Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Robin
294 Posts
I’m in Colorado. Thank you for all that info!!! Can I message you directly
Yes, I’ll send you a PM. I have someone in mind who may have puppies soon in Arizona. If you’re going to have a mentor, it’s nice if it’s someone near you. I’m in Florida and have dogs with the temperament and look it sounds like you want, but it’s hard to be a hands-on mentor so far away. Is your current dog your service dog as well? Are you hoping to train a girl puppy to be a therapy dog, service, or both?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Yes, I’ll send you a PM. I have someone in mind who may have puppies soon in Arizona. If you’re going to have a mentor, it’s nice if it’s someone near you. I’m in Florida and have dogs with the temperament and look it sounds like you want, but it’s hard to be a hands-on mentor so far away. Is your current dog your service dog as well? Are you hoping to train a girl puppy to be a therapy dog, service, or both?
Thank you

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
Cannot imagine a stud contract that reads like that- so use and sell, I would interpret that as 'puppies my dog sires are not worth adding to a gene pool'...

about now, I expect someone to post their first post and defend this absolutely 'awful for the breed' breeder.

·
Robin
294 Posts
Can you look at Golden Girls Kennel in Eastern Colorado
So this place is doing a lot of clearances on their dogs, but still not complete clearances on the ones they import as adults. Their Serbian dog, Louie, only has FCI hips (no OFA). He was less than two years old when he came to them, and then they made the effort to take him for OFA elbows when he was two, but didn’t do his hips at that point. They also use language that is indicative of a complete lack of understanding of the golden retriever breed standard, and much more of a focus on using buzz words that lots of puppy buyers are looking for (English Crème, platinum, blocky head, gentle giant...Goldens are not supposed to be giant). From their home page, the very first thing they say about their breeding program:
Golden Girls Kennels® is located in Colorado. We breed, import, and sell Golden Retrievers from International CH lines in the USA and worldwide. We have a large range of Golden Retriever puppies such as; white golden retrievers, also known as pale golden retrievers, English crème retrievers, platinum blond, American blond, red, and many more. Take a browse around our website and see what puppies we offer.

It’s all about importing and color, color, color. They don’t talk about what they do with their dogs, what accomplishments the dogs have, what their involvement is in the golden retriever world, if they’re a member of any clubs, what the goal of their breeding program is.

Also this:
We do cutting edge health clearances. Many of the health clearances we have on our dogs are not being done by other Golden Retriever breeders. Many of our health clearances, less than 500 Golden Retrievers out of the hundreds of thousands registered with the AKC have been tested for. If we can gain knowledge to ensure we are breeding the best of the best through health clearances then we do it!

This sounds like a sales pitch. They do a lot of extra genetic tests for disorders which aren’t even common at all in goldens, but then don’t have the core four clearances done after the age of two.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
and there ya go! There are not less than 500 GR tested for any of the disorders we can test for, believe me.
And obviously since they do not do full clearances after 24 months, that 'gaining knowledge' thing isn't a real thing in their world.. just lip service.

·
Puddles
3,684 Posts
Tricia I'm no breeder but going to put my 2 cents in here. Just food for thought.
Prism and Halia are mentoring you via the GRF but not sure you are hearing. Halia has offered info for an ethical breeder and possible mentor closer to your location. But my observation on your actions is you aren't wanting to spend the time to really learn. You are looking for breeding stock without having the foundation to understand what makes a good breeder 1st.
Prism & Halia have been doing this for a very long time, participated in the breed, studied the breed, training and showing in many venues, involved with the GRCA, AKC & OFA. They will both want to encourage new breeders and guide them to be as dedicated and ethical as they are, it's good for sustaining the breed.

My suggestion would be to stop looking for the closest unethical breeders and decide what type of breeder do you want to be? Is your goal to be an ethical breeder or just produce pups like so many of the EC breeders throughout the country?

Up to you. If you want to be ethical, stop puppy searching and start learning, get involved with the breed groups so you understand why these websites you are viewing are nothing more than hype. If you are wanting to be just another puppy producer, you are certainly reviewing really great examples on how to scam the uninformed puppy buying public.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So this place is doing a lot of clearances on their dogs, but still not complete clearances on the ones they import as adultsTheir Serbian dog, Louie only has FCI hips (no OFA). He was less than two years old when he came to them, and then they made the effort to take him for OFA elbows when he was two, but didn’t do his hips at that point. They also use language that is indicative of a complete lack of understanding of the golden retriever breed standard, and much more of a focus on using buzz words that lots of puppy buyers are looking for (English Crème, platinum, blocky head, gentle giant...Goldens are not supposed to be giant). From their home page, the very first thing they say about their breeding program:
Golden Girls Kennels® is located in Colorado. We breed, import, and sell Golden Retrievers from International CH lines in the USA and worldwide. We have a large range of Golden Retriever puppies such as; white golden retrievers, also known as pale golden retrievers, English crème retrievers, platinum blond, American blond, red, and many more. Take a browse around our website and see what puppies we offer.

It’s all about importing and color, color, color. They don’t talk about what they do with their dogs, what accomplishments the dogs have, what their involvement is in the golden retriever world, if they’re a member of any clubs, what the goal of their breeding program is.

Also this:
We do cutting edge health clearances. Many of the health clearances we have on our dogs are not being done by other Golden Retriever breeders. Many of our health clearances, less than 500 Golden Retrievers out of the hundreds of thousands registered with the AKC have been tested for. If we can gain knowledge to ensure we are breeding the best of the best through health clearances then we do it!

This sounds like a sales pitch. They do a lot of extra genetic tests for disorders which aren’t even common at all in goldens, but then don’t have the core four clearances done after the age of two.
Thank you!!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Tricia I'm no breeder but going to put my 2 cents in here. Just food for thought.
Prism and Halia are mentoring you via the GRF but not sure you are hearing. Halia has offered info for an ethical breeder and possible mentor closer to your location. But my observation on your actions is you aren't wanting to spend the time to really learn. You are looking for breeding stock without having the foundation to understand what makes a good breeder 1st.
Prism & Halia have been doing this for a very long time, participated in the breed, studied the breed, training and showing in many venues, involved with the GRCA, AKC & OFA. They will both want to encourage new breeders and guide them to be as dedicated and ethical as they are, it's good for sustaining the breed.

My suggestion would be to stop looking for the closest unethical breeders and decide what type of breeder do you want to be? Is your goal to be an ethical breeder or just produce pups like so many of the EC breeders throughout the country?

Up to you. If you want to be ethical, stop puppy searching and start learning, get involved with the breed groups so you understand why these websites you are viewing are nothing more than hype. If you are wanting to be just another puppy producer, you are certainly reviewing really great examples on how to scam the uninformed puppy buying public.
Ouch! That’s not at all what I’m doing I just actually googled golden retrievers in Colorado. I was looking for Susan McFarland who is very well known in Colorado. I was out working with my boy and a lady asked if my dog was a Susan McFarland dog. I said no and she began to tell me Susan’s story, so I just came upon this website thought I would ask. Not asking for judgement actually asking what both Prism and Halia retrievers thought because their website looked good. IMO THIS is also how we learn and FYI I have reached out to the other breeders.

·
Registered
16 Posts
So this place is doing a lot of clearances on their dogs, but still not complete clearances on the ones they import as adults. Their Serbian dog, Louie, only has FCI hips (no OFA). He was less than two years old when he came to them, and then they made the effort to take him for OFA elbows when he was two, but didn’t do his hips at that point. They also use language that is indicative of a complete lack of understanding of the golden retriever breed standard, and much more of a focus on using buzz words that lots of puppy buyers are looking for (English Crème, platinum, blocky head, gentle giant...Goldens are not supposed to be giant). From their home page, the very first thing they say about their breeding program:

Also this:

I did forget about them saying platinum etc. That too should have been an indication as well. Thank you

·
Super Moderator
907 Posts
@Tricia Nelson I too, am just getting started in the golden retriever world. I prefer english type goldens as well and with my current golden I joined fb groups, my local all breed kennel club, as well as the GRCA. I took obedience, agility and handling classes with my boy and immersed myself within the golden retriever community in the Northeast. I ended up forming great relationships with a few breeders over the course of a few years and have used them as mentors as I have moved forward. Perhaps by doing something like this you could find a local/semi local, well established breeder to form a relationship with, so they can mentor you as you move toward starting your breeding program. Perhaps starting with a co-own with your mentor could be a great scenario for you to get started on the right foot with a reputable breeder supporting you.

·
Registered
16 Posts
and there ya go! There are not less than 500 GR tested for any of the disorders we can test for, believe me.
And obviously since they do not do full clearances after 24 months, that 'gaining knowledge' thing isn't a real thing in their world.. just lip service.
That also made me wonder but it’s really good to learn if their full of jibberish or not. With all the things that have listed it was confusing to say the least. Thank you again for your insight I really appreciate it!

·
Puddles
3,684 Posts
Ouch! That’s not at all what I’m doing I just actually googled golden retrievers in Colorado. I was looking for Susan McFarland who is very well known in Colorado. I was out working with my boy and a lady asked if my dog was a Susan McFarland dog. I said no and she began to tell me Susan’s story, so I just came upon this website thought I would ask. Not asking for judgement actually asking what both Prism and Halia retrievers thought because their website looked good. IMO THIS is also how we learn and FYI I have reached out to the other breeders.
No judgement meant at all... only an observation. Only judgement or decisions are yours to make. If you can't wade through the hype on a website, it's a good indication you need to do more studying vs depending on them to advise you on the basic stuff. How about spending some time on the GRCA and learning for yourself? This path is sort of like driving yourself to someplace vs riding along and not really remembering the route you took. There are no shortcuts, this takes time and experience to do it correctly so get involved. Find the local GR group and learn. I really do wish you the best. It would be really nice to one day have many really quality breeders for this style of dog.

·
Registered
2,885 Posts
This should help make it very easy to see when a breeder is doing the basics for health or not.

This should be your starting point. After that you need to look for someone who has a basic understanding of good conformation. A lot of what the Eastern European comercial kennels send over to any Johnny come lately with cash to burn is not really breeding quality. They tend to keep the high quality puppies for themselves or sell those to their friends in Europe. Dogs can have passing health certifications and dismal conformation/structure that will cause breakdown and pain for working animals. That is why you should want to take up the help offers from the two Robins and why you want a breeder that does something with their dogs other than using their uterus as an ATM machine.

·
Robin
294 Posts
This should help make it very easy to see when a breeder is doing the basics for health or not.

This should be your starting point. After that you need to look for someone who has a basic understanding of good conformation. A lot of what the Eastern European comercial kennels send over to any Johnny come lately with cash to burn is not really breeding quality. They tend to keep the high quality puppies for themselves or sell those to their friends in Europe. Dogs can have passing health certifications and dismal conformation/structure that will cause breakdown and pain for working animals. That is why you should want to take up the help offers from the two Robins and why you want a breeder that does something with their dogs other than using their uterus as an ATM machine.

Yes, thank you for articulating this...the health clearances do not mean the dog has proper structure. A dog can have OFA everything and excellent hips, but not be structurally sound and not move well, etc. This is why it’s important for a good breeder to develop a careful eye for structure and function, not just things like a stocky build or a blocky head. And no where in the GR breed standard does it say a dog should have a blocky head. So that term alone is pretty indicative that the breeder hasn’t learned much about the breed.

·
Registered
16 Posts

Yes agreed I’m in contact with them now and their willing to help mentor too.

·
Registered
7,384 Posts
In contact with who? Rockin B needs a mentor themselves, I would advise you find someone who does things right to mentor you.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts