Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi Guys, thought I'd throw this out there for some info on how to address it.

Einstein's parents (Chase and Chloe) are both owned by one of my best friends who I ran into recently at the mall. He and his wife don't have kids so they lavish all their attention on their Goldens.

They told me that a brother of Einstein's -one batch down, who still lives with them, has assumed the role of ALPHA DOG in the pack and his behavior has markedly changed as well.

Whenever Chase (the dad) tries to approach Chloe (the mom), Chummy (the dog in question) starts growling and makes threatening moves towards Chase -who just gives in. They said that several times they actually got into a fight and always it is Chase who decidedly backs down.

Needless to say, they are both saddened by this development as Chase has always been the gentle type, towards his pups and especially towards Chloe. Now, he can't even get near her without being mauled -and by his own son to boot!

Why do you think this is? And can this role-reversal be fixed?

Thanks. :(

·
Registered
43,252 Posts
There is no rule that says the oldest being the alpha dog. But that behavior would bother me and I would have a behaviorist work on it.

·
Nancy
7,493 Posts
If the males are both intact, it sounds like it's time for the young whipper-snapper to get snipped since your friends wouldn't be using him to breed with their female.

·
Tracer, Rumor & Cady
10,683 Posts
Will be curious to here the opinions of others....

An insecure male will often act like the youngster mentioned...the older male may not have the leadership/bodylanguage/personality skills to keep him in line...but that doesnt mean the the youngster is equipped to rule the roost.

The youngster sounds like he might need more to do with his brain/body and to have a reminder that guarding the bitch is not his job. There are rules to living in a house... guarding people/places/other animals 'aint one of them.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts