Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My 2 GR's have very rough paws (pads) & sometimes seem irritated by them. We walk about 6 to 8 miles per day on country roads & trails where they are free to run & sometimes end up with scrapes & stuff. Is there anything that may be applied to there paws that isn't unhealthy (as they are sure to lick most of it off)? Or is this normal (I'm sure) & I shouldn't worry about it...

Also, is there a point at which walking (too much?) does more harm then good? My two are one & two years old & have more than enough energy to do our 40-50 miles per week. They seem completely healthy, just don't want to over do it...

·
Marcy
8,914 Posts
Try Musher's Secret, it is great and mine love the foot massage. I think your dogs will tell you if the walk is too long. They have to build up the muscle mass and be in shape for it and it sounds like yours are ready for it! Mine would do ten miles every day, I tell ya.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Definitely second the Musher's Secret.
You can try booties, but if the dogs get wet with them on it can irritate the pads even more.
Be careful, my golden got his pads irritated from concrete decking by a pool and had to be put on antibiotics and bed rest for a couple of weeks.

·
Registered
216 Posts
My vet recommended Udder Cream, but he licks it and it doesn't seem to be working. I'll check on Musher's Secret too.

·
Now Caue's Dad Too!
37,489 Posts
I use the Mushers Secret on the boys. I do about half the miles you do. Salt seems to be the thing that bothers the most. Their pads are very rough but I just thought that was a one way traction type thing.

·
Social Therapy Dog
613 Posts
I havent tried mushers secret but I will be looking into it. I've found that during the summer I need to use a bit of "tar" moisturizer on Ambers pads. Its "ok" smelling, brown in color, very viscous in consistency but works incredibly well! I found that just applying it every few days helps to take the edge off the roughness of her pads from the severe heat of the roads and blacktop.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts