Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
1,040 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
What's the best way to teach roll over? I've been making him lay down, then physically rolling him over, then giving him a treat/praise. He doesn't seem to be catching on. Normally it only takes a couple times and he starts to get the idea. We've been working on this twice a day for days and still nothin. Any hints?

·
Daisy - my heart
12,575 Posts
I don't remember how I taught this to Daisy but I think you have to keep the treat in front of them while they're rolling, take it around their head so that they're following the treat by rolling. And then give them the treat after the roll.

Good luck!

·
Registered
810 Posts
We're in the process of teaching Lucy this. You've got the lay down part right. Take a treat and move it from their nose to shoulder (start with whichever their dominant side is i.e. which side they relax on), this will make them lay back as they try to get the treat. Next, move the treat across their shoulders and out away from them, continuing in the same direction. Usually, this will get Lucy onto her back, flopped right out. Then continue moving the treat away from their nose, along the same line as before, so they continue the flip over part. Sometimes you have to physically flop them over because they're flexible little monkey's! Treat once they're all the way over, even if you had to flip them the last little bit yourself.

Clear as mud? Usually, Lucy gets things in one or two tries as well, but this trick is taking much longer than shake and high five did. :wavey:

·
Registered
268 Posts
Luci has it, simply said start with treat in front of the nose then bring it around their collar. they'll follow it with their nose and will naturally roll over.

then once that is down you can hammer out a good BANG or play dead.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Odie will be 4 months old next week and we still haven't mastered Roll Over. Thank you all for the great advice, we'll keep working!!! Thanks to Murphy's Mom for posting this!!! Good Luck Murphy!

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
I draw the nose closer to the floor and toward the hip then over...

1 - 7 of 7 Posts