Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Well,

We bought Roxie a new crate that I don't belive she can get out of. Here is a picture of her in her crate for the first time. I am going to be keeping her in the bathroom when I leave the house just so she can start to associate the crate with something positive instead of me leaving the house. I think by doing this for a week or two hopefully she will start to like the crate.

Also this crate is A LOT lighter to move around, so it will be going into our bedroom at night next to me so she can go in it at night time to sleep in.

So what you think? The padding is from her wire kennel that she was getting out of, so I just put it in there for her to lay on.

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Opie

Opie

Does Roxie have room in there to stand up?
How long will she be in the crate?

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
She can stand in it, I work from home. It is mainly when I have to leave the house. She will be in at 3 hours max.

Here are the dimensions:
Size 6 - 36.5 x 25.5 x 26.75

·
Dr. Rainheart
5,563 Posts
I think it looks fine. She has room to lie down, turn around, and stand. That is how a crate is supposed to be.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
That makes me feel better. It is weird, I have 2 kids, 7 and 3 and I don't think I have stressed as much with them as I do with Roxie. Anyone else think that is weird?

·
Registered
4,345 Posts
IDK...I think it looks a little small, too. I have to say that that type of crate is pretty easy for dogs to pop the door open. At least in my experience selling them for many years. I had a lot returned for that very reason. If her head can touch the top, all she has to do is put pressure on that spot and the door will pop out.

I've always used x-pens. If a dog is an escape artist, you can just put a top on them. Hope this crate works for you...I would try it out when you're home first, just to be sure.

·
Registered
2,112 Posts
I add my vote for the "it's too small." Take it back and get credit towards a larger one. She sure looks cramped in that thing.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
She does not like any crates. I just noticed in the picture, but the door is smaller than the roof, by atleast a few inches. So the opening is smaller than the actual crate. If she pushes on the top of the crate, it wont' do anything to the door latch. Can't be any worse than the metal crate that she was getting out of before.

·
Registered
10,465 Posts
My dog has a similar crate. It's bigger (XL size), but I can go in there with him and close the door.

He loves it, its his favorite hang out place. Even when everyone is home and just watching TV or whatever he loves to lay in there.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts