Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'm not sure what to give Rookie for what seems to be a sore paw.

We went to the dog park today and Rookie ran and played pretty hard. He seemed pretty tired by the time we left, but that's pretty normal. He was fine when we came home, and then he sacked out and slept for a good long nap. He woke up limping pretty badly. I don't know if it's a muscle, tendon, hip, or paw problem. But he's definitely in some pain.

I felt around and moved his leg a bit and the only thing that seemed to bother him was when I was feeling around between the pads of his feet. I couldn't feel anything, no glass or prickles or obvious cuts or anything, but it did seem to be tender. I soaked his paw in warm water with an anti-bacterial shampoo to see if that might soothe it. It just breaks my heart to see my puppy suffering though.

I have baby aspirin here at the house and I have some Rimadyl that the vet gave me after Rookie was neutered. I never gave him the Rimadyl because my sister had heard how serious the side effects could be and he never seemed to need it. But he's definitely in pain now. Should I try him on the Rimadyl or should I give him a baby aspirin?

I'm going to limit his activity tomorrow and if it's still bad by tomorrow night, I'll take him to the vet on Monday morning.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
Not the baby aspirin, buffered aspirin only. I can't remember the dosage/times/day. Call your vet for that, or the Rimadyl would help, Maybe he broke a toe?

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Maybe he broke a toe?
I did wonder if he broke something or pulled a muscle at the park today. It just seems odd that he was fine, then he took a nap, and woke up limping. Of course, my first thought/fear was dysplasia. But it SEEMS to be his paw. Who knows though. I think I'm going to have to let him sleep and see how he's doing in the morning.

·
<---- Andy Farmer!
5,885 Posts
I think you're safe with the rimadyl to decrease the swelling, especially since it was administered to his weight. It sounds like his joint right? you said "paw". Let us know tomorrow.

·
Registered
869 Posts
You can buy low dose enteric coated aspirin. It is the same mg per pill as a baby aspirin. (80mg) I just recently looked online to get dosing for dogs for people medications they are allowed to have. For aspirin I saw 5 mg per pound. If you give aspirin please call the vet or look the dose up online a a couple sites. I had also heard bad things about the Rimadyl, but never used it on any of my pets.

Hope he is feeling better soon.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Rookie is moving a little better this morning. Definitely still limping a bit but not as bad as yesterday.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts