Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Charlotte
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
In the last three days Jess has found : a dead seal (I'm gonna have to call Natural resourses to have this removed) , a dead seagull (in the water) and the prize today : a turkey carcass (cooked) at a local park. Every time he finds a dead thing he does his ritualistic rolling over the body. They have to have been dead for a while and really stinky. I know a lot of dogs do this but I keep wondering ..why. My theory is it gives them the smell of a killer, thus making them more frightening to predators. Any ideas?

·
Registered
33,267 Posts
They do it to cover their prey scent. They roll in scents that make them less of a threat..to turkeys, seals and sea gulls...and easier to sneak up on their prey.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Ha! Your Barkley was special in SO many ways! He just liked to p*ss you off from time to time. ;)
It got him a shower every time! I'd march him right home and right into the shower stall as soon as the water got warmed!

Toby just points at the poop and gives me a look of Ewwww--pooo!! Then he tries to get away from it....he much prefers to pick up the dead carcass and carry it with him. :yuck::doh:

·
Registered
5,925 Posts
They do it to cover their prey scent. They roll in scents that make them less of a threat..to turkeys, seals and sea gulls...and easier to sneak up on their prey.
Yep, spot on. The poo thing disguises them too. Fiona loves to roll on the fish I catch, silly girl.

I have to say though...Generally love to roll on their backs. It is know as the Golden roll of happiness. Dog walkers will see my dog rolling around and say my dog found something stinky. Nope, that's just part of their Golden trait. The freshly mowed lawn scent Goldens do smell nice. And a roll in the snow equates a bath.

It's a bitch when they roll around in the burrs though....

·
Charlotte
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Yep, spot on. The poo thing disguises them too. Fiona loves to roll on the fish I catch, silly girl.

I have to say though...Generally love to roll on their backs. It is know as the Golden roll of happiness. Dog walkers will see my dog rolling around and say my dog found something stinky. Nope, that's just part of their Golden trait. The freshly mowed lawn scent Goldens do smell nice. And a roll in the snow equates a bath.

It's a bitch when they roll around in the burrs though....
Jess does this too. I call it the happy dance. On Christmas morning we met one other dog . there was a bit of crusty snow. They both rolled on their backs and did the happy dance. Like two syncrinized swimmers. And oh yes, I hate those burrs.

·
Charlotte
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I've heard this theory before. Does make sense. Although I can't imagine the Jess-ster trying to sneak up on anything.

·
Charlotte
6,604 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
That dead seal has to go though. It's on one of our regular walk routes and does it smell!

·
Registered
1,336 Posts
Nugget has his own unique way "disguise" himself. When he is wet he runs over to the grassy area and rolls. When he comes back he is literally green.

·
Missing Whiskey
77 Posts
My Whiskey once rolled on a dead porcupine while out hiking with us. He came back looking a porcupine himself with numerous quills stuck on this back and belly. It took a while to pull them out, and it hurt quite a bit :)

·
Registered
1,227 Posts
My husband had a black and tan hound. The dog found and rolled in a dead salmon. That oily stuff does not wash off. We were so glad we had taken him to the park in the pickup truck.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts