Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Oscar has been doing something new lately - when playing fetch he takes his ball, lays it on the ground and rolls all over it! It's the cutest thing ever to watch. He only does it with his ball and only when he's outside. I think it's his way of marking it as his. Do any of your goldens do this type of thing as well?

·
Registered
1,396 Posts
Harry does the exact same thing. But he's very particular about which ball he rolls on. He has three or four balls that stay in the back yard and he only rolls on one of them (an old tennis ball he found in the bushes that must have been hit over the fence by the neighbor kids).

·
Abby and Chewie's Mom
130 Posts
It's quite possible that Oscar and Harry are marking the balls with their scents! It might also feel good on their backs. :)

Abby loved to roll too, but it was the opposite--she liked finding smelly, disgusting things outside and rolling so she'd pick up their scents.

·
Registered
3,503 Posts
Tayla does it with a couple of her toys, but only inside. Interesting.

·
AAARF!
2,216 Posts
Finn rolled on a ball this weekend for the first time. I've seen him roll on other toys (or Rindy!), but never a ball. I took him down to my parents backyard and my mom had a new Tinkerbell ball :p: about the size of a basketball for him to play with. He pushed it around the yard with his nose for awhile and then it deflated a little bit after he grabbed it with his teeth a few times. He had a good time rolling all over it though. Tinkerbell definitely got squashed this weekend! :)

·
Registered
64 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Very interesting that some dogs roll on their toys inside and some only do it when they're outside. Oscar has a "thing" with rolling around outside. He rolls in the same two patches in our backyard and the same patch of grass at the pond where he goes swimming :)

·
Registered
7,937 Posts
When I used to take Georgie to soccer games, he would roll on kids that were petting him if they were sitting or lying on the ground.

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
Yes, Fiona is a pro at it. The ball seems to follow her somehow, no idea how she accomplishes such a feat. She will start off in one spot and by the time she is rolling 5 or 10 feet away doing her Golden roll of happiness it is still underneath her.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts