Golden Retriever Dog Forums banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Getting both pros/cons of flying with dogs, I had resigned myself to local car trips camping for the rest of my life if I wanted to take Murphy. A neighbour said they routinely drive to Mexico with their 10yr golden and it does not appear to take as along as I had thought. They also lived in Puerto Vallarta with their dog for several years so I will be hitting them up for advice also.

Based on initial thoughts I was leaning towards Ensenada as it does not appear to be that far (25 hrs travel roughly) and its near San Diego which I love.

Does anyone have any advice to offer in terms of places to look at, safe for dogs, beaches that are dog friendly would be ideal? I have an SUV but am also looking at some small trailer options if that is advised.

Yes I speak Spanish, lived/worked in Central America years ago, just never traveled out of Western Canada/US with a pet. As an aside, any interest in doing this together? Thanks

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,647 Posts
First I would check what documents you would need for your dogs to be able to enter and exit Mexico.

I would check out what type of Emergency Vet Care may be available where you are planning to be.

I don't have any recommendations for you really as I'm not familiar with that part of Mexico. It sounds like fun though.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks, those are helpful tips.

Reactions: CAROLINA MOM

·
Mandy's Mom
1,488 Posts
Road trips with the dogs are fun! My first thought is drinking water, do they still say it isn't safe to drink the water in Mexico? I've never been there so I could be way off base with that.

We took a road trip last spring and because we had to stop more often for the dog, we got to see some quaint little towns. We loved it and so did Flirty. She did great!

·
In the Moment
20,515 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't be driving into Mexico (in fact I wouldn't travel there unless in a very touristy resort). The violence down there is staggering. My sister and bil live very close to the border and used to go down into Mexico often camping, fishing, shopping etc and no longer do so...... just too dangerous.

·
Registered
13,492 Posts
Personally, I wouldn't be driving into Mexico (in fact I wouldn't travel there unless in a very touristy resort). The violence down there is staggering. My sister and bil live very close to the border and used to go down into Mexico often camping, fishing, shopping etc and no longer do so...... just too dangerous.
I was thinking the same thing. Last time I was in Mexico was 8 years ago, in Cozumel and it was really scary with the guards with their machine guns. It is worse now.

I would be so afraid that something would go wrong and I would not be able to bring my dogs back into the US, especially since you are from Canada - two different customs you have to worry about.

Reactions: golfgal

·
Registered
13,071 Posts
I have to say, this was my first thought, too. Mexico is not a country I'd drive through alone with my dog.

Reactions: golfgal

·
Registered
499 Posts
My Aunt (in her 70s) and her DH drive their SUV from Campbell River BC to Arizona every year in December for a couple of months. Take their dog Wilson too.

·
Super Moderator Leader
49,647 Posts
Road trips with the dogs are fun! My first thought is drinking water, do they still say it isn't safe to drink the water in Mexico? I've never been there so I could be way off base with that.

We took a road trip last spring and because we had to stop more often for the dog, we got to see some quaint little towns. We loved it and so did Flirty. She did great!
In certain areas of Mexico the water is safe, others it isn't.
If you're in a large tourist area such as Cancun or Cozumel, the water is safe to drink. They have water filtration systems, many of the Resorts do too.

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
You are a brave person! I would never risk my life traveling to interior Mexico. Too many travel advisories against it! My husband flies into Mexico City and the tourist areas. They have had several crews on the way to layover hotels carjacked. They took everything including airline uniforms. They ended up changing schedules to allow for more turn arounds and fewer layovers to protect airline employees. Plus in Mexico City they went to a layover hotel on airport grounds. They advise crews not to venture out.

·
Murphy's Human, Kam
1,116 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Trust me, safety is something I'm definitely keeping in mind. May just need to stop in San Diego instead, more golfing there anyway. Keep the tips coming, they are very helpful as I'm trying to figure out warm places to vacation during winter.

Reactions: cubbysan

·
Registered
21,245 Posts
Well, you can't drive there, but Hawaii is nice and warm and has great golf, plus other attractions! :) What about Arizona? There are lots of nice golf resorts there!

1 - 13 of 13 Posts