Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a Golden Retriever, his name is Rocky and I have had him since he was six weeks old. He just turned 1 year old on the 16th and early this morning I heard a commotion in my room and woke up to find him having what looked like a seizure to me at 1am. I have never seen this happen in any of my other dogs so, it took me by surprise. I held him till he was through convulsing and made sure he was okay, I took him to the kitchen and laid him on the tile floor and sat there with him till he wasn't disoriented anymore and than got him up to go outside and go potty. He came back in and drank some water and I made sure he had something to eat. I brought him back in my room with me and we laid back down and than he had another one at 5am and it was the same as the first one.

I have had dogs my whole life and this has absolutely rocked me, I do not have a whole lot of money but I do take care of my animals and this just plain scares the daylights out of me. I don't know what to do for him, I have called my vet and they want $1000 up front and I do not have that kind of money. I want what is best for my boy, but is there anyway someone can give me a better idea in what to do. He had another one at 8am and has been seizure free since, but that doesn't tell me that it won't happen again.

The only thing that I can figure that was different was that he got a hold of a mouse last night and I took what was left of it away from him, could this be what triggered him to have seizures or no?

Please help, I am heart broken about my baby!

Lynn

·
Super Moderator Leader
48,957 Posts
Welcome to the forum.

I am so sorry about Rocky, I don't have any experience with seizures, there are several members on the forum that do and hopefully they will give you advice.

Here is a thread that may be helpful-

http://www.goldenretrieverforum.com...es/108429-seizures-101-basic-information.html

ETA: Do you have Pet Insurance on Rocky? If not, talk to your Vet and see if they would be willing to work out a payment plan for you. There's also Care Credit you can apply for which covers Vet Expenses. You can either go the Care Credit Website and apply or most Vet clinics have the pamphlets.

·
Registered
15 Posts
I have had one friend who had a German Sheppard who suffered from seizures throughout his life. I know he was on Phenobarbital tablets to help control or eliminate them but I have to admit I have no idea about the dosage or cost. (I don't think it was hugely expensive)
Its certainly a manageable condition if he was anything to go by and the GSD was absolutely fine for the vast majority of the time. The key however is identifiying the cause, which unfortunately can be expensive.

·
Registered
480 Posts
The recent exposure to the mouse and the following seizures is very concerning for Bromethalin toxicity to me. Bromethalin is a rodenticide and can cause neurological symptoms, including seizures. The number of seizures is also concerning to me and I strongly urge you to take your pup in to the vet, investigating alternate payment methods as has been suggested. They can test for Bromethalin in addition to general blood work which is always the start of a work up for seizures. They can also give him meds to control the seizures.

Here, not to be a scare monger, is a link to the Merck Veterinary Manual information on Bromethalin. Bromethalin - Toxicology - Merck Veterinary Manual

Please take him in!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you CAROLINA MOM, I do not have insurance on Rocky but I will definitely be looking into it with what is going on with him. I can assume this will probably be a life long problem with him and I do not want him to suffer.

·
Registered
480 Posts
I can assume this will probably be a life long problem with him and I do not want him to suffer.
This MAY be epilepsy, and a lifetime problem, but right now, with the history of the exposure to the mouse, I would be MUCH more concerned that this is poisoning! Please don’t make assumptions which result in your waiting to take him in. The longer you wait, the less there is that they can do to lessen the absorption of the poison, if that’s what it is.

·
Registered
213 Posts
My Gatsby has occasional seizures. They started almost a year ago at the age of 4 and I am still figuring out the triggers.
Definitely, a mouse could trigger a seizure.
Some dogs have idiopathic epilepsy (unknown origin) that is linked to genetics. The onset for these seizures is usually between 1 to 4 years. Your boy may fall in this category. In this case a visit to neurologist is usually recommended following by MRI. I followed this path as I was not constrained by finances. However even the neurologist didn’t think the MRI was necessary as after the neurological assessment he was certain Gatsby doesn’t have a brain tumor or any brain abnormalities. Usually the MRI is considered for older dogs with sudden onset of seizures.
Your boy could also have seizures that are triggered by certain foods, environment, vaccines, preventives. The mouse he swallowed and the content of the mouse stomach could definitely trigger a seizure. I believe my Gatsby doesn’t have a typical genetic epilepsy. His first seizure (long grand mal) and another two shortly after I attribute to beet consumption. We were free of seizures for half a year. Then on the day of his annual vaccines, a dose of bravecto and heartgard he had another seizure. Then couple of months later he had another one 3 days after heartgard. So now I stopped both bravecto and heartgard, no preventives for him and no seizures so far. But we need to think what we will do next year as far as preventives and vaccines.
Take care of Rocky, I hope it was one off, but a trip to the vet would be good to eliminate a case of poisoning.

·
Premium Member
18,315 Posts
This MAY be epilepsy, and a lifetime problem, but right now, with the history of the exposure to the mouse, I would be MUCH more concerned that this is poisoning! Please don’t make assumptions which result in your waiting to take him in. The longer you wait, the less there is that they can do to lessen the absorption of the poison, if that’s what it is.
Siandvm is veterinarian. Please listen to this advise and take him in now for bloodwork.

·
Registered
1,084 Posts
I would also be concerned with toxicity if the mouse had ingested something prior to your ingesting it.

Reactions: shoeboxbaby1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
So, I took him to the vet and they ran all the tests on him, it is not toxicity, it is absolutely Epilepsy and she is starting him on Phenobarbital. He is still disoriented and she said that until the seizures stop he will be, I am doing everything I can to make sure he is comfortable and not going to harm himself. Thank you everyone for the thoughts and caring so much. I had no clue what was going on with him and it scared me to death, all I knew was that I did not want to lose my Furbaby, he is my everything.

Thank You Again, Lynn

·
Registered
764 Posts
I had a dog with epilepsy, and they put her on Phenobarbital, I had them write the prescription out to my local pharmacy, and it was much cheaper than getting it from the vet...these days I have them write out the prescriptions to target as that is also cheaper than getting the meds at the vet office!

·
Registered
480 Posts
I’m very pleased to hear that it is not toxicity, as one never knows whether they will recover, but very sad to hear that they have diagnosed epilepsy, as that will be something to deal with forever. Did they do blood work?

·
Registered
4,515 Posts
I am sorry too. I have a friend whose dog has epilepsy and she is a happy dog who is still going strong at 13 years old.

Reactions: shoeboxbaby1

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
I’m very pleased to hear that it is not toxicity, as one never knows whether they will recover, but very sad to hear that they have diagnosed epilepsy, as that will be something to deal with forever. Did they do blood work?

They did do blood work and she said it is absolutely not toxicity and all of his other tests came back just fine and she said that normally she would not just prescribe Phenobarbital but with as many seizures as he was having she felt that was the best for him. He had a total of 14 seizures yesterday and had one early this morning but is starting to play with the other dogs again, he is still a little skittish but she also stated that it will take him a while to adjust to his new life. She said that he can still live a pretty normal life we just have to make sure he isn't around water. We do not have to worry about that, we do not have a pool. Thank you again everyone for your thoughtfulness and caring you have been a great support for me.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts