect for you ;).
My Charlie was born in Ontario, 4 hours away from Winnipeg, happy to have him in my home and in my heart.

This is my Charlie Nov 2012.

attachmentMNNOVOO4.jpg

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Hi Loukia,
I really can't complain too much :) I think it was just emotional meeting cute puppy after cute puppy, and then having to leave them there because in our hearts we knew they were not the right one for us. Thankfully, I didn't have to wait too long for Rundle to come into my life... but, it still seems like forever! I had no idea finding the right puppy would be so hard.
I will definitely keep this thread updated with pictures of her when she comes home and as she grows.
Comet is absolutely adorable! I can see that he was well worth the wait :)

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Buddy's Mom,
Nice to meet you! Thank you for your kind words. I am finding out that a lot of beautiful Golden's seem to come from Ontario, Charlie included! You are one lucky momma. Hope you are keeping warm this winter! My last trip to Winnipeg, I thought I was dying after 30 min of walking outside :)

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
Buddy's Mom,
Nice to meet you! Thank you for your kind words. I am finding out that a lot of beautiful Golden's seem to come from Ontario, Charlie included! You are one lucky momma. Hope you are keeping warm this winter! My last trip to Winnipeg, I thought I was dying after 30 min of walking outside :)
Ha, ha, this winter is not really bad (so far).
We have great breeders in Canada, unfortunately not so many in Manitoba. But as we like to say on this forum, somewhere out there your dog is waiting for you and you will find each other, that's how we found our Charlie.

·
Registered
257 Posts
Beautiful story!

Welcome to the forum...I am also a fellow Canadian!! Your story is very touching and I am sure that when you get Rundle home, everything will fall into place!

Just remember, puppies are hard work as I am sure you are aware! They are cute for a reason and it's so we still love them after they eat our shoes!!

Enjoy your beautiful creature and please make sure to send us updated pictures!!

This is my Kora...she is now just over 7 months old!!

·
Registered
2,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Kora2014,
Loving all the love from the fellow Canadians! Thanks!
I think we have prepared the best we can at this point. We've got our clickers ready, our place puppy proofed. Baby gates for the cat food/cat litter. A Kuranda bed (in case she is a heavy chewer). Harness and leash. No tip, non-skid stainless steel bowls. A crate, vetbed, kong, bully sticks, and many other kinds of toys for variety and learning. Puppy pads, in case we need them. Puppy shampoo, nail clippers, natures miracle, bitter apply spray. Brushes. We got bully sticks, Acana, and natural balance log to cut up for treats. We even got her a snuggle puppy to help get her through the first few nights. I think we have everything, but let me know if there is something else you recommend. I am holding off on a forced air blow dryer for now. We are prepared for trouble. But, this being the first dog I/we have have raised on our own, we're still not really sure just how much trouble we are in for... no matter what she throws our way, I assure she will be loved.
We just confirmed with the breeder that we can go see her at 6 weeks on Saturday. I will be sure to upload more pictures from our visit.
All of you have such beautiful dogs! It is making it impossible to wait 2.5 more weeks to get ours. I think I talked everyone's ear off at work today about our little Rundle.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
It looks like your Rundle is already on the mission to bring all Canadians on the forum together in her thread ;).
Looking forward to see the photo update.

·
Registered
816 Posts
This fellow Canadian has only 4 more sleeps until she gets Mr. Green Collared Boy!

It is hard to believe that this forum brought me here 4 months ago after we lost our 1st Golden Oakley and I was in such despair.

The only thing that I can tell you is to prepare yourself. You will fall so in love with your Golden and with each passing year the bond will grow deeper. Never in our wildest dreams did our family know how we would be hit with the Golden Love Bug. There is something about this breed - they are beautiful / handsome inside & out!

PS: Are you going to go to Puppy Kindy classes?

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Apart from your 'puppy' supplies, I would also get a bunch of towels. I had what I called the 'pee' towels - really ugly towels only used for accidents (so they wouldn't get mistaken for good towels). And then other towels for rainy, muddy days. My new favorite thing is Microfibre towels from the car wash sections of stores. They are the best things for drying a dog and way cheaper than any doggy towels. I'm actually making my own doggy sized towels using these. Have fun on your puppy visit.

·
I miss my Buddy
11,534 Posts
This fellow Canadian has only 4 more sleeps until she gets Mr. Green Collared Boy!

It is hard to believe that this forum brought me here 4 months ago after we lost our 1st Golden Oakley and I was in such despair.

The only thing that I can tell you is to prepare yourself. You will fall so in love with your Golden and with each passing year the bond will grow deeper. Never in our wildest dreams did our family know how we would be hit with the Golden Love Bug. There is something about this breed - they are beautiful / handsome inside & out!

PS: Are you going to go to Puppy Kindy classes?
Biiiig congratulations to you, I've read your posts but have never responded, sorry about that.
My Charlie was a Green Boy:

Attachments

1 - 20 of 544 Posts