Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm new to this forum - our 10 month old golden Rory was incredibly mouthy when he was very young, and chews and eats EVERYTHING. He cannot have anyting other than nylabone and kong toys, as he growls with rawhides, eats his blankets and beds, ets. He was along for 30 minutes (after a vigorous play session in the backyard) while I showered, and when I came back into the room he had destroyed my arm chaior down to the frame. We use non aversive training and do training classes and practice each day. My question - is this normal puppy behavior and will he stop some day? Thank you

·
Registered
44 Posts
Well at least it was only the arm chair, my ten month old flat coat got the whole couch and a mattress. It's a phase and he will grow out of it. If possible you might want to crate him while out of sight. Sorry about the furniture but now you can get something different:doh:

·
Premium Member
17,944 Posts
For a very mouthy puppy it can be normal until they mature some. I agree with crating him when you are out of sight, and you might look into some type of activity to do with him that will use that "mouthing" drive.

·
& Sawyer's & Quinn's too!
2,740 Posts
My 8 month old, Quinn, eats everything. He is a goat. He is now an imprisoned goat - when we aren't around, he sees the world through the bars of his crate. I hope he outgrows it pretty soon.... It does break my heart - Sophie and Sawyer were never crated beyond the first few months of puppyhood. I hate to do it, but it is more for his safety than the safety of our house.

·
shadow friend
3,886 Posts
My guy had a thing for wood. Kitchen cupboards and chairs, deck stairs.... He did finally outgrow the eating of wooden things - but he still eats books sometimes if we aren't careful enough to put them out of reach!

·
Registered
4,934 Posts
It is normal; however, I would definitely crate him whenever you can't keep an eye on him, both for his own safety and to prevent things from getting destroyed. Material in chairs can easily cause an intestinal obstruction if swallowed.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thank you for your replies. It's just good to know its not that unusual. He did already spend the night at the veterinarians over the summer for a blockage that fortunately cleared on its own. I will crate him while I'm in the shower from now on. I love the first reply that suggested now I can go furniture shopping - our furniture is 15 years old and has been thru the runner - once Rory is less prone to eat upholstry I do plan to replace it!

·
Kye & Coops Mom
4,466 Posts
Im sorry, I HAVE to giggle! Our now gone to the RB (NOT because he ate the armchair!) was the worst one for eatting our furniture I have ever seen. Fred has been gone for over 20 yrs, but we still have the dinningroom table with chew marks on it down all 4 of the legs. That boy could eat a piece of furniture, window sills, chair legs faster than you could blink an eye and would lay and pick his teeth with the reminance (sp) of whatever he had destroyed and think he was a "Good Boy". Over time he passed that stage, but I am sure went into another stage to replace it. Go furniture shopping AFTER he passes this stage and make sure you laugh a lot cause if not..you will cry. I do feel so sorry for you and crating them when you must leave them for any reason sure helps, but dang...in a horrible way it is so funny cause they honestly don't think they have done anything wrong! Of course with two young GR's now, I have to pray I am not saying the same thing on this forum soon, but so far-so good.

But your post has certainly made my day!

·
Dog Lover
42,038 Posts
Steph

My 8 month old, Quinn, eats everything. He is a goat. He is now an imprisoned goat - when we aren't around, he sees the world through the bars of his crate. I hope he outgrows it pretty soon.... It does break my heart - Sophie and Sawyer were never crated beyond the first few months of puppyhood. I hate to do it, but it is more for his safety than the safety of our house.
STEPH: This is smart-this protects Quinn so he doesn't get hurt, too, and it protects the house. It is AMAZING how different dogs are. We've experienced this also, some of our dogs were hardly ever crated and others had to be crated for longer.

·
Lucy & Dory's Mom
2,760 Posts
Dory Gale had an affinity for things wooden when she was little. We had a new bedroom suit, and the TV chest was defective, so Bart pulled a drawer out and left it until Furniture Row came to replace the whole thing. It took two months for them to do that and in the mean time, Dory ate the corners off of it.

Now thankfully, she has learned to chew only on Nylabones. We may complain when we step on a hard, durable Nylabone with bare feet as she leaves them stashed throughout the house, but better that than she chew something she shouldn't.

·
Registered
4,215 Posts
lol. (Sorry - it's always a little funnier when the furniture destruction happens to someone else. :))

Our Cooper had a thing for furniture destruction, too. He was nearly three before he could be trusted. And even then, it was iffy.

I noticed that you said he chewed up the armchair after a vigorous play session. If it happened shortly after you came back inside, he could have still been a little "hyped up" from playing. Is it possible that he wasn't completely worn out, still had the juices flowing so to speak and needed to find an outlet? I've noticed with our Goldens over the years (and our GSDs even more so) that unless they were completely worn out, it takes them a while to sort of wind down after vigorous play, and they're more likely to act up or be destructive until they do.

I'd still crate, though, just to play it safe.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts