Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi Everyone!
I am trying to figure out how to post... trying hard.
I have an 16 month old Golden Retriever pup ( yeah at 96 punds..)
But he EATS ROCKS.
We have had to have one very costly surgery to remove a 4 inch diameter ROCK from his intestines.
His name is Trinian and we love him, but his Dam's name was "Hell on Wheels". I should have paid closer attention to that.
I also have an 8 year old Yellow Labrador who is 92 punds- both big boys.
Anyone have an idea how to discourage rock eating?
We have a bucket muzzle but right now the rocks are under snow and frozen, so he's not as attentive to them.
I am hoping it's a "grow up" problem and will dissapate in time!!
Has anyone else had this problem? Help !!!

·
Registered
21,195 Posts
My Tito was (notice I used the past tense) a rock eater, too. He did outgrow it.
You have to wonder what in the world would possess a dog to want to swallow rocks???
Luckily for us, Tito always managed to vomit them back up again.
I'd say he was right about your boy's age when he quit eating rocks, so there's hope yet!

·
Official Trout Bum
4,216 Posts
My brother had an English Setter that was a rock eater...he was a crazy dog. The second time in for the surgery the vet suggested he could put a zipper in.

As you know the surgery wasn't cheap but fortunately old Bob finally out grew his rock eating habit. Other than keeping a very close eye on the dog I'm not aware of much else you can do. Hopefully he'll out grow it soon - good luck.

Pete

·
Registered
345 Posts
Jacey used to do that as well, but she grew out of it. When I first noticed her going for them I just kept her away from the rocks as much as I could. Luckily the ones she got a hold of were little pebble rocks and she was able to pass it. So hopefully he's able to out grow it.

·
Registered
3,448 Posts
Rookie chewed on rocks as a puppy. What worked for him was to really work on the 'leave it' and 'drop it' commands. Once he knew those commands, he learned that if he dropped the rock (or even better ignored it completely), he would get a treat that tasted way better than the rock.

So I'd suggest you do a couple of short training sessions every day on 'leave it' and 'drop it.' And bring a pocketful of treats and a clicker along on your walks so you can reinforce the commands on your walks.

·
New Mutt on the Block
79 Posts
Both of our goldens are confirmed rock eaters that never outgrew it. Living in a rural area, it's pretty hard to avoid the rocks. Both will respond to "leave it" and "drop it" but they will just go find another rock and start right up again till I am hoarse giving the commands to get them to stop. It's an obsession. The only way to stop it is to go inside, put on the leashes and go for a walk or go do something else to divert their attention.

I have heard from my vet and several others that this is a golden thing and that labs also seem to have this affliction as well. It's a pain in the arse when they get on this jag.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hi Guys,
Thanks for the responses. I am just trying how to figure out how to get through the forum and enjoy it.
Yes, I have tried the "DROP IT, LEAVE IT" and worked with him, but then he goes out and brings in a new rock to play with. ( we get frantic !!!)
Since he is only ( technically) a puppy I am hoping that it lessens with time !!
I am giving Trini more mouthing toys ( that's another thing- he's going through and eating all his toys....)
Most of my Labradors retrived logs not rocks, so am hoping that he is just in a stage of growth.
Thank for the responses!
Merry Christams to all !!!

·
Registered
958 Posts
Welcome to the forum....I love your goldens name...Trinian...very unique!!

Most goldens (and labs for that matter) are very oral creatures and love to put stuff in their mouth. Some grow out of it, some don't. In June, we had to take our pup to the Emergency room after she ate a pretty large rib bone. While we were there, we met a lady who's older lab (7 or 8) was having his second surgery for ingesting rocks. I think she was from Waterford too...maybe Waterford rocks are yummy:p:.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
NOT Yummy !

It really doesn't matter about the rocks right now. 3 FEET of snow is discouraging rock hunting or eating.

Tristan used to take BEER cans and chew off the top ( doggie flip top cans) NOT to eat the can but to lick out the contents.
He would have his "Miller" beer, give a contented burp, and then lay upside down on the couch. We used to call him "The little Irishman who fell off a barstool and woke up in a dog suit."
He's the one who would stare thoughts at you until you looked at him... it was uncanny how he communicated!
One of those once in a lifetime dogs you NEVER forget.

·
Registered
81 Posts
:wavey: and wecome i watched the dog whisperer on this subject and his advice was to have armfuls of tennis balls and everytime the dog went for a rock he took the attention away from the rock with the tennis ball it took a little time but it worked.Good luck :wavey:

·
Registered
304 Posts
before posting about this I searched, sure enough found all of you to make me feel better! Bear just passed 2 small rocks in his stool & we have pea gravel & larger all around our pool area! Hope he doesn't swallow a big one! How would you tell? He often will get a bigger rock in his mouth & kinda "chew" on it & I make him drop it of course.....but what if I don't see him & he swallows one?? We can't redo our 1/3 acre yard!!!

·
Registered
73 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I had the rock eater, Trinian.
Now that the snow is so deep we don't worry about him eating rocks, but when it was low our Vet suggested a basket muzzle for him while he was on the binge.
You know when he vomits rocks and then refuses food, that one is stuck in the intestine.
It's a major surgery and NOT cheap. Think a thousand dollar ROCK.
He's 15 months right now and at that devilish age. I am hoping that he outgrows it.
I have always had Labrador Retrievers and they are mouthy, too, but never had one eat rocks.
The basket muzzle works but he hates it and we only use it when we are gone from the house and he is able to get out in the dog run.
Ours is alongside our house and filled with rocks, too.
Impossible to get rid of, so we have to modify his interest in rocks.
Whenever we SEE him with one, we say "Leave it" and offer a treat instead.
But as I said, he's at that age..... AAUGH !
Good luck with your rock eater !!

·
Registered
5,005 Posts
Been there, done that, paid the 5 grand to have them removed.

With Dakota, it was 5 pounds of Gravel.

I'm afraid I don't have any suggestions. I don't even know why Daki did it.

Hi Everyone!
I am trying to figure out how to post... trying hard.
I have an 16 month old Golden Retriever pup ( yeah at 96 punds..)
But he EATS ROCKS.
We have had to have one very costly surgery to remove a 4 inch diameter ROCK from his intestines.
His name is Trinian and we love him, but his Dam's name was "Hell on Wheels". I should have paid closer attention to that.
I also have an 8 year old Yellow Labrador who is 92 punds- both big boys.
Anyone have an idea how to discourage rock eating?
We have a bucket muzzle but right now the rocks are under snow and frozen, so he's not as attentive to them.
I am hoping it's a "grow up" problem and will dissapate in time!!
Has anyone else had this problem? Help !!!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts